Search

Same day Stanby SFO-YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Same day Stanby SFO-YVR

I know that I can do a same day standby from SFO-YVR (Canada). The question is:

Can I do it online when I check-in in the morning or do I have to go to the airport or call? Fare rules state that I can do it up to 4 hours in advance on the flight I want to take.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can do it online.

More info: http://www.united.com/page/article/1...ml#samedayinfo

Although the information above is for confirmed same day change, I believe you can choose to stand by for free as well.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Question

Question for the United folks, I'm flying AA and the SO is flying United on Momday LAS-DCA. Looks like we will both be utilizing the same day standby feature with our respective airlines. How early can you call in with United to confirm your seat? Will 12:01 work? What time zone does United work off of?

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 2P
If you want *confirmed* standby, it's 4 hours before the flight you want to standby on.

If you just want to standby, you can get the DM card at checkin.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info! Another question for you. Since we are on the 8am and want to fly on like the 1pm or so which is outside of the 4 hour window (he has no United status) how accomodating is United if you "miss" your flight (assuming there's room on the later flight)?

Thanks again!

(I'm flying AA that day in F with my status so I'm in a better position than him I'm guessing!)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P
If you miss your flight, you are space available standby for the remaining flights of the day. If there is no room on the later flights you are officially S-O-L.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:59 pm

Thanks! At least if there's a good number of seats he can hopefully get on something through somewhere!

(side note: he needs status!)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
What time zone does United work off of?
UA works off CDT ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:13 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help! Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
What time zone does United work off of?

Thanks!!!
It is the time zone of the departure city. In your case, it will be Pacific Time zone for LAS.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Thanks for the info! Another question for you. Since we are on the 8am and want to fly on like the 1pm or so which is outside of the 4 hour window (he has no United status) how accomodating is United if you "miss" your flight (assuming there's room on the later flight)?

Thanks again!

(I'm flying AA that day in F with my status so I'm in a better position than him I'm guessing!)
United is usually very accomodating about missed flights if you present yourself at the airport within 2 hours of your originally scheduled departure.

<G>
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
You can do it online.

More info: http://www.united.com/page/article/1...ml#samedayinfo

Although the information above is for confirmed same day change, I believe you can choose to stand by for free as well.
The link above now reads "for 50 United States." Anyone have any recent experience as to whether you can still do the same day confirmed change for USA to Canada?

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You have always been able to standby to Canada - and can do this on OLCI, but I think only for earlier flights, not later. I have gone standby to Canada several times, though not so recently. I doubt they would change this though, considering that Canada is considered domestic from a service perspective. If, for some weird reason, they don't allow it anymore, I would use this as an argument.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:57 am

You can standby for later as well as earlier flights. Some gate agents may tell you otherwise, but they are incorrect.

The only real difference between voluntarily standing by for a later flight and the "flat tire" rule is that in the latter case United will still try to get you to your destination the next day if all of today's flights are sold out.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by gabrielz
United is usually very accomodating about missed flights if you present yourself at the airport within 2 hours of your originally scheduled departure.

<G>
United's flat tire policy is accommodating, but it's load factors aren't. Remember, once you miss your confirmed flight you are flying standby and no longer hold a confirmed seat. If the remaining flights of the day are full, you are SOL.

Depending on the time of year and the day of the week, sometimes this is a tough route to get on (there were several times I couldn't clear for the whole day as an NRSA even when the loads looked decent the night before).

Just want to caution you that it is safest to stick with your confirmed ticket instead of doing standby for a later flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.