Wiki Posts
Search

Two SWUs needed for stopover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Two SWUs needed for stopover?

Have a trip planed to go SFO<-->BKK via NRT and return has a stopover at NRT for 3 days.

Not sure do I need two upgrade instruments for the return legs (BKK->NRT and NRT->SFO) or just one so I had a itinerary on hold and called to ask United agent. Was told by two agents only need one for both legs. I purchased the ticket and request for upgrade, it really need two according to the 3rd agent. Anyone has done it with only one SWU? Thanks!

Last edited by wendySFO; Mar 21, 2007 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely two SWU's for any stopover over 12 hours... if you are willing to take the risk and wont be angry if it is pulled go ahead and do it, but it should pull two for a three day stopover.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is one case where mileage upgrades are superior to SWUs - one mileage upgrade will work across a stopover.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: Peon extraordinaire
though mileage upgrades allow for a stopover, so if you're on an H-fare or higher, that may be better than burning two SWUs
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks lucky for your reply, didn't know the 12 hours rule. Thanks!

I was planing to have H fare for return legs ($95 more for Q fare I have now) so I have option to use miles to upgrade the BKK to NRT leg in stead of burning 3 SWUs in one trip. Oh well, probably need to call again to book the H fare if it is two SWUs.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is one case where mileage upgrades are superior to SWUs - one mileage upgrade will work across a stopover.
Thanks mahasamatman and KeyManRisk. I see what may have happened to cause the confusion now. When I called the first two agents, I did have a H fare booking on hold but since I heard only need one upgrade so I bought the Q fare. Didn't know there is difference between upgrade with miles and upgrade with SWUs beside the fare rule. Thanks very much to all!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
If you can fare up to an H, you can do mileage all the way.

Otherwise, just forget about upgrading the BKK-NRT segment; it's not that long a segment anyway and unless you're swimming in SWUs, not worth burning it for this leg; use your SWU for NRT-SFO.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
If you can fare up to an H, you can do mileage all the way.

Otherwise, just forget about upgrading the BKK-NRT segment; it's not that long a segment anyway and unless you're swimming in SWUs, not worth burning it for this leg; use your SWU for NRT-SFO.
This is great to learn from here that milage upgrade allow stopover! I would probably drop the BKK to NRT upgrade if have to, never have enough SWUs
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
While not as long as the transpac, BKK-NRT is still 2889 miles. (Roughly the same as BOS-DUB).
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
While not as long as the transpac, BKK-NRT is still 2889 miles. (Roughly the same as BOS-DUB).
I am able to get the mileage upgrade for the return trip with H fare so great not to sit in the coach or burn one SWU for this.

While looking at the upgrade chart, it is 10000 miles to upgrade BKK - NRT(South Asia to Japan). Pretty good value IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.