Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What to do if you lose a confirmed SWU C Seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond

So I've read through the postings and am still a little confused...

Myself and my SO are confirmed C with my SWUs (or F in two class) SEA->LAX->LHR->IAD->SEA. From what I've read, there definitely is a chance of a downgrade.(not sure how often it happens seems rare, but there are quite a few posts about it...)

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is anything you can do or expect to receive if you are downgraded. On one side, people seem to be talking that you do not deserve anything but your SWU while others seem to be talking about downgrade compensation.

I probably read too quickly, but what are you entitled to if you are downgraded from an SWU??? Should you play polite-hardball? AKA "I won't get on the plane, please find me an alternative", or you take what you get?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United used to offer "downgrade kits", which were basically an additional upgrade instrument and a voucher. If sounds like they're not offering those any more (or at least less often).

Unless you want to get an ulcer, it doesn't pay to worry about whether this will happen - it's very rare.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Ah alright, so I'll just go in thinking that if they give me anything (apart from my SWU) I should be happy...

As long as its extremely rare I'm happy. For some reason I had the impression it was a little more than extremely rare..
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by melampus83
Ah alright, so I'll just go in thinking that if they give me anything (apart from my SWU) I should be happy...

As long as its extremely rare I'm happy. For some reason I had the impression it was a little more than extremely rare..
Medium rare, perhaps?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

bleh, in UA speak that means its gonna happen to you at least once in your life...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, KLM Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Skywards Blue, Priority Club Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by melampus83
bleh, in UA speak that means its gonna happen to you at least once in your life...
Or twice Do not worry, when it happens sort it out directely. It defenitely will save you a lot of trouble. I am waiting on a proper response for 4 weeks.

Chrz!

Diederick
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As your profile says you're a 1K, I seriously doubt it would happen to you. UA takes pretty good care of their 1Ks, it's everyone else they don't really care about...

When it happened to me a few years ago, I was offered a paper SWU for future travel. After complaining to UA directly, partially about how it was handled as I was told that sometimes more important customers need the seats & the fact that they still deducted 30K miles from my account (I was flying BKK-NRT-LAX-IAD & had a stopoever in LAX - I used a SWU for BKK-NRT-LAX & had another SWU for LAX-IAD - for some reason, they pulled 30K from my account saying that the BKK agent didn't lift the SWU when she definitely did), they issued me a 200.00 voucher valid on any UA operated itin. One of the reasons I pushed for compensation was because I had originally bought one ticket price & then paid up to get into a higher fare basis so I could upgrade. Had I known I would have been flying coach on that segment, I wouldn't have bought that segment in the higher fare basis.

That experience, the countless delays I am almost guaranteed to encounter whenever I fly on UA, and the attitude of a number of front line associates I've encountered everywhere from ticketing to RCCs to inflight, are the reason why this DC based flyer has pushed the majority of his business to NW. Sure, the UA FF program is probably one of the best for high mileage flyers, but the service & policies take away from all of that.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:58 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Diederick
Or twice Do not worry, when it happens sort it out directely. It defenitely will save you a lot of trouble. I am waiting on a proper response for 4 weeks.

Chrz!

Diederick

It would be easier to sort out if the OP knew what to expect in terms of compensation!!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

UA takes pretty good care of their 1Ks, it's everyone else they don't really care about...
Ouch.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You asked what I would do...if it were a long-haul, I simply wouldn't go. Wait out for the next flight or something.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosesplus
It would be easier to sort out if the OP knew what to expect in terms of compensation!!
I saw the profile posted on the forums... Is that what you were talking about?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:56 am

Just returned back from GRU and on the way down, via IAD, my traveling companion got called the the podium.

This was after the agent asked for volunteers to fly down the next day in exchange for a CS$400, hotel and meals.

When my friend got to the podium, the agent told him that his upgraded "C" seat was needed for a passenger who paid FULL FARE for his seat. So my friend was downgraded and given a "Downgarde Kit" which consisted of a SWU and a CS$200.

The passenger that paid fulll fare got my friends seat, that was right next to me. I asked him how much his ticket cost him and he told me that he paid OVER $6100 for the seat.

Also, the SWU that was pulled was promised to be returned and so far it hasn't. It has less than a week so he will give it more time. We started from SFO and that it where it was pulled.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yeah,

yeah, one of the only reasons for status, is upgrades. If they take that away, i'll just quit.

As a 1K, I have been downgraded twice last year, but none international. our upcoming flights now to SHA, with miles, in C, man if they would ever do a downgrade, I think I would just explode. I mean, a confirmed C upgrade, miles deducted and then Y for 14 hours at the podium?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by nmenaker
yeah, one of the only reasons for status, is upgrades. If they take that away, i'll just quit.

As a 1K, I have been downgraded twice last year, but none international. our upcoming flights now to SHA, with miles, in C, man if they would ever do a downgrade, I think I would just explode. I mean, a confirmed C upgrade, miles deducted and then Y for 14 hours at the podium?
Yup, this is exactly what I fear. Although I don't want to start taking a "the sky is falling" attitude to it either since I haven't had that happen to me yet.

Good to know they still give out downgrade kits internationally though... I just didn't want to have them say "Sorry, tough luck".
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UNITED959
You asked what I would do...if it were a long-haul, I simply wouldn't go. Wait out for the next flight or something.
Or ask UA to get me a C seat on other airlines such as SQ/NH/NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.