Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United College Plus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

United College Plus

Hey Everyone, i'm just starting out taking care of my United Mileage Plus Account. My parents were taking care of it until i went to college. Anyways, i'm currently a member of UA's College Plus Program (http://united.com/collegeplus) I just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on it (pros/cons) or if there were any hidden strings that people have run across (or if i should stay with the program)

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
You should stay with it until you are done with school. For every completed degree level, i.e. Undergrad, Master and Doctorate, College Plus will award you 10K bonuses respectively. So if you are starting out as a freshman, you have a potential of 30K miles when you get your Ph.D. You'll have to mail MP your final transcript or something upon degree completion. Check out their website for details.

You can also start with the no-fee College Plus Visa card. The sign-up bonus miles are not as good as the regular MP Visa but will be a good way to start building your own credit history.

Welcome to FT!

Last edited by lin821; Feb 5, 2007 at 1:59 am
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by bver100
(or if i should stay with the program)

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I agree that you should stay with the program.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since the question is about an offering of United's Mileage Plus program, I'll move this to the UA MP forum.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Once I finished my grad degree I signed up for the program, mailed in my transcript and received 10k bonus miles. Took about 3 weeks to post. It's an easy (and incredibly expensive - tuition) way to get 10k bonus miles.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold
I started paying attention to my travel and the incidental benefit of programs well into my 20's... As someone who did travel through college, I wish I would have known earlier what I know today.... Stay with the program. Having an addiction like earning points/miles/free stuff is a lot better than other addictions I can think of !
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by homestar
Having an addiction like earning points/miles/free stuff is a lot better than other addictions I can think of !
Ain't that the truth. I just wish AA offered a similar benefit to students.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Cool, i'll stay with it =) How much _is_ 10000 miles in the grand scheme of things anyways? Is there anything i have to do to take care of the account or w/e?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bver100
How much _is_ 10000 miles in the grand scheme of things anyways? Is there anything i have to do to take care of the account or w/e?
25,000 miles is a free domestic round trip. You need to have some account activity every 18 months. I suggest signing up for Mileage Plus Dining and Grocery Miles - they work automatically so you never really have to think about the miles if you're not flying much while you're in school.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: BA
I didn't start managing my MP account till 2 years ago. and i'm so glad I found out about this site or else I wouldn't be a 1P today
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, CO Gold, Starwood Plat
I'm a newly-minted 2P who is also in grad school at the moment. I am tempted by the 10,000 free miles, but I worry a little that joining will in some way "screw up" my elite status (crazier things at UA have happened!). I know that sounds a little irrational... Does anyone think there's reason for me not to join CollegePlus?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by acailuv
I know that sounds a little irrational... Does anyone think there's reason for me not to join CollegePlus?
No, but I can think of 10K reasons to join.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:01 pm
fwh

Originally Posted by acailuv
I'm a newly-minted 2P who is also in grad school at the moment. I am tempted by the 10,000 free miles, but I worry a little that joining will in some way "screw up" my elite status (crazier things at UA have happened!). I know that sounds a little irrational... Does anyone think there's reason for me not to join CollegePlus?

I've been a 2P since 2004. I'm also in Grad School now and joined college plus just before I graduated with a Bachelor's last year in April. I got the 10k miles and so far nothing has screwed up!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think UA really did a good job with this scheme, I mean luring students just as they enter the corporate world and catching them young. I don't think anybody has this program right?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I don't think anybody has this program right?
AFAIK no other airline has a similar program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.