Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Need Help: Upgrade on Lufthansa flight that is United Operated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat.

first off I apologize as I am sure this is covered somewhere.. but I failed to find it..

I have an itinerary that was booked through Lufthansa with United operated flights. When I called UA to try and apply my SWUs, they said I needed paper upgrades since it was booked through lufthansa. However, when I received these upgrades in the mail it says they are to be used on Lufthansa only and cannot be used on United. I am worried when I go check in at the United counter since it is a United operated flight they won't take the certificate..

I just wanted to check if anyone knew if these certificates are going to work?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Whoops, you got uber bad info. Return the certs to UA to have them redeposited. You must have a UA-valid cert for these flights. Booking them through LH just means you can't request the upgrade in advance (i.e. until check-in), but you can only use UA certs (usually electronic, but can rarely be found in paper form). In your case, you need to have them put back into electronic form.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
This kind of thing drives me crazy. Honestly, why can't the CSRs either give you correct information or admit that they do not know the correct answer and put you on hold while they get clarification?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Muckus
This kind of thing drives me crazy. Honestly, why can't the CSRs either give you correct information or admit that they do not know the correct answer and put you on hold while they get clarification?
My guess, subject to correction by the OP, is that he probably said something along the lines "I am ticketed on a Lufthansa flight number and would like to upgrade using an SWU" and the MP desk acted accordingly.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevenshev
My guess, subject to correction by the OP, is that he probably said something along the lines "I am ticketed on a Lufthansa flight number and would like to upgrade using an SWU" and the MP desk acted accordingly.
The first time i called I actually just asked to be upgraded they pulled up my itinerary and said I needed paper upgrades and had them sent out. I then called again and explained the upgrades I received and that it did not seem right as the upgrade certs specifically said they could not be used on United and they again assured me they would work after pulling up my itinerary.. so I just thought I would double check it on Flyertalk as this seems to be the only place to get good information..
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - one more question/clarification.. will I be able to use electronic upgrades from my account or will I need paper upgrades?

thanks in advance for your help..
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by UALkid1
Sorry - one more question/clarification.. will I be able to use electronic upgrades from my account or will I need paper upgrades?

thanks in advance for your help..
Since it is a UA flight you will need a E-SWU. When you checkin tell the CSR that you would like to upgrade. Then tell him/her that you would like to use an SWU.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Since it is a UA flight you will need a E-SWU. When you checkin tell the CSR that you would like to upgrade. Then tell him/her that you would like to use an SWU.
Well, you don't HAVE to have an e-SWU. But I don't see how you'd get your hands on a paper one that's usable on UA if you don't have one already. You will need to have e-SWUs in your account. You can use ones that are already there, or you can mail back the certs you got for use on LH (TAKE PHOTOCOPIES AND SEND IT REGISTERED MAIL) and they will be reconverted into SWUs.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Great!! Thanks for all of your help!! It was much appreciated!! And definitely will help to avoid one unhappy person at the airport!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
So he can't try to upgrade until check-in?

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Whoops, you got uber bad info. Return the certs to UA to have them redeposited. You must have a UA-valid cert for these flights. Booking them through LH just means you can't request the upgrade in advance (i.e. until check-in), but you can only use UA certs (usually electronic, but can rarely be found in paper form). In your case, you need to have them put back into electronic form.
I'd wondered about situations like this. So if I understand it correctly, the OP has no assurance of getting upgraded. He just tries when he checks in and gets the upgrade if one is still available?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'd wondered about situations like this. So if I understand it correctly, the OP has no assurance of getting upgraded. He just tries when he checks in and gets the upgrade if one is still available?
Correct, or goes on the DM list at that point. This does include OLCI by the way. Actually, if there are people on the waitlist who don't clear before check-in, the OP may go straight to the top of the list based on status and bucket if he checks in at T-24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.