Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

MP Miles Will Now Expire After 18 Months (Of No Activity)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Miles Will Now Expire After 18 Months (Of No Activity)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I wrote in and complained....but of course it does not good. It goes in the waste bin after they send back the same blah blah crap that they put in the press release.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:41 pm

can you post your picture here first?
Originally Posted by dcgators
They can always send flowers via FTD.com to a loved one once a year.

If they do not have anyone, they can send me flowers anytime ...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:16 am

Programs: SQ Gold, SPG Plat
18 months is REALLY too short... so decided to liquidate most of my miles for 4 redemption tickets in J Class for SIN/HKG. Excellent On-Board Service in the upperdeck.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: NWA, AA, UA, PCR
Thumbs down boo united

this is so annoying.

my niece has earned a good chunck of miles flying to China last year for a school trip - she'll lose all of these if she doesn't remember to "buy a magazine" (as someone suggested) or something every year. She's in school she doesn't have time to keep track of FF miles! Nor does she have the money to fly that frequently to keep them - but when she graduates she'll most likely be in a position to do a lot of flying. It's a real shame that United thinks they can treat customers this way. She's disgusted. So am I.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by stelladove
Nor does she have the money to fly that frequently to keep them
So your saying she doesn't fly frequently enough to participate in a frequent flyer program?:

It's a real shame that United thinks they can treat customers this way. She's disgusted. So am I.
Unfortunately, UA is NOT the only company to have the 18 month policy

too bad her schedule is so busy that she can't perform one of the many (too numerous to mention) everyday things to earn an mile (to keep them from expiring)
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
It's a real shame that United thinks they can treat customers this way. She's disgusted. So am I.
I'm not sure what exactly you expect. (Almost) ALL airlines expire their miles, and no airline gives you longer than 2 years these days (edit: apparently 3 for AS, although AS isn't quite a full competitor of UA). Moreover, it's a frequent flyer program, not a "I'll eventually be a frequent" flyer program. If a member is not flying frequently, the member needs to find some other way of keeping the account current. You'll be hard pressed to find better terms at any of the other major airlines, sorry.

Last edited by cepheid; Aug 27, 2007 at 3:38 pm Reason: edited to reflect that AS has a more lax policy
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cepheid
I'm not sure what exactly you expect. ALL airlines expire their miles, and no airline gives you longer than 2 years these days. Moreover, it's a frequent flyer program, not a "I'll eventually be a frequent" flyer program. If a member is not flying frequently, the member needs to find some other way of keeping the account current. You'll find no better terms at any of the other airlines, sorry.
Does AS expire miles? I still have 1,500 and haven't done anything with them for minimum 3 years.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does AS expire miles? I still have 1,500 and haven't done anything with them for minimum 3 years.
from there website:
Mileage Expiration
Mileage Plan Miles do not have an expiration date and may remain in an active account indefinitely, provided that the Mileage Plan Program has not been terminated pursuant to these Conditions of Membership. However, not withstanding any term to the contrary, if a Mileage Plan account is inactive for 3 years, Alaska Airlines may close the account, delete any mileage balance and reassign the Mileage Plan number. Deleted mileage cannot be reinstated. Activity in an account includes redeeming a Mileage Plan award or accruing mileage in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Program.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Right or wrong, finding ways to discriminate between customers who are paying attention and those who are not is a favorite pastime of businesses (and even government) these days. This provides lower prices and better benefits to people like FTers at the expense of the general public.

If it bothers you enough, quit the miles game and go with hotwire or priceline for a low price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.