Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2007 Business Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold

Since anyone inbound from SYD right now is in 2007, it's time for a new thread on UA meal service in premium cabins, since no self-respecting FTer would ever be caught in international or p.s. economy.

General consensus from year's past was that folks preferred a seperate thread for each cabin, to make it easier to search. So this one if for So this one if for Domestic and International Business Class meals..

The one for Domestic and International First Class meals can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6928517

So with that, "Let's Eat!"
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
IAD-DEN (Dinner)

I hope our meal and service on Flt 903 from IAD-DEN last night is not indicative of what is to come for 2007.

This was a 5:30pm departure so I was expecting dinner. Turns out it was more like a lunch. The choices were pulled pork sandwhich or cheese pasta. We ordered one of each. Pulled pork was dry and laid on top of half of a hard piece of french bread served with the oven potatoes. The pasta was also very dry. Neither was served with a salad and bread was not offered. Along with each came a small piece of what I think was key lime pie served on the tray with the meal. The meal was reminicsent of when they used to serve meals in economy class.

No linens were distributed.

Crew took quite a while to start beverage service and taking meal requests. When taking meal requests, the FA went down the first aisle and then over to our isle. When she got to us she warned that the pasta would likely be unavailable. I thought that even though they now take orders by row they still sort it out by status? Regardless, the delivery of the message could be improved.

Last edited by drobbva; Jan 1, 2007 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by drobbva
The meal was reminicsent of when they used to serve meals in economy class.
This is my general feeling on United's First Class domestic meal service.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Apologize if this is an obvious question... my parents are taking their first trip in international C, and they keep kosher. Are kosher meals in premium cabins also premium-level food, or are they just the same as the Y kosher meals?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by turing
Apologize if this is an obvious question... my parents are taking their first trip in international C, and they keep kosher. Are kosher meals in premium cabins also premium-level food, or are they just the same as the Y kosher meals?
They would get the same main course that is served in Y; however, they would be able to enjoy the same breads, sides, and desserts (if kosher) as premium cabin passangers.

Atleast, that's the way it works with vegetarian meals.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by turing
YMMV

While I don't have specific experience with kosher meals, I've recently started ordering special meals for some of my flights - not because I need to, but b/c I'm sick of some of the crap UA tries to pass off as a premium meal.

Occasionally, the special meals aren't boarded. I've found no rhyme or reason as to why the meals aren't boarded and if I really had a special dietary restriction, I'd be somewhat peeved that my request wasn't honored - especially on a long flight where I was expecting to be fed.

On some of the flights, I've received a premium meal that was similar in quantity and presentation as the other C meals: special appetizer and salad, then a special main dish that's usually accompanied by a special dessert.

However, I've also received meals that were similar in size and quality to economy meals. These are gross warmed over globs of stuff replated on china.

Over time, it seems some stations are better than others. As an example, SFO and LAX have good low fat meals but I won't touch the IVML garbage they serve for breakfast.

Perhaps you could post your parents routing and others with experience may chime in on what specifically you can expect...

Last edited by work2fly; Jan 2, 2007 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
Over time, it seems some stations are better than others. As an example, SFO and LAX have good low fat meals but I won't touch the IVML garbage they serve for breakfast.
Any idea what I'd get IVML wise on a redeye LAX-ORD?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
YMMV

While I don't have specific experience with kosher meals, I've recently started ordering special meals for some of my flights - not because I need to, but b/c I'm sick of some of the crap UA tries to pass off as a premium meal.

Occasionally, the special meals aren't boarded. I've found no rhyme or reason as to why the meals aren't boarded and if I really had a special dietary restriction, I'd be somewhat peeved that my request wasn't honored - especially on a long flight where I was expecting to be fed.

On some of the flights, I've received a premium meal that was similar in quantity and presentation as the other C meals: special appetizer and salad, then a special main dish that's usually accompanied by a special dessert.

However, I've also received meals that were similar in size and quality to economy meals. These are gross warmed over globs of stuff replated on china.

Perhaps you could post your parents routing and others with experience may chime in on what specifically you can expect...
They're flying IAD-AMS and returning BRU-IAD (though not until late April/early May). I talked them into getting a C award ticket instead of Y, so I want them to get the full experience.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. Low fat meals are great, at least on redeyes from SFO. Unfortunately, the low fat meal I had from SAN was absolutely terrible!

Here is the low fat redeye meal. ^
Here is the low calorie redeye meal.

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Jan 2, 2007 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Hilton Silver VIP
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
They would get the same main course that is served in Y; however, they would be able to enjoy the same breads, sides, and desserts (if kosher) as premium cabin passangers.

Atleast, that's the way it works with vegetarian meals.
MZKaiser--I'm not totally sure this is true. The rules governing kashrut (the rules of keeping kosher) are very stringent, and for many Jewish folks, it's not a lifestyle choice but a requirement, so the airlines tend to err on the strictest side. Kosher meals are usually completely self-contained and wrapped to insure that they don't make contact with things that aren't kosher.

We probably ought to defer to any of our FTers out there who may have actually ordered a C kosher meal for their report.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
1/2/07 ORD-LAX in C for a dinner flight 5 PM departure on a 777 - drinks were offered before departure, then warm nuts after takeoff. Drink service was frequent throughout the flight. Entree choices were a sausage sandwich open faced with peppers and melted cheese and oven roasted potatoes or some kind of lasagna with a baked potato. I had the sausage sandwich. It was very mediocre. The bread was too tough to cut. The potatoes were poor. They were very dry and didn't look like they were washed. I gave the FAs some chocolates and they were a big hit. I was surprised that a number of FAs stopped by to thank me. FAs did a great job on this flight, so thumbs up for that.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:59 pm

Programs: 1K
IAD-LAX UA947 5:47pm Business Class

Warm Nuts after takeoff

Hot Towel service before dinner

Choices:
Pan-Fried MahiMahi
Cheese Tortellini

(I was surprised there was only a choice between fish or pasta... since I hate/afraid of the fish on flights, I had to eat the tortellini)

Bread Choice: Whole Grain Roll or Foccacia

Desert: Key lime pie
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
These dinner options are scaring me. Sandwiches and unimaginative pasta! Is this really the direction UA wants to go in 2007? Hopefully they will roll out something special in the meal department when the new F/C products begin to roll out.

I'm looking forward to my AA premium cabin dining experience next week. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
UA 941 ORD-LAX, Jan. 2, 2007

Business Class
Dinner

"Bolognese Lasagna or Sausage Sandwich" is what the FA told me.

Thinking what a Sausage Sandwich might be like, I quickly said, "Bolognese Lasagna" as did my seatmate.

Also, I noticed the FA going around to particular people in the cabin getting their orders first. I thought they had stopped taking orders by status (as the FA was presumably doing).

The Lasagna was a bit watery and a bit bland. I was hungry though, so it was alright. It came with some sliced zucchini which was quite good with a touch of salt and a dash of pepper.

I did not get a good look at the Sausage Sandwich, but I seem to think it was like the Pulled Pork Sandwich mentioned in a previous post and that I have had on an DEN-IAD flight.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Originally Posted by number5858
1/2/07 ORD-LAX in C for a dinner flight 5 PM departure on a 777 - drinks were offered before departure, then warm nuts after takeoff. Drink service was frequent throughout the flight. Entree choices were a sausage sandwich open faced with peppers and melted cheese and oven roasted potatoes or some kind of lasagna with a baked potato. I had the sausage sandwich. It was very mediocre. The bread was too tough to cut. The potatoes were poor. They were very dry and didn't look like they were washed. I gave the FAs some chocolates and they were a big hit. I was surprised that a number of FAs stopped by to thank me. FAs did a great job on this flight, so thumbs up for that.
I will agree that the FAs were great on this flight. I should have remembered to hand out some GTEM certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.