Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Exclusive Saver Award inventory" a useful 1k benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Is the above stated benefit useful?
Does it work in practice or is it idle rhetoric?
I'm after 3 or 4 seats on a very busy holiday route for july next year thats only showing 1 seat and has been for a while (on UA metal). Would being 1k magically open up a delirium of award seats?
Thanks.

YES - I tried the search, NO luck at all...
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
NY seats are only available for domestic award (or so I've heard), so if you are looking for Int'l flights, you are SOL.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
NY inventory is now viewable on united.com. Search for a standard award (yes STANDARD), and mouse over the "show flight details" link. All classes (revenue and award) are shown.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisw
NY inventory is now viewable on united.com. Search for a standard award (yes STANDARD), and mouse over the "show flight details" link. All classes (revenue and award) are shown.
Well, now that's WAY COOL!!! I had not discovered this new feature. WAY overdue. Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77
NY seats are only available for domestic award (or so I've heard), so if you are looking for Int'l flights, you are SOL.
This is incorrect. The 1K saver bucket (NY) is available for Int'l flights as well. In fact I just booked an NY a couple weeks ago from IAD-CDG as the last seat available was in the NY bucket only, and not available as an XY seat.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA
You can also use www.seatcounter.com to take a look at saver/1k award availability. Enter "UA" as the airline in TWO boxes to see award and upgrade codes.

In my (admittedly limited) experience with this, I have to say I have seldom seen cases where the number of seats available for 1Ks differed by more than one or two seats from those available for everyone. So it's a nice perk, but I wouldn't call it a "delirium of award seats."

Good luck.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
It was certainly a useful benefit for me when there were two NY but no XY on award travel for my parents last week.

Saved my bacon (and my miles).
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:55 pm

I noticed that on the new site, if you are logged in as a 1K, you are booked in NY even if XY is available. If you are logged in as anything else, you are booked in XY.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I wish that UA would release some C/F inventory too. It seems a waste to offer a bonus of free economy seats. If you're a 1K, you probably already have the means to purchase an economy seat. Instead, I'd appreciate a benefit like 1 C seat a year as opposed to the extra Y inventory.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
here here, that would be a true benifit if they added 1K only C/F award buckets! Who wants to fly Y?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
here here, that would be a true benifit if they added 1K only C/F award buckets! Who wants to fly Y?
Hear, hear! That would be a valuable benefit.

The N bucket for 1K's has been marginally useful to me, but it has helped in a couple of situations.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:06 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ryan182
It sure would...And I sure don't. But I DID on a short trip to IND for Thanksgiving for the finacee (with me on a revenue ticket)...No regular XY available, especially on the day before Thanksgiving. First time I used this benefit, and outside of shorter routes, I don't want to waste miles on coach!

(Side note, 1Ks CAN book the NY inventory for others, as I did for the above trip...But the miles do have to come out of the 1K's account).
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
(Side note, 1Ks CAN book the NY inventory for others, as I did for the above trip...But the miles do have to come out of the 1K's account).
Are you sure about this? The agent I got wouldn't let me do this, but maybe it was just an unknowledgeable agent. I am still interested in doing this because there was only 1 NY seat and the wife and I needed two. The agent made ME take the NY seat and my wife waitlist for the flight, but since my wife is a General Member, she won't have near the success on waitlisting as I would as a 1K. I wanted to book the NY seat for my wife and then take my (better) chances waitlisting myself............ Have a lot of other people had success booking an NY seat for others? How about for others NOT traveling with you?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K

Last edited by JBlaine; Nov 29, 2006 at 3:09 am
Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Lifetime *G
Originally Posted by JBlaine
I think this perception might be misleading. I played around with some dummy bookings tonight and found international flights with NC4, XC0. So apparently, there are extra award seats in C for 1K. Also saw a NF2, XF0 for a SYD-SFO flight.
Unfortunately, I think you'll find that NC and NF is upgrade inventory. I've availed myself of plenty of it, but you have to have SWU's or miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.