Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 miles short of 1K: cheapest solution?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:21 am
Original Poster

60 miles short of 1K: cheapest solution?

Here's the deal. I'm a current 2K, trying to make 1K for the year.

I'm doing one more cross-country trip in December which gets me, unfortunately, ~60 miles short of 1K.

My question is: what is the cheapest way I can get the 60 miles? Try to find the shortest possible trip from SEA (where I'm based) and fly it?

Is that my only alternative, or is there a way to purchase gap miles to make up the difference?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Can you add one segment to your December cross-country trip? If you give us your routing/city pairs we can probably add a segment painlessly. If it's not already booked, it should be easy to find a routing with an extra segment. If it is already booked, the $100 change fee may be a fairly cheap option.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:25 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Can you add a connection to your trip in December?

As for finding cheap trips, you don't need the shortest, just the cheapest. Since any roundtrip is going to get you 500 miles each way, there is no flight that would leave you short.

You can use mileage plus visa "choices" to buy some EQMs, but I don't know any details (and they may not apply to this year).
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:37 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by robb
Can you add a connection to your trip in December?

As for finding cheap trips, you don't need the shortest, just the cheapest. Since any roundtrip is going to get you 500 miles each way, there is no flight that would leave you short.

You can use mileage plus visa "choices" to buy some EQMs, but I don't know any details (and they may not apply to this year).
What robb and I said

Yes you can use (iirc) 10,000 of your your "choices" to purchase 1000 EQMs (that's the minimum, I think?)

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 20, 2006 at 2:51 am
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:48 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I agree with the above. It must be possible to route your DEC trip to get that extra 60 miles. Alternatively, book it as B fare (or even just one segment in B) and get 150% EQM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Or if you have a United Visa card you can get EQM's for purchasing tickets for future travel (up to 5,000 per year, I think....)
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by actonma
Or if you have a United Visa card you can get EQM's for purchasing tickets for future travel (up to 5,000 per year, I think....)
At this point, there's no way it will post in time.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You can always fly SEA-GEG or SEA-PDX as a quick turn as well. Bit pricier but will definitely give you the miles you need.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by josquin

My question is: what is the cheapest way I can get the 60 miles? Try to find the shortest possible trip from SEA (where I'm based) and fly it?

Is that my only alternative, or is there a way to purchase gap miles to make up the difference?

Thanks for any advice!
What abt. signing up for MP VISA Platinum? Will give you 5,000 EQM. ^
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
The OP can fly SEA-YVR on AC. That will be the shortest flight.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Again, I wouldn't just look at shortest. Sometimes the shortest flights can be among the most expensive. Since ANY trip will get you across the finish line, instead look for the cheapest destination.

For example, I just pulled up a travelocity dream map from SEA and note that Salt Lake City is $203, but the farther trip to Denver can be had for $123 (These are not UA specific fares, just examples of why shortest != cheapest).
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:27 pm

my guess is that the cheapest way is to call mileage plus and ask them whether they will really require you to fly the extra 60 miles before doing anything else.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrAOK
my guess is that the cheapest way is to call mileage plus and ask them whether they will really require you to fly the extra 60 miles before doing anything else.
For us OCD people that just won't work, I (personally) want to be 100% sure.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Triple3
What abt. signing up for MP VISA Platinum? Will give you 5,000 EQM.
Won't post in time.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:09 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
What robb and I said

Yes you can use (iirc) 10,000 of your your "choices" to purchase 1000 EQMs (that's the minimum, I think?)
Can you do this even if you don't have an (currently active) Visa? Or can you do this from your bank of regular miles? And how quickly do they post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.