Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 miles short of 1K: cheapest solution?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Executive
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Says who?
several FT's have gotten 1K with anywhere from 95-99K EQM's...

if I ended up with 99K EQM's and didn't get 1K, watch me be MP's worst nightmare on the phone, and switch to AA immediately.
(which UA would prevent me from doing by making me 1K)
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Alemania
several FT's have gotten 1K with anywhere from 95-99K EQM's...

if I ended up with 99K EQM's and didn't get 1K, watch me be MP's worst nightmare on the phone, and switch to AA immediately.
Name names please.
I have heard no such thing, just the opposite
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Name names please.
I have heard no such thing, just the opposite
don't have any names, but I did a thread search on this subjetct a while back.
found several posts of poeple who experienced a 'surprise 1K' status, when they were just short of 100K EQM's ...

I am myself considering a quick run to Australia with the double miles offer for $499 to get me to 1K, and those 6 SWU ....
but it'd be such a PITA ...

still debating ....
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why would they want to keep you? If you're going to be "MP's worst nightmare", they would more likely say "good riddance". And there would be much rejoicing. UA offers plenty of opportunities for EQM (some say too many). If you aren't willing to avail yourself of the opportunities, you don't deserve the status.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why would they want to keep you? If you're going to be "MP's worst nightmare", they would more likely say "good riddance". And there would be much rejoicing. UA offers plenty of opportunities for EQM (some say too many). If you aren't willing to avail yourself of the opportunities, you don't deserve the status.
I disagree completely.
It's in UA's interest to keep us, the most loyal customers happy.
And i've been very happy and loyal to UA.
Us FT's, especially all Intl. like myself, make up for 75% of all UA's revenue, by buying high fares.

I don't go out of my way, or waste my time to gain EQM's without a purpose for a trip, but if I finished the year with 95K EQM's and wouldn't be made 1K, I'd be very very disappointed.

My guess is they're more likely to bump you up a level if you've flown a lot of Y,B or better ...

Fewer trips in Y,B or better is more valuable than a dozen trips in S.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:44 pm

which reminds me ...

from what I've been told, you can be invited to UGS without having flown 100K EQM's....

so it's more relevant if you paid higher fares (=revenue) and actual BIS miles.

maybe that'll happen to me next year ...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
which reminds me ...

from what I've been told, you can be invited to UGS without having flown 100K EQM's....

so it's more relevant if you paid higher fares (=revenue) and actual BIS miles.

maybe that'll happen to me next year ...
I am going to guess it isn't, You live in the LA area. Your spend would have to be huge. Do a search for that.
They aren't going to let you slide anymore. I bet those posts are a few years old.
I hope they give you special treatment just don't be bummed out when they don't.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't go out of my way, or waste my time to gain EQM's without a purpose for a trip, but if I finished the year with 95K EQM's and wouldn't be made 1K, I'd be very very disappointed.
They publish the rules. If you're not willing to abide by them, you shouldn't expect them to break the rules just for you. If you're disappointed, you have only yourself to blame.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:58 pm

from what I've been told, you can be invited to UGS without having flown 100K EQM's..
Yes, UGS is renveue-driven, not mileage-driven. You can get UGS and never fly at all - if you're a large corporation's travel manager for example. As an individual, you could probably do it in most locations with 50K miles - assuming you flew enough full-fare F flights at $10,000+ a pop. But you still wouldn't be a 1K.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA GLD
I disagree completely.
It's in UA's interest to keep us, the most loyal customers happy.
And i've been very happy and loyal to UA.
Us FT's, especially all Intl. like myself, make up for 75% of all UA's revenue, by buying high fares.

My guess is they're more likely to bump you up a level if you've flown a lot of Y,B or better ...

Fewer trips in Y,B or better is more valuable than a dozen trips in S.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an interesting thread about how 1K MM GS members don't get called (by UA) when they have flown every week for the past sevral years, and have suddenly stopped flying them for several months.
So, for an individual to assume they are important to an airline with 500 Airplanes, 60K+ employees and many times that in revenue paying passengers is perhaps not realistic.
Also, I can't imagine UA being any more upset about a 1P not making 1K, than a 1K or a GS member irritation about being bumped/treated badly etc. What happens in those cases?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Is there more to be said on the poster's original question: "My question is: what is the cheapest way I can get the 60 miles?"

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Is there more to be said on the poster's original question: "My question is: what is the cheapest way I can get the 60 miles?"
I think it's pretty much all been said.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by cblaisd

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Yep. If I were the original poster, I'd be looking very carefully at my account summary, and make sure nothing was missed. If something was even remotely questionable, I'd be on the phone to MP to get it straightened out.

It's a longshot, but mistakes do happen from time to time.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, HH Gold
Call Mileage Plus

Quite honestly, you should call MP and tell them the situation. For as much as you fly and have flown they should be honored to keep you as a customer. I think that you might be surprised at their response. Let us know what happens. Good Luck!!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, HH Gold
Originally Posted by furrdog
Quite honestly, you should call MP and tell them the situation. For as much as you fly and have flown they should be honored to keep you as a customer. I think that you might be surprised at their response. Let us know what happens. Good Luck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.