Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 miles short of 1K: cheapest solution?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:31 pm

I am in the camp that advises redeeming regular UAMP miles in the "choices" option. I suspect you have to cough up a minimum, such as 1,000 miles. If not, you might get it for less. Basically, the formula is 10 regular miles for one EQM. They will only let you convert up to 5,000 EQM per year.

You could do this from your easy chair with minimum hassle, IMO. I believe you will have all the way to the end of the year to do it. You never know, you might unexpectedly come up with a need to do a trip before the year's out. Happens to all of us. In any event, the "choices" option is a comfortable fall back for you. Good luck.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Won't post in time.
U sure? Last year a friend of mine signed up around mid-November and the EQM were posted on Dec. 15. Heard of a lot of MPlers that the "year-end sign up" miles from Visa are frequently posted around Dec. 15...

Luckily I don't have to bother with those things anymore, now that I've become a mighty GS.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Triple3
U sure? Last year a friend of mine signed up around mid-November and the EQM were posted on Dec. 15.
Mine posted about two weeks after my first statement closing date. Since today is November 20, that would put it into the first week of January. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak

Alternatively, book it as B fare (or even just one segment in B) and get 150% EQM.
Seems like a very fast fix to me.

Glen
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gof
Can you do this even if you don't have an (currently active) Visa? Or can you do this from your bank of regular miles? And how quickly do they post?
Choices are miles earned from your Visa, which can be redeemed in multiple ways. If you don't have a Visa, you don't have any Choices points.

If you are asking whether Choices are still good after you cancel the card, my guess would be no, but I do not know for sure.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
If you are asking whether Choices are still good after you cancel the card, my guess would be no, but I do not know for sure.
The terms say you have to have an active credit card to redeem choices.

You must have previously earned miles with your Mileage Plus credit card and be a current cardmember to be able to login.
Also, the smallest increment is 10,000 choices for 1,000 EQM. You cannot do 1,000 choices for 100 EQM.

Charles
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I echo the suggestion for routing change/segment addition, if trip not already ticketed.

For example, I could've easily booked smf-ord-fll (return) for part of the 2XEQM promo, but instead, on the return, we'll be flying fll-iad-sea-pdx-sfo-smf. You do the math Cost 10 bucks more than the short route...

While some FT'ers use spreadsheets and calculate down to the precise EQM, I like a mid 3 zero pad just in case UA, the weather or fate screws up. Good luck!

Pat
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Seems like a very fast fix to me.
And very expensive, too - I suspect the double EQM promo would be cheaper. I'd say the SEA-DEN option would be the cheapest option.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:43 pm

i still think you should call united and ask, but for the record, fare compare claims sea to den is $118 round trip on us air on some days
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I disagree about calling United and asking. If you search, you'll find horror stories of agents who told somebody they could have something they didn't have the authority to give.

What would you do if you ended up short and just had a note that you spoke to somebody who told you it was okay? Even with a name, it's just no guarantee. I fought with UA for 9 months over a promo I was supposed to get and facts just weren't relevant to the debate--I wasn't going to get it and that was that.

Add a segment to your December trip. It's probably the cheapest combo of time/money and you can rest easy.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
robb beat me to it. robb is wise. Unless you had it in writing, signed, and from an employee empowered to really grant an exception (and how would you know if "yours" is?), you could find yourself an Almost-1K
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:34 pm

I echo the suggestion for routing change/segment addition, if the trip is not already ticketed.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Executive
Originally Posted by josquin
Here's the deal. I'm a current 2K, trying to make 1K for the year.
if I understand correctly, you're Premier Executive (1P) and will be 60 miles short of 100.000 EQM's? (1K)

If you finish the year with 99940 EQM's you'll get 1K regardless.
Don't bother booking an extra flight ....

K
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alemania
If you finish the year with 99940 EQM's you'll get 1K regardless.
Don't bother booking an extra flight ....
Says who?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Says who?
Sounds like someone trying to eliminate the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.