Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-EZE questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
IAD-EZE questions

I am flying between IAD and EZE in mid-January. I am waitlisted for C using a SWU, although C is currently only about 20% full. I will have 1K status at that point and I'm flying on a W fare.

Can anyone who flies this route please share their experience with upgrades? If I don't clear, I am sitting in 16A on a 767-300. Seatexpert and Seatguru have somewhat different reviews -- any comments?

Last, I will be connecting to SCL on LAN. I am assuming that I can check my bags all the way through to SCL from IAD, but has anyone done this recently?

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1P
I believe there was a thread directly on point as to IAD-EZE upgrades quite recently. A search will likely bring it back up. To summarize though, and based on my own experience, you're very likely to clear. IAD-EZE-IAD is not an elite-heavy route. I have never not cleared and have in fact gotten several op-ups on this route, too.

As for Y seating, row 16 is definitely best. Personally I prefer 16B or 16F, but I like aisle seats. For a window 16A or 16G would be best. In C most people here like 5C or 5D, though I'm not a big fan as you can't reach the pocket attached to the bulkhead without unbuckling your seat belt and getting up.

Finally, yes, I'm certain UA has an interline agreement with LAN but I've never done it. It'd be a pain to claim your luggage at EZE and re-check it at the LAN counter, so I'd definitely try to do it when you check in for your flight with UA. Let us know how it turns out!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I flew IAD-EZE this last Tuesday. I was on an S fare, so no upgrade possibilities - but at least I snagged my favorite seat -16A. The flight was 0'ed out in all fare buckets two days before departure (as was the day before). I think upgrading on these particular flights would have been problematic. That said, I've only once not had my upgrade to C clear as a 1K.

Judging the load at the seat map is very difficult on this route, since Argentines mainly use travel agencies to book their tickets, and seats are often assigned at checkin.

UA has been more reluctant to clear the waitlist on this route because of the discontinuation of the ORD-EZE route. Of late I usually clear either 3 days before departure, or more rarely at the gate.

John
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I had 2 successful UGs from W to C on IAD-EZE and 1 ORD-EZE and they always
were a cinch.
Cleared about weeks prior to the flight. Load in C was very light, F even lighter,
Y packed on all hops.
The whole E+ cabin on the 763s are great but the exit row 16 is particularly roomy.
I find the windows in 16 very draughty though and you need a thick blanket
not to freeze to death.
Row 15 gives you a lot of privacy.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:08 am
Suspended

I'd say you have a 90% chance of clearing the u/g. Also 16A is the best Y seat in the UA fleet! I once enjoyed it LHR-JFK, and it was fine. ^
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
From October this year...my outbound Thursday flight cleared 2 days prior & the same timing for a Sunday return. Same timing as last year (same weekend). Both as a 1K on a W fare. Hope that helps a bit but keep also consider it was October travel vs your January (seasonal differences).
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
I usually get an upgrade although C is usually full and the upgrade never clears more than a couple of days before the flight.

I was in 16A the other night EZE-IAD and it fine except for being cold. The blanket provided wasn't enough so bring a light jacket with you. I've decided I actually like 16B a bit more as it's not as cold and the IFE box takes up less legroom.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Call united to update the record to 1k?

I remember that I had to call united to update the record when I changed status levels to previously booked flights. You might want to make sure its reflected in the record once you make 1K.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hw248i
I remember that I had to call united to update the record when I changed status levels to previously booked flights. You might want to make sure its reflected in the record once you make 1K.
Thanks for the good idea. I'll be calling in about 2 weeks now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.