Wiki Posts
Search

How many of you upgrade at gate only?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
How many of you upgrade at gate only?

On 11/10, when I was waiting for my 11PM SFO-ORD (2 class 777), its a full flight and first class has 4 seats left.

I am confirmed in NF, e-500s about 2 days out. Waitlisted one day out and confirmed in 2 days.

So I reach the gate and I hear the GA saying she has 36 people waiting for upgrades. Theres this 1K that hangs out at the counter asking if his upgrade came through or not and I stay in the area to hear the conversations =).

A TON of peopel come up requesting upgrades last minute. Almost all were 1K. Availability dropped to 2 seats, a UGS came up (very nice guy, chatted with him a little...saw his black card and he got one of the seats), another 1K MM got the other seat (i think).

Now this guy hoverng aroudn the counter looks at my BP while I;m reading without me noticing it, then i hear him tell the GA...WHY DOES HE HAVE A FIRST CLASS SEAT...and he was brusquely told that I was confirmed...sheesh

Anyways, how'd I manage to clear SFO-ORD....crazy stuff...do most non FTers only try to upgrade day of travel?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Some people buy last minute tix. For others, it's just bad luck. I think you got particularly lucky on this flight and would not count on it happening too often.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by patchan8984
On 11/10, when I was waiting for my 11PM SFO-ORD (2 class 777), its a full flight and first class has 4 seats left.

I am confirmed in NF, e-500s about 2 days out. Waitlisted one day out and confirmed in 2 days.

So I reach the gate and I hear the GA saying she has 36 people waiting for upgrades. Theres this 1K that hangs out at the counter asking if his upgrade came through or not and I stay in the area to hear the conversations =).

A TON of peopel come up requesting upgrades last minute. Almost all were 1K. Availability dropped to 2 seats, a UGS came up (very nice guy, chatted with him a little...saw his black card and he got one of the seats), another 1K MM got the other seat (i think).

Now this guy hoverng aroudn the counter looks at my BP while I;m reading without me noticing it, then i hear him tell the GA...WHY DOES HE HAVE A FIRST CLASS SEAT...and he was brusquely told that I was confirmed...sheesh

Anyways, how'd I manage to clear SFO-ORD....crazy stuff...do most non FTers only try to upgrade day of travel?

Yeah, I'm always amazed by the number of high status folks who assume there will be a u/g seat for them when they approach the gate, and then make a scene when there isn't....

Also, I was approached twice by other 1st class pax in a very crowded gate area last night asking me to politely move aside so they could get nearer to the gate, despite boarding not being open. I generally don't have to wear a suit when I travel but I'm always smart and funky Amazing how many people believe 'suit+briefcase+1K=more deserved gate upgrade'
when actually 'any clothing+1K+request upgrade online asap=more deserved upgrade=smarter guy.

Duh
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: UA and BA
I second that. I am a 1K 30-something female out of SFO who always dresses casually on travel days. I am CONSTANTLY shoved past by the stereotypical 50-something white males in suits + briefcases holding their Economy boarding passes, crowding the gate even before boarding commences. Then with my First boarding pass I have to try to squeeze between people in order to get to the door.

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Yeah, I'm always amazed by the number of high status folks who assume there will be a u/g seat for them when they approach the gate, and then make a scene when there isn't....

Also, I was approached twice by other 1st class pax in a very crowded gate area last night asking me to politely move aside so they could get nearer to the gate, despite boarding not being open. I generally don't have to wear a suit when I travel but I'm always smart and funky Amazing how many people believe 'suit+briefcase+1K=more deserved gate upgrade'
when actually 'any clothing+1K+request upgrade online asap=more deserved upgrade=smarter guy.

Duh
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
with u/g space at a premium, if i'm gonna u/g, i do it at booking or asap if there is any type of change to better equipment.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:33 am

This happened to me from time to time but, like stevenshev said, don't count on it to much. Early 1P (sometimes) gets the worm.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yeah, I laugh too... its amazing how much of these elite flyers don't have a clue about using the internet to put in their upgrade requests ahead of time. Even as a 2P on A319 mid-cons, I didnt have too much trouble clearing my e500s, even though at gate time numerous people were asking for upgrades. Im just thinking..."dude, there are only 8 FC seats on this plane, they are GONE by now!"
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:17 pm
Suspended

I love how people just assume that no one would every buy a F seat...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Some people buy last minute tix...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
I second that. I am a 1K 30-something female out of SFO who always dresses casually on travel days. I am CONSTANTLY shoved past by the stereotypical 50-something white males in suits + briefcases holding their Economy boarding passes, crowding the gate even before boarding commences. Then with my First boarding pass I have to try to squeeze between people in order to get to the door.
Are you single? (Sorry, that was bad. )

I'm a late-20 something 1K, and I know the stereotype you're talking about. Annoys the heck out of me too!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Are you single? (Sorry, that was bad. )

I'm a late-20 something 1K, and I know the stereotype you're talking about. Annoys the heck out of me too!

I think they are more likely to be the single ones
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I think the last time I requested an upgrade using 500 milers, I (naturally) was waitlisted at my upgrade window. When I checked in, the TA said I was #5, and on a 320 with 4 seats left, all hope wasn't lost. At the RCC, I dropped to #12, and at the gate, #15 or so.

So, I'd imagine that quite a few people add themselves to the upgrade list on the same day. Or, maybe when the list moves to airport control, I just got kicked down by all the higher status pax who hadn't checked in yet. Either way, I've let a lot of 500 milers expire, because I'm never able to clear.

PS Here's an available mid-20s 2P
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
There have been quite a few instances when I got to the gate & discovered that the flight was full, then decided to try for an upgrade. That was in the days when I had to conserve my e500s. Now that my travel patterns have changed, I always apply for an upgrade as soon as I book my ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I love how you find it necessary to remind us that you do.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzkaiser
I love how you find it necessary to remind us that you do.
That's not what I'm doing. Just this morning I rode Y since my upgrade didn't clear. I'm referring to the person in the OP's post that demanded to know how he got and F seat -- as if the OP couldn't have bought F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.