Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Thermal Paper Boarding Pass Discussion" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Thermal Paper Boarding Pass Discussion" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by ajc1970
the only practical reason to forge the boarding pass would be to get into the passenger-only section of the airport (beyond the security checks) when you're not really a passenger.
Things can be a lot more serious than that. Say my real name is on a passenger watch list, call it Mr. Terrorist. I book a ticket under "John Smith" which is assumedly NOT on the watch list.

I then forge my BP to show my real name, but keep the barcode in tact. I show my geniune ID and matching BP to the checker and proceed through to the gate. I just got through security with a name on the watched list and no one picked up on it--I didn't even get secondary screening! When I board, the manifest and all associated record will show that a John Smith flew when it was actually Mr. Terrorist.

But all these concerns are far too practical for the current TSA hooligans to think to change.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I got the flimsy white BP in KIX back in mid-July.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: spg plat
Isn't the genesis of the flimsy stock related to the spread of the common-use automatated check-in kiosks - the ones that are used by multiple airlines?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Other problems with flimsy white

When I got the "new" boarding passes at IAD, went into the RCC. Found out that the new ones arent scannable so you have to pull out your RCC club card instead of having your BP scanned. This caused a minibackup as people adjusted.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:34 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I got the flimsy white BP in KIX back in mid-July.
Hmm.. I got the gold cardstock ones there like a week ago
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Angry

Absolutely effing outrageous. They snuck upon us the flimsy BP jackets and now they're doing the same with the flimsy white BPs? Nonsense like this is just outrageous. Soon enough the Biscoff packs will just have one cookie.

It's sickening to think that I can get receipts from stores that are sturdier and thicker than UA BPs.

...and a few for good measure.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:09 pm

I haven't gotten one of these BP's yet, but have seen them a few times while connecting in ORD and SFO.

To be honest, I don't care too much. Yes, the gold BP's are pretty. BUT...the entire system is evolving and I think United needs to do what it can to stay current.

If you think about it, the size of the blue / gold boarding passes is the same as "old" paper airline tickets. Nowadays, most people use e-tix, therefore boarding passes no longer need to be that same size. It's just a waste.

In addition, "magnetic strip" technology is about 20 years old. Bar Code technology is much more advanced and flexible. Sure, this may mean that other stip readers in Europe, etc, may not be able to read our BP's for a few months...but they'll catch up. I imagine in the future that RFID passes may be possible. Anyone who has used the subway in Tokyo or Hong Kong will know both of those systems currently use RFID tickets. No barcodes or magnetic strips. Passengers just "wave" their card at the kiosk.

I also have noticed the UA First "jacket" is also flimsier than before. Again, I really don't care. I frew LH yesterday...they don't even give you a jacket. They just hand you your bag tag which you can attach to anything you want (I prefer my passport). Recently, when I have flown UA, I have opted not to take the regular or gold ticket jacket because...well..what's the point. I just attach the bag tag to my OLCI boarding pass or to the back of my BP stub. IMHO there is no need for the jackets anymore either.

The first time I flew Jetblue, I was intrigued to see their paper receipt boarding pass. It was completely different in terms of size (not paper ticket sized) and in look (generic). The more I thought about it, they more I thought they were very smart.

There is no need for BP's to be "paper ticket sized" any more. Thermal printing technology is more advanced, better quality, and easier to use than the current Dot Matrix technology. Barcode technology is more advanced then magstripe.

The current barcode readers at the gate do need to be improved. They do take a few second longer. although I don't think this is a big deal since passengers currently queue up in the jetway after scanning their BP's anyway.

Anyway...just my $0.02. I agree with another poster from a few pages ago..I would rather have UA stay "modern" and cutting edge and focus on areas that really matter (improved F service, IFE, meals, baggage handling (make priority tags mean something), etc).
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
If you think about it, the size of the blue / gold boarding passes is the same as "old" paper airline tickets. Nowadays, most people use e-tix, therefore boarding passes no longer need to be that same size. It's just a waste.
What does the size have anything to do with anything? The flimsy paper BPs are approximately the same size as the sturdy cardstock BPs.

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
There is no need for BP's to be "paper ticket sized" any more. Thermal printing technology is more advanced, better quality, and easier to use than the current Dot Matrix technology. Barcode technology is more advanced then magstripe.
I can't ever remember receiving a BP printed with a dot matrix printer. Both the flimsy paper BPs and the sturdy cardstock BPs are thermal. Why can't UA print barcodes on the sturdy cardstock BPs like AA does? Barcode vs. magstripe is irrelevant in the discussion of BP sturdiness.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS
Oh No! Is it really worth the cost savings? I mean I'm sure it is but ugh.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by rar indeed
Barcode vs. magstripe is irrelevant in the discussion of BP sturdiness.
Not true...BP's are sturdy so that they can be fed through the mag stripe readers (although they were sturdy before magstripe readers existed).

I guess my point is...who cares? Yes, sturdy is nice, but given where the industry is going (bar codes, etc, where sturdy is not needed) there is no need.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
As long as they don't stick the baggage claim tags to the flimsy BPs - now that would be the worst!

One of my major peeves about SQ - they stick the bag tags on the back of your BP, or in one case for me, my passport!

Hope they at the very least keep the paper ticket jackets...
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: PMUA: lowly 2P. PMCO: at least the merger if a home for some orphan miles!
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Try JetBlue sometime.
Or AirTran.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by N37077
Or AirTran.
Or Greyhound.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:15 am

Can anyone post a pic of the this new BP?

thanks
goodo
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Rebmig
Oh No! Is it really worth the cost savings? I mean I'm sure it is but ugh.
I'm sure UA are saving money across the board on making this change, I doubt they'd do it just to annoy flyers... (perhaps they would )

Of course i'm sure if when booking there was an option to receive a cardstock BP for $10 everyone would be paying it... ... Hmmm not a bad idea actually... "Would you like an upgrade to E+/Business for $$$ ? Would you like a cardstock BP for $10 or a crappy flimsy one for free?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.