DEN dual bridge jetway is here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:10 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
DEN dual bridge jetway is here

todays mr back to mdw was different. usually ted leaves concourse a but mine was from b15. when i boarded i noticed the new jetway. half way in, it split into left for rows 1 to 11 and straight for 12 and up. interesting.

didnt help today as there are maybe 20 people on the flight.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
B15, eh? That's where the old United Shuttle flights used to leave. Makes sense, though, putting leisure travelers the farthest way down the concourse.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by jason8612
todays mr back to mdw was different. usually ted leaves concourse a but mine was from b15. when i boarded i noticed the new jetway. half way in, it split into left for rows 1 to 11 and straight for 12 and up. interesting.

didnt help today as there are maybe 20 people on the flight.
didn't/isn't UA pulling from MDW and only using ORD? Why put the dual jetbridge there?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Photos:

Dual bridge over the left wing

Dual bridge up
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by GoingAway
didn't/isn't UA pulling from MDW and only using ORD? Why put the dual jetbridge there?
My undertanding is that the flight was departing DEN and that that, not MDW, is where the dual jet bridge was located.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA
That's cool. It'll be nice to be able to get Ted flights out of "B" instead of "A" so at least an RCC will be within walking distance.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
My undertanding is that the flight was departing DEN and that that, not MDW, is where the dual jet bridge was located.
exactly. this dual end jetway is in denver airport in the b concourse gate b15. ua is pulling out of mdw next week, but im guessing the jetway in den would be perfect for full flights to las or season mexico flights. i wouldnt say walking distance to the rcc its at the end but it will make connecting ua flights a few minutes shorter.
plus i noticed people who board on ted dont know the whole zone number thing and they block the asile usually
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Whats even more amazing is that this jetbridge drives itself! Once the bridge is up to door 1, and it knows what aircraft it is hooked to, it can position itself right on door 2. A person still has to open the door though. These are very common in AMS and YVR/YYC, which is the same company that made this one. TED flights will soon be all on the B...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Rocky Mtn. News story

Here is the Rocky Mountain News story about the new jetways.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH/CX Diamond, VA/IC/A-Club Plat, UA/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think its fantastic UA are getting more proactive about faster turnaround times but is there any reason why we can't board by stairs on the back?

Before you cry 'heathen', is the investment in these dual airbridges worth it. Can't the same be achieved by just walking up a few stairs if your in the back half of the plane. Same resulting turnaround times but I'm guessing significantly less money invested... (i.e. better spent improving our Customer experience)

This works with various airlines and airports around the world already.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:38 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Rear Air Stairs Means Extra Agent

I imagine they don't board via the rear air stairs because I think any time you have pax out on the tar mac, you need to have an airport employee with a CITA badge supervising the operation. E.g. that no pax wonders away on to the air field, or to restricted parts of the plane, etc.

They have also largely discontinued the once normal practice of allowing rear air stair deplaning on the US Airways Shuttle, probably because they would always have some employee greeting the pax at the bottom of the stairs, and who would swipe a card to open the door out to the ramp from the terminal, etc.

I imagine with these new bridges the boarding in theory could still be done with 1 gate agent.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Their tests showed that the slowest part of the boarding process is getting 156 bodies on and off that aircraft. Especially when you only use one of four doors on the aircraft. Hard to reduce the average deboarding/boarding time by much more after seating area implementations. Its hit or miss if that is even followed and allowing elite boarding first always slows things down (dont flame me...its proven). Without removing elite boarding and enforcing with the boarding police, the dual jetbridge is the greatest option. It is tried and tested, and thus beneficial for many foreign carriers.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Seems it is called a DewBridge Over-The-Wing. For photos of the new jet bridge from the manufacturer.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:48 pm

Location: SFO (sometimes TVL), NYC, CHI but nowhere in between.
Programs: NW Gold
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I imagine they don't board via the rear air stairs because I think any time you have pax out on the tar mac, you need to have an airport employee with a CITA badge supervising the operation.
What is a CITA badge? I seem to remember using the term SIDA, which I believe stood for Secure Identification Display Area. Are these one and the same?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bikenski
Here is the Rocky Mountain News story about the new jetways.
Thanks for sharing the news about UA is already installed new jetbridge in back door of aircraft. It is much easier some row 12-20 passengers able to get off the plane and will be reduce 10 mins to get tight schedule. I'm sure they are doing well for boaring the aircraft. They don't have wait to get off in front door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.