Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced T-Mobile Subscription in RCCs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by dbehr
... So, view this post in the proper context, which is as constructive advice to UA to make them more competitive.
I think you're missing my point, which is to question why should UA be more "competitive" in this area (RCC features). RCC membership seems like it's already so large that any additional membership might actually cause greater morale decay among RCC members than not having Wi-Fi.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors, 6 Continents, Starwood, Goldpoints Plus, Wyndham,AA,SWA,NW, Comwell
Originally Posted by DimSum
I think you're missing my point, which is to question why should UA be more "competitive" in this area (RCC features). RCC membership seems like it's already so large that any additional membership might actually cause greater morale decay among RCC members than not having Wi-Fi.
To address your point, it's not only the RCC crowding issue. There's a larger and fundamental component, which is the decision to buy a ticket with United to begin with.

In that context, I think that one has to consider a prospective passenger's selection of a carrier in the abstract. There are numerous components to that decision, other than basic transportation, such as perception of value of each carrier's flavor of perks.

I select a carrier partially on the basis of the package of amenities that are helpful to me as a mobile businessman. And to me, Wi-Fi is important. To the degree a carrier eases and satisfies this and other needs while traveling helps cinch the decision to buy a ticket with that carrier. And, I need to communicate with people via e-mail and Skype and I need to eat, because I don't have a lot of time. I also don't like being ripped off by airport eateries.

So, looking at the whole picture of how competitive a carrier is relative to other carriers, I would submit that United would have a competitive edge if it included Wi-Fi and good food available for its passengers, especially 1Ks and Premier Execs, their core revenue producers.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who holds this view.

I fly a lot (I'm a 1K) and, in general, I have not observed overly crowded conditions. Granted, from time-to-time, RCCs become overly populated, but not objectionably so. I've been to the SFO RCC numerous times, as well, although I avoid layovers at SFO and DEN, partially because I can't get a Wi-Fi signal, other than T-Mobile.

So, in conclusion, it's pretty simple; in the end, it's about selling tickets.

United can enhance it's competitive edge by offering free Wi-Fi in its RCCs (food would be nice, too), to its core revenue producers, 1Ks, GS and Premier Execs.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
FWIW, I've been very happy with the Verizon broadband card that I've gotten. I no longer have to worry about wi-fi. I'm thinking of getting the one that works ex-USA too, since I'm in Europe so often. Anyone know what the deal is with that one?
You're either looking at a GSM EDGE or UMTS based card if you're wanting to use it in Europe. Verizon and Sprint's EVDO hardware won't cut it. Cingular hardware will work in both the US and Europe. You could also buy an unbranded card, but you'll still need service from a GSM carrier. If you're in Europe often enough it might be worth signing up for a data plan with a European carrier as it might be cheaper than paying roaming fees or using pre-paid.

Offhand, I believe that O2 offers data coverage to pre-paid accounts.

Originally Posted by dbehr
I think Wi-Fi should be gratis at RCCs; it's such an inexpensive add-on that would help make RCC/UA more competitive. I just joined AA's Admiral's Club and not only are the clubs generally nicer (real food available, too...), you can get Wi-Fi signals other than T-Mobile. I HATE people trying to rope me in to subscribe to T-Mobile, a very expensive vendor.
For me, someplace having a T-Mobile hotspot is a big plus (so flying out of SFO is great). As both a voice and data carrier I've found T-Mobile to be the cheapest vendor among all the national carriers in the US. I'm not sure where you're looking to see all these "expensive" prices, but everytime I compare the four majors (Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon), T-Mobile always comes out on top in terms of cost while Verizon ends up right at the bottom of the list. And with T-Mobile data, you can either dial up with a phone or use a hotspot. At $30/mo for unlimited use I'm not complaining one bit.

As someone who always travels with a laptop, I've never hit a place where I can't get a connection (either via cell or WiFi) with T-Mobile and that's a big plus for me. International roaming coverage is another area where T-Mobile holds an advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.