Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What would you have done? (asked to swap E+ aisle seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you have done? (asked to swap E+ aisle seat)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Question What would you have done? (asked to swap E+ aisle seat for middle non E+)

I was at the IAD today, waiting to board my flight back home to California aboard A319. I was holding on to my boarding pass with my favorite seat assignment - 6D (bulkhead aisle: best seat on A319 in the Economy cabin).

20 minutes prior to boarding, the GA started to call out passengers name, then finally my name was called. Excited thinking I was upgraded I marched to the podium. There were about 10 people waiting in line and a man with a 50lb lab (no, this was not a guide dog). The GA looked straight at me and asked "Sir, would you kindly swap seats with this gentlemen? I can give you 14B in exchange." I looked at her and asked, isn't that middle seat in the non E+ section? She then said, "I can give you 9B in the E+ section." I stated, that is again a middle seat, can't you bump me to first? She replied "No, there are other passengers in front you in the list", she then turned to the man with the dog and replied "I tried.. I can only try."

I felt really bad for the man with the dog and embarassed about the entire exchange... the 10 people in the line must have thought I was some snobby guy who refused to yield seat to a needy passenger.

What would you have done?

Last edited by flydrha; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:53 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:52 am

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

Now the real question is why was 50 lb dog at the gate. I would have done the same as you did unless the dog was for some reason (full moon tonight? ) going to end up next to me on the plane. I'm still perplexed though... a 50 lb dog?! Uhh...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by flydrha
I felt really bad for the man with the dog and embarassed about the entire exchange... the 10 people in the line must have thought I was some snobby guy who refused to yield seat to a needy passenger.

wouldn't have had any sympathy for the milquetoast who couldn't be without his companion dog for a friggin flight.

I mean I like dogs and miss my own when I travel but come on.

All the weirdos come out in the summer.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by rar indeed

Now the real question is why was 50 lb dog at the gate. I would have done the same as you did unless the dog was for some reason (full moon tonight? ) going to end up next to me on the plane. I'm still perplexed though... a 50 lb dog?! Uhh...
I don't get this either--did he buy his dog a seat? What ended up happening with the dog?

And no, I wouldn't have switched either.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Yep, big no way on that.

I'm kinda surprised that she offered you an E- seat first. She knew you had an E+ aisle--you'd think she would have given you the best possible trade (even though it was still completely worthless).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:38 am

I'm with you OP.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
I would not have given up my seat either. What I also don't understand (besides why there was a 50 lb dog at the gate) is why the GA selected you, offered you a middle seat in E-, and when you rightfully rejected it, she didn't try any other pax? I guess she really didn't want to deal with it, looked at the pax list and decided you were the least likely to accept, so she called you up just to show the dog owner that she tried something.

Was the dog owner seated next to you?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by laser
I would not have given up my seat either. What I also don't understand (besides why there was a 50 lb dog at the gate) is why the GA selected you, offered you a middle seat in E-, and when you rightfully rejected it, she didn't try any other pax? I guess she really didn't want to deal with it, looked at the pax list and decided you were the least likely to accept, so she called you up just to show the dog owner that she tried something.

Was the dog owner seated next to you?
My guess is that the GA and/or dog owner wanted to put the dog in a bulkhead seat to make things easier for them and other PAX.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:16 am

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
At least you were given a choice. A few weeks ago I got booted out of my Bulkhead seat for a guitar!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
I consider this to be an insult from the GA. If the person who bought the dog along expects to sit in a bulkhead seat, he should have secured the seat before booking the ticket, or just take another flight with the bulkhead seat available. I would do the same as the OP and ENJOY the ride all the way. I hate IAD, the worst GAs (IAD to SFO) in all of UA terminals. I will try everyway to avoid it.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:33 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I side with the OP. I would not switch my seat for that reason. I generally, like most ppl on FT, pick my seats for a very specific reason so, I am not inclined to switch. Besides, what is a dog that size doing on board anyways...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: UA, AA
Carry-on
Fully weaned dogs or cats at least eight weeks old and domesticated household birds (canaries, finches, parakeets) can travel with you in the cabin if they are small enough to fit and stay comfortably in a kennel under the seat. Tropical birds such as parrots are not allowed. No pets in cabin allowed to Hawaii. (Exception: certified guide dogs)

Checked luggage
Your dog or cat can ride in the pressurized and heated cargo compartment of the aircraft you are ticketed on. Pets traveling as checked baggage will be accepted at the airport check-in counter and delivered to the baggage claim area at your final destination.
(from http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51255,00.html)

Do you know what happened with this dog? (...and how did it get through security, did it go through the x-ray machines or... )
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:43 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Hotspring
I consider this to be an insult from the GA.
This was totally my first reaction also.

And of course the OP did the right thing. Shouldn't feel bad one iota.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 10, 2006 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by flydrha

Why feel bad for the man+dog? It's not your fault at all.

As for those 10 people in line, who cares what they think? If they were FFs, then they would understand. If they were the unwashed... well, smile as they pass by your seat to theirs.

I would've kept my seat as well.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Hotspring
If the person who bought the dog along expects to sit in a bulkhead seat, he should have secured the seat before booking the ticket, or just take another flight with the bulkhead seat available. I would do the same as the OP and ENJOY the ride all the way.
Agreed.

The 5 seconds of shame you might have felt in front of the 10 pax in line is nothing compared to the 5 hrs of suffering you would have had to endure in E-. Middle seat, no less. The OP made the effort to get the bulkhead and got it. Enjoy the fruits of that labor.

I also agree that the GA should have never put you in that position unless she could offer you a comparable seat or upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.