Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New 10K bonus for charging $100 on unused UAL card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Just got off the 'phone with Chase customer service. Called on a different matter, but the supervisor I ended up talking to told me that my card was enrolled automatically a few days ago for a 10K Choices bonus (which she assured me was the same as 10K UAL miles).

I get the bonus if I use the card for $100 in charges at a a gas station, dept. store or for dining. No registration needed. No printed or net info she could point me to.

Apparenlty, this is because I haven't used the card since early this year.

Anyone know any more about this promo. And where I might find some info in print (just in case my 10K bonus doesn't show up automatically)?

Now, I'm going out to fill up the tank!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
It would be interesting to see the promo in writing somewhere.

The way it sounds is that if you don't use the card much you will get 10K bonus. If you use it you will have to charge $10,000. to get the same amount of miles/choices.

I love these promos that do not reward loyal customers. It works in the reverse for me. They may gain a minimum user....and lose someone like me who uses the card for thousands of $ per month. The net result would be a loss for chase.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:24 pm

Haven't heard of the promo. After work, I'll call and see if they give me the same response. Will update later.

Updated: no luck.. talked to 2 CSR and they told me they had never heard of such promotion. perhaps i wasn't targetted?

Last edited by donuteric; Jun 12, 2006 at 7:43 pm
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I am eligible for promo too!

I saw a post card on something on the card but didnt pay attention so I called tonight. The OP is right on the $100 on the categories listed but also it counts for travel and hotels. I will definitely make use of it. I havent used the card in several months, guess this is why I got the promotion.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:19 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Morons. Promos that reward people for being unloyal are stupid. The "hurdle" needs to be more than just $100 you would spend anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by silver springer
I saw a post card on something on the card but didnt pay attention so I called tonight. The OP is right on the $100 on the categories listed but also it counts for travel and hotels. I will definitely make use of it. I havent used the card in several months, guess this is why I got the promotion.
So how long do you have to let the card "ripen" first before this kicks in?

Do you have to do anything else to qualify for this - other than just not using the card at all for the specified period?

Hmmm...I wonder if you could do this more than once....

I just applied for a United Visa card a few days ago (20,000 bonus miles, no annual fee). When it comes, I'll use it once or twice (to kick in the 20k sign-up bonus), then let it ripen for a few months, then see if a nice $100 dinner yields up 10,100 miles.

31,100 miles for $100 charged would be pretty sweet... ^
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
So how long do you have to let the card "ripen" first before this kicks in?

Do you have to do anything else to qualify for this - other than just not using the card at all for the specified period?

Hmmm...I wonder if you could do this more than once....

I just applied for a United Visa card a few days ago (20,000 bonus miles, no annual fee). When it comes, I'll use it once or twice (to kick in the 20k sign-up bonus), then let it ripen for a few months, then see if a nice $100 dinner yields up 10,100 miles.

31,100 miles for $100 charged would be pretty sweet... ^
This is exactly what I'm talking about
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:03 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Last time I used the card was in March '06. Account opened in late Summer 2005. I used maybe twenty times through March for a total of less than $2,000.
Got 20K bonus when card was first used. Now look forward to getting 10K more after a couple of more charges.

I was happy to see that others above in this thread were able to confirm the offer.

Still, I would like to see something in writing from Chase. Maybe its on the way in the mail?

I hope so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.