Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any news about US Air coded flights on America West metal...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
UA credit on US Airways on America West metal

Tried a search but I'm probably using the wrong keywords. . .

Anyway, I booked a flight for my wife on US Airways but the flight is actually operated by America West although it does have a US Airways codeshare flight number. Does she get UA miles?

She's a premier member. Does that count for anything? I booked it on the US Airways website but couldn't get seat assignments. Any reason why?

Sorry if this has been answered in other threads.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:13 am

"At this time UA Members can not earn miles on HP operated flights. "
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by honmani2
Tried a search but I'm probably using the wrong keywords. . .

Anyway, I booked a flight for my wife on US Airways but the flight is actually operated by America West although it does have a US Airways codeshare flight number. Does she get UA miles?

She's a premier member. Does that count for anything? I booked it on the US Airways website but couldn't get seat assignments. Any reason why?

Sorry if this has been answered in other threads.

From the US Airways web-site:

A: As a Dividend Miles member, will my Star Alliance benefits be affected by the merger?
Q: No, your Star Alliance benefits will remain the same. You can continue to accrue and redeem on Star Alliance member airlines. However, at this point United Mileage Plus members are not able to earn or redeem miles on flight segments operated by America West.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
From the US Airways web-site:

A: As a Dividend Miles member, will my Star Alliance benefits be affected by the merger?
Q: No, your Star Alliance benefits will remain the same. You can continue to accrue and redeem on Star Alliance member airlines. However, at this point United Mileage Plus members are not able to earn or redeem miles on flight segments operated by America West.
But officially, there is no America West anymore - the whole company is called US Airways, it is part of Star Alliance and the only thing is that they need to repaint planes
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I have flown America West metal (US Air ticket) twice recently and received full miles to my UA account. This conflicts with the website information - maybe my flight was a US Air route where they used HP planes?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
I have flown America West metal (US Air ticket) twice recently and received full miles to my UA account. This conflicts with the website information - maybe my flight was a US Air route where they used HP planes?
I am thinking that is the case as I can not for the life of me get US Airways to add my M+ number into my US Airways reservation (AW operated ORD-LAS-ORD in April).
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
But officially, there is no America West anymore - the whole company is called US Airways, it is part of Star Alliance and the only thing is that they need to repaint planes
If only. . .

Until the America West Flight Fund program is rolled into the Dividend Miles program, which is now scheduled for "late spring" ( your guess is as good as anyone's), the above statement regarding flights on HP-operated planes, even if painted in the new US livery, is true: No credit as a Star Alliance flight.

Likewise, those on the HP Flight Fund side of "the new US Airways" who have elite status are not eligible for Star Alliance elite benefits until the combination of the program in "late spring."

All this was supposed to be completed by March 1 but didn't happen, so '05 elite status status was extended for everyone until it is done ("in late spring"). This thread, discussing this article may provide a little insight. It appears the new US and UA may be having some difficulty reaching terms on a new codeshare agreement and US's continued membership in the Star Alliance.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I am thinking that is the case as I can not for the life of me get US Airways to add my M+ number into my US Airways reservation (AW operated ORD-LAS-ORD in April).
You are probably right. ORD-LAS sounds like a pure HP route which is probably why it would receive no flight credit.

Now that I think about it, my route (CLT-PHF) was probably operated by SkyWest - US Air flight code, but it was a CRJ700 from America West. So since it really *was* a US Air flight (via SkyWest), it earned miles. How's that for confusion?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seanp7
. . . maybe my flight was a US Air route where they used HP planes?
Highly unlikely. Their separate operating certificates and union rules don't allow it. There are a couple of very specific situations (i.e. US widebodies to Hawaii and HP 757s to Europe) that are stipulated in the merger agreement and related union agreements as allowable exceptions, but I don't believe they have occurred.

For now, they don't fly each other's routes or planes.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:27 am

It was CLT to ORF, twice in late January. It was an America West livery plane, CR9. I received full credit (just checked my account).

Check US Airways flight 5046 on usair.com. It says "This flight is a regional aircraft operated by America West Express carrier Mesa Airlines."

So is it the fact that Mesa (rather than HP) are operating the flight why I received full mileage credit?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have an upcoming segment on America West Express (operated by Mesa) with a US flight number.. according to past threads, it should post fine to United M+. After my experience, I hope to agree.. !

I think this situation with US Express/HP Express is an exception to the rule.. and perhaps one can even debate whether HP Express is truly "HP", since Mesa does fly United Express flight numbers as well....
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The flights are in late May so maybe that qualifies as "late Spring." We'll see. This whole codeshare thing can be confusing, no?

I think what I'll do is wait and see for a few months what may happen to get this sorted out and if there will be no UA miles for these flights, then sign up for US Airways mp program so at least you'll get those miles.

Ultimately, it was the cost of the ticket that determined why I went with US Airways rather than UA. It was over $200 cheaper.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat

being credited to Mileage Plus accounts? Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
No... Try looking & posting on one of these older threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...7795&highlight
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...8515&highlight
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
merging..thanks for th heads up...

squeakr
MOD UAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.