Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2 ORD Runway Near Misses: UA, LH and Chautauqua

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

NTS is investigating two runway near misses this week.

First one involved a LH (A319?) and Chautauqua.
Second one involved two UA jets 737 and A320

Details in the article link below:

I suspect the LH A319 might be a typo.

Any FTers are those four flights that can share more of the stories?

Two Near Misses at ORD

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 25, 2006 at 10:07 am
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:03 am

The LH A319 could've been the Privitair-metal, LH-coded flight to/from DUS (all J).
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100 feet?? This is Chicago -- if I left a 100 foot space between my car and the one I'm following, I'd hear a symphony of car horns.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
100 feet?? This is Chicago -- if I left a 100 foot space between my car and the one I'm following, I'd hear a symphony of car horns.
No necessarilly horns, you'd just be the guy that I'd cut infront of to get a few car lengths ahead.

I read abouth the 4L/9L incursion. If you look at where those runways intersect it's only about 1500 Feet from the farthest threshold. It would be just at the start of the take off roll, so the abort would not be so dramtic as the Trib is making it sound. It is serious error but I am going to speculate it was not so dramatic.
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/00166AD.PDF
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
The description of the 737/320 incident sounds like it was the one my father described to me last night -- he was on an ORD-DCA flight (hence probably a 737) on Thursday morning (or maybe Wednesday night). He was listening to channel 9, and heard ATC tell them they were cleared for takeoff. The engines came up, they started to move, and he watched a Ted flight (hence a 320) rolling toward their runway on a crossing taxiway not far downfield. Then his flight suddenly stopped (presumably because the pilot saw the same thing!) It then took them a while to get back in sequence for takeoff because of traffic landing on intersecting runways.

After the flight, he asked the pilot about what had happened, and whether he was going to report it. The pilot said he wouldn't because he hadn't done anything wrong -- he had his clearance for takeoff. My dad observed (to me, perhaps not to the pilot) that that's no way to run a reporting system; presumably the Ted pilot also had his instructions, and there are obvious disincentives for the ground controllers to report such things.

Glad to hear that it was reported by someone, though.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by makin'miles
The LH A319 could've been the Privitair-metal, LH-coded flight to/from DUS (all J).
Almost certainlly the Privitair, the Trib. said the incident occured at 4:20, and the ORD-DUS flight is at 4:00. Next most logical flight would be the 4:40 to MUC, which could have left the gate early, I suppose.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Stanford_1K
After the flight, he asked the pilot about what had happened, and whether he was going to report it. The pilot said he wouldn't because he hadn't done anything wrong -- he had his clearance for takeoff.
This is the reason most pilots now choose to keep Channel 9 off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.