Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA sacks a large % of Australian workforce.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sacks a large % of Australian workforce.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K

Actually it does take a lot of people to service 3 747s a day.
Two flights a day most times of year, and they depart and arrive close to each other in and out of SYD/USA, so only 1 shift covers it readily.

The MEL (and BNE) operations were closed some time back office and rez staff wise AFAIK.

Can't be that much more meat to trim.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Two flights a day most times of year, and they depart and arrive close to each other in and out of SYD/USA, so only 1 shift covers it readily.

The MEL (and BNE) operations were closed some time back office and rez staff wise AFAIK.

Isn't it 3? The SYD-MEL flight round trip has to count.

And don't forget any SYD based pilots or FAs. I think they count those as employees in a city, so having 200+ in Syd seems in line with other cities I have read about. Some of the operations seem to be no-brainers to contract out. Fueling, catering, even weather and flight operations could be consolidated under an outside contractor if it saves money. Too bad though.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: MP Platinum
I suppose the only silver (tin?) lining for the workers is that the flights aren't going away, so there is still work to be done, but maybe with a different employer. If one was going to argue that I'm wrong because they were very easy/cushy jobs with only 2/3 flights a day, well that speaks for itself.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stryker
Sounds like some gratuitous Aussie bashing on your part, mate.
My apologies -- I wasn't intending to insult Australia or the Australian people. Intention was to point out the melodrama in the union speaker's comment.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob

And don't forget any SYD based pilots or FAs.
AFAIK there are none. Duty rosters originate stateside.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Agreed. What does it mean "holding these workers...to ransom"? Entitlement-mentality doublespeak mixed in with some gratuitous America bashing.

If this is indicative of the worldview in this union, UAL is probably better off ending its relationship with the union.
^
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still not a thing new in media - this is the only outlet to have picked it up press wise by 4.30am:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E1702,00.html
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
My apologies -- I wasn't intending to insult Australia or the Australian people. Intention was to point out the melodrama in the union speaker's comment.
I support you. There was nothing in your post which was Aussie bashing at all.

The Australian union leader was the one who made it an issue by singling out an "American" airline. Was that necessary? Hardly.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I think we will see more an more of these type of "outsourcing" arrangements continue in the future.

In Asia, I often see contract ground staff etc. checking in passengers even in the airlines home airport.

Unless you are an employee at a main hub of the airline say for UA - ORD SFO IAD,etc. I think you need to be prepared to have another company's name on your paycheck.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, IB, FB
Isn´t it a drama to lose your job? I THINK IT IS. And even more to be working knowing your days in your company are over
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Careful--that may sound like a challenge to some lurkers on this board.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK there are none. Duty rosters originate stateside.
That was my understanding too. But it may be beneficial to open a base in SYD if they can negotiate work rules outside of the union, ala BKK/SIN bases. Since the duty cycle from the US to return is upwards of 4 days, it must be pretty expensive for UA... I know most FA's which only fly the SYD route only do 2 RT's/month.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:58 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Moderator2
"An absolute disgrace, holding these workers and their future to ransom so that an American airline could leave Sydney on time."

This is one strange quote, from the union leader.
I don't get it! Was the dismissal immediate, as in right after the announcement? I mean, if the union wants to retaliate in any way, it can still do so tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or any time in the future. Thus, what difference does it make whether it was announced before or after the departure of the flights? Besides, if the dismissal was immediate, wouldn't it have been better after the departures since they were able to earn another day's pay? Am I missing something??

LAX
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
ABC NewsRadio are still running the story. There is a recorded interview with the Union guy saying what's quoted. It does sound slightly more in context when you here it.

It also sounds like they have chosen two outsource companies and have asked them to hire all the employees. Wasn't clear if that was immediate.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
It also sounds like they have chosen two outsource companies and have asked them to hire all the employees. Wasn't clear if that was immediate.
You mean, hire back all the UA employees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.