FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/530404-upsell-offers-ua-business-first-seating-time-purchase-olci-gate.html)

izzik Mar 6, 2006 1:28 pm

No, obviously op-up's don't count in this thread. :rolleyes:

NRT-ORD 60,000 JPY (or ~$512 USD) for Y->C (bought a T fare)

SANUAFlyer Mar 6, 2006 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by cur
Interesting that people aren't paying the fare difference for class of service but rather "an upgrade". I've never heard of that with UA.

But the difference is usually quite significant. Just looking at fares in late March, if you paid approx. $800 all-in for a W fare SFO-NRT-SFO RT, then get an offer for, let's say, $500 each way to upgrade, the entire price (if you upgraded both ways at the gate...) would be $1800. Whereas if you purchased a Z fare in the same market, the price would be approx. $4,000.... seems like a pretty good savings to me....

I know there are some markets where QUAUP and relatively cheap Z/A fares exist, but usually, the biz/first fares in intl markets are pretty high... While I've never taken advantage of a Chick-in upgrade, I think they are 1) a terrific method to earn revenue on seats that would otherwise be filled by "free" (non-monetary) upgrades, and 2) a pretty good way to sit up front for those who didn't want to (or couldn't) fork out the big bucks at time of booking.

pekko Mar 7, 2006 2:54 am

SEA-SFO 3/6/2006 morning flight on Boeing 757
Y -> NF for $130.00

superEGO Mar 7, 2006 5:42 am

Has anyone noticed any trends about the cost differing based on what type of Y fare you have? NRT-ORD at ~500 on a T fare vs SFO-KIX at ~300 on Q...

What magic (if any) do you think they are using to come up with these numbers? (I remember hearing something $xx per mile, but this feels like something else.. maybe)

camachinist Mar 7, 2006 6:44 am

276.00 o/w K-fare (FAT-SFO-KIX) upgraded to NC for 275.00, so 551.00 o/w in NC, in reference to my prior post, though the first leg was in Y (FAT-SFO) as no C service is offered from our gateway to SFO. Offer was at SFO check-in. Irrops applied (wx).

Pat

MrHalliday Mar 8, 2006 12:10 am

Originally Posted by SANUAFlyer
if you paid approx. $800 all-in for a W fare SFO-NRT-SFO RT, then get an offer for, let's say, $500 each way to upgrade, the entire price (if you upgraded both ways at the gate...) would be $1800. Whereas if you purchased a Z fare in the same market, the price would be approx. $4,000.... seems like a pretty good savings to me.....

Yes, my feelings exactly, I just checked in for NRT-ORD and paid another $550 as hoped. I may not always get so lucky, but this RT was even cheaper than above scenario, as DFW-NRT was under $500 and applied the $250 Expedia goodwill coupon from last year. So under $1400 upper deck transpac including narita hotels both ways as I continued on to PNH and SGN.

Viva LA Flyertalk ^ ^ :-: :-:

brahms77 Mar 8, 2006 1:28 am

Another data point:

ORD-CDG (offered in DTW) FEB 18: 450 dollars Y to C, S fare.

BenjaminNYC Mar 8, 2006 4:41 am

IAD-ZRH on March 7th:

Paid C -> F on 763 for $750. :rolleyes:

I was in NC, and probably would have done it, but they refused. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they're protecting the F cabin (which they then filled with NRSA's). :rolleyes:

UTA_flyinghigh Mar 8, 2006 5:44 am

Today (or yesterday 07/03 departure)

LAX-SFO-LHR Y to C, 550$

UTA

where2now Mar 8, 2006 6:32 am

ORD-LHR last 28/02 $350 from Y (W Fare) to C care of Mr chicken

roadkit Mar 8, 2006 6:49 am

Since you can buy 40K miles per year for around $1100, it only follows that they would be willing to sell an upgrade for around $500.

You get the same upgrade for 15K miles, even though it can't be confirmed ahead of time. So UA gets badly needed $.

mogulskiir Mar 8, 2006 7:21 am

Last year ORD-GRU S fare $300 Y to C.

Lori_Q Mar 8, 2006 9:38 am

October 2005: HKG-SFO, C -> F for $550, offered at the ticket counter. The agent made the offer before she noticed that I was already upgraded into F using an SWU. The F cabin was full, and no upgrade offers were made at the gate, so it sounds like they had all the takers they needed during checkin.

UNITED959 Mar 8, 2006 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
IAD-ZRH on March 7th:

Paid C -> F on 763 for $750. :rolleyes:

I was in NC, and probably would have done it, but they refused. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they're protecting the F cabin (which they then filled with NRSA's). :rolleyes:

$750 for F on a 6.5 hour flight with a glorified biz seat?

Seems steep as people are reporting $500 for U.S. - Asia routes.

BillScann Mar 8, 2006 10:34 am

7 March 2005, EZE-IAD, $500 to upgrade to Biz. I kept my exit window in E+.