FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/530404-upsell-offers-ua-business-first-seating-time-purchase-olci-gate.html)

stivstiv Feb 1, 2008 1:57 pm

Offered Y-C Upgrade for $569 at OLCI for tomorrow's IAD-MUC (S fare). Stuck with my Row 30 seat with the bathroom view.

UCBeau Feb 1, 2008 4:53 pm

damn, just did OLCI for tomorrow's SFO-FRA, wasn't offered it :(

Pat89339 Feb 1, 2008 6:05 pm

Beau, you can always ask again at check in. I tried for one on my FRA flight last weekend and the CSR said that there is a code that shows on their screen if they are offering it. The Code wasn't there. You might even want to give the 1P desk a call later and see.

Did you special order a kiddie meal? :D

UCBeau Feb 1, 2008 6:43 pm

LOL No I didn't order a kiddie meal and yea I'll be calling UA tonight or tomorrow morning. I also plan on asking at SAN tomorrow, as well as at the SFO RCC, but I don't know if they'll be of much help.

BILLRNNP Feb 5, 2008 2:48 pm

my SFO FRA on 2/3 went out about 75 per cent full in c.
No OLCI. No Gate buyups Struck up conversation with RCC
agents. They said none of the international flights that day were
released for gate buy ups. There feeling that this offer is not just
capacity controlled, but has a random aspect that they are seeing a bit more
of so as not to guarantee a buy up even in off seasons. They also mentioned
they were processing more mileage upgrades at the rcc/gate because they
are not clearing to day of departure, even with light loads.

Boghopper Feb 8, 2008 6:44 pm

Limited Time Only Upgrade Offer

I just purchased an SFO-IAD itinerary in economy and was offered an immediate upgrade to business class (return only) for $350 or so. Although this is fairly cheap as such things go, I had CR-1s to use so I went with those. But I hadn't seen that before and hadn't heard of it either. I've seen upgrade offers like that at checkin, but not a month before on .bomb. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

notquiteaff Feb 8, 2008 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper (Post 9218654)
Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I've seen it mentioned here a few times, but it's never happened to me (and I wouldn't have paid $350 for a one-way upgrade).

Lightman7 Feb 8, 2008 6:58 pm

This should be consolidated into this thread

MIKEM Feb 8, 2008 7:04 pm

I have had this happen on different routes a dozen times or so for the past few years.

UCBeau Feb 8, 2008 7:29 pm

I've gotten this on more international segments than domestic ones, and for me, the cost is too much on domestic legs.

iluv2fly Feb 8, 2008 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lightman7 (Post 9218707)
This should be consolidated into this thread

I like the way you think. ;)

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

UCBeau Feb 8, 2008 7:41 pm

I'll add:
02/03/08
UA 927
FRA-SFO
459 euros Y->C

andyh64000 Feb 8, 2008 9:12 pm

2/4/08...SEA-IAD-FRA-HEL. When I checked in at SEA I was offered C=>F for the IAD-FRA leg for $569. I turned it down.

SCruzFlyer Feb 8, 2008 9:32 pm

UA 863 SFO - SYD Feb 6

Paid $600 for the upgrade on a ticket that I had paid less than $500 from a consolidater.

The service and food were OK in C but I know that the back of the plane was FULL!

We were upstairs and the flight was half an hour early.

Great flight all in all....

thecortex Feb 9, 2008 10:39 am

When do paid u/g become available on OLCI?

I'm trying to optimize the likelihood of snagging a paid international upgrade from Y->C next week and am wondering when the best time to try via OLCI. Has anyone been able to purchase one more than 24 hours prior to the international leg if you have a domestic connection, or are they only available within 24 hours of the international flight? Presumably if it is not offered initially, one can cancel the check-in process and try again later?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is my first UA international itin (despite being 1P) and I'd like to avoid the purported horrors of Y+ on the 744.