Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

You better swap seats or have nanny with screaming lap child in middle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You better swap seats or have nanny with screaming lap child in middle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
I have just one thing to say to those who are defending the father and infant/nanny in the situation referred to by the OP:

GET THE F___ OFF MY PLANE.

I have four kids. They have travelled to the four corners of the earth in Y, C, and F. Inappropriate behavior (if it occurred) was dealt with immediately. Thank God, not much ever did.

NO WAY would I EVER subject ANYBODY to the UNSANITARY and INAPPROPRIATE conditions done by the "father" in the OP's situation.

NO WAY would anybody change a baby's diaper in the seat next to me without a MAJOR confrontation from me about the unsanitary and DISGUSTING conditions created thereby.

ANYONE who wants to defend such asinine, inconsiderate behavior is personally invited to kill themselves. I CANNOT believe there are people on this board who would defend same. ... is wrong with the travelling public these days? It's not MY duty to put up with YOUR crap, it's YOUR duty to AVOID inflicting it on other people in the FIRST PLACE.
You need to settle. Yes, it reeks of the eighties, but I'll say it anyways... take a chill, dude. A big one. Way to melt down, eh?

Just in case some of your 'take' was directed at me... I would never advocate diaper changing in the cabin. What the nanny did is wrong. If I was forced to change my child in the cabin (no room or changing table in the lav), it would be in the corner of a galley or something similar, as far away form pax as possible. And, if you still have a problem w/that... take a chill.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
"The child will be in the middle? That's fine. I find them delicious....mmmmmm...."

P.S. Which seat was the child changed in? I think I need to change my preference list....
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Wimpy, sorry to hear of your awful experience. IMO, if the father didn't want to be with his child (which is very sad), why not have the nanny sit with the child in the back of Y. He would have saved money and not upset his fellow higher paying C pax.
In which acase the father could also have coughed up for the extra seat in Y.... 2xY should be cheaper than 1xC
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by yogi
"The child will be in the middle? That's fine. I find them delicious....mmmmmm...."

P.S. Which seat was the child changed in? I think I need to change my preference list....
25C of a 747. Don't have the tail number, but it was UA827 on Feb 23.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:24 pm

Outrageous C class behaviour

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
OK...first, this isn't an anti-children in F or C thread, but here is my story from LAX-SYD . Just wondering what I else I could have done.
I have waiting for a couple of months to tell my tale of woe in C on a SYD-LAX flight in December. It is appropriate that I try to upsurp wimpy, a fellow SYDneysider. Sorry if it is slightly off topic but it is about similar outrageous behavour in Business Class

I thought I was in heaven, I had 15A, the 15B pax op-u/g and presumably vacant until a couple from Y were op-u/g (no status-either!). The pax in 15G agreed to let the Ys sit together in G&H so he sat next to me. I foolishly wanted to hold on to my 15A at all costs. I didn't want the first time C pax talking across the ailse to each other the whole journey so I was happy when they moved over there. For first time C travellers they had impecible manners, they spoke little, kept their window shades down and didn't even slam the overhead bins.
I do not eat, watch movies or even read on the flight. I usually manage 10 hours sleep on the flight.
I was woken a few hours later by what I thought was turbulance but instead it was the 50ish female pax in 16A kicking my seat constantly in her sleep. I gave her the filthy look but since she was asleep it was to no avail.
I went back to sleep only to be woken later by her feet on my headrest. This was too much, so I yanked my seat back forward as quickly as possible to have her feet slam on the floor- she woke but she didn't realize what happened. I got up for a walk and told the F/A my problem. She was very sympathetic and advised me to call her if there was a repeat performance.
Well, there was a repeat performance, her feet were lodged between my angled head rest and my seat back. I tried to press call button, something I have never done in 75+ transpacific flights and mistakenly got the lightswitch- which disturbed 16A so she moved her feet. I managed to get back to sleep despite my rising blood pressure only to be woken again this time by 16A's feet massaging my scalp ! Her frigging feet were rubbing my head ! This time I found the call button, but you of course you've guessed that the BING disturbed her so she removed her feet by the time the F/A came up to see me. With my blood pressure over 1000 I had to go for a walk to back of the aeroplane to cool down.
Options? If 16A had been a male I would have punched him fair and square in the gob. But a 50ish female? As the aeroplane was 'preparing for landing' I had written a note which I handed to 16A (who was with her husband/partner in 16B) I listed her infractions: continuous kicking is rude and annoying; feet on my headrest is ridculous but the head massage was beyond a joke. There was no comment, no apology not even an acknowledgement. I believe in karma so I thought she would step in some dog crap sometime soon, but perhaps not since I saw 'my friends' in F on my next flight to DEN.
In her defence, I do believe she was asleep and her actions were involuntary.

You just have to laugh, sometimes

Was my flight experience worse than wimpy's ?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I think I'll take my experience over yours.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I think I'll take my experience over yours.
I don't remember an odour, I think 16A was wearing her amenity pack's sox
so at least they didn't stink ! (unlike 25D)
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Aspen
I don't remember an odour, I think 16A was wearing her amenity pack's sox
so at least they didn't stink ! (unlike 25D)
But aspen - from your message it sounds like you complained to the FA but never brought it to the attention of the passenger If she didn't know she was messing with your chair (and head) - how could she have made a change? Sorry for your bad experience, but you did nothing to resolve it and even jumped for the FA without saying even so much as "lady, you gotta watch where you put those feet" to the other passenger (I had a similar situation once but had the FA address it early on, when the guy blew me off a few times regarding his smelly feet on the side cabinet (open and closed with shoes, no socks and then with socks) which meant in my face when I reclined as well as over my stuff - no thank you!!)
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:38 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
So what? You plan to lay a pad right? What's the difference? It will stop any of that "grossness" from getting on your kid. It's not like the airplane seat cushion is clean - it's pretty gross too. Would you kiss it?
Pad is small. Child is large and squirmy. In the seat, the child is relatively contained. On the floor of the bathroom, the child moves just a few inches and his hands are in god-knows-what. On the seat, the things he can get into are relatively limited. The seat wins. As a parent, I am baffled that I have to explain this to anyone.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snic
Pad is small. Child is large and squirmy. In the seat, the child is relatively contained. On the floor of the bathroom, the child moves just a few inches and his hands are in god-knows-what. On the seat, the things he can get into are relatively limited. The seat wins. As a parent, I am baffled that I have to explain this to anyone.
and I'm baffled you don't see that's disgusting ... sorry, but there IS the FLOOR - it does not have to be a seat and should never be a SEAT that someone else will be sitting in on the next flight. I've seen enough explosions where you're right, the pad didn't contain the kid or those diaper contents (small misses but misses) ... that sh*t belongs elsewhere than where me or anyone else will be seated. I can pretty much guarantee that no parent would own up to the miss with an FA so the seat can be properly quarantined and cleaned -- use the FLOOR, not the SEAT. While I don't want to walk in it, I'd rather have it on the bottom of my shoes than on me or my clothes or anything else I put down in my seat with me like my headphones or ipod.

There is a reason the kiddie pool is CLOSED whenever a kid has an accident in there.

Last edited by GoingAway; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:57 pm
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
(You take your cats swimming?)
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yogi
(You take your cats swimming?)
(not unless I want very bloody arms, neck, chest and face!)

Fixed
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Aspen, just not sure how you could expect the pax behind you to change her actions if she was totally unaware of them. We're all unaware of our actions mid-sleep. She conceivably read the note and thought to herself in horror, "I had NO idea I was doing that?!"

Btw, not sure what the first part of the story had to do with it all. What did other pax in row 15 have to do with this?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by snic
As a parent, I am baffled that I have to explain this to anyone.
Me too. Can't believe ANYONE would expect us to put our child down on the lav floor of an airplane. Does one even have to be a parent to find this completely disgusting and unsanitary?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Me too. Can't believe ANYONE would expect us to put our child down on the lav floor of an airplane. Does one even have to be a parent to find this completely disgusting and unsanitary?
Huh? On one hand you're saying laying a pad on the seat is good enough to protect the seat and fellow pax from the unsanitary conditions of your child's feces. However, on the other hand, you're saying the pad is NOT good enough to protect your child from the lav floor.

So, which is it? The pad does or does not create a protective barrier?

You're simply being irrational.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.