Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question about upgrades from the MP web site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Am a 1K this year, having been prem executive many years in the past, but clearly am not as savvy as the rest of you, hence my question....

The paragraph below is pasted from the United web site regarding the benefits of mileage plus. Basically, it says upgrades are available without any payment of any sort: miles, certificates, or money. How does this work??? I have flown in coach many times with empty FC seats despite the paragraph below. Do I just call up UA reservations and ask for an available FC seat???

Thanks! Mike

"Also, when you buy a full fare economy electronic ticket (select Y or B class*) for travel within the United States, Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean or Central America (Region 1), you may upgrade one (1) class of service, free of charge without using miles, certificates or money. Your upgrades are subject to availability and will be processed based on your elite status. "
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:20 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingmike
"Also, when you buy a full fare economy electronic ticket (select Y or B class*) for travel within the United States, Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean or Central America (Region 1), you may upgrade one (1) class of service, free of charge without using miles, certificates or money. Your upgrades are subject to availability and will be processed based on your elite status. "
Check your tickets for the fare basis.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
You have to buy a Y or a B fare for the freebie upgrade. Govt fares do not qualify, but most others do.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies....

I understand I have to buy the right fare ticket, but then is the upgrade automatic or do I have to call UA beforehand and request the upgrade?

Mike

Originally Posted by qasr
You have to buy a Y or a B fare for the freebie upgrade. Govt fares do not qualify, but most others do.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You have to request the upgrade just you would request an upgrade with 500-milers. However, no 500-milers will be deducted from your account if you are on an elligible Y of B fare.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingmike
Thanks for the quick replies....

I understand I have to buy the right fare ticket, but then is the upgrade automatic or do I have to call UA beforehand and request the upgrade?

Mike
If you buy on united.com, it will request the upgrade for you automatically (if Y/B). But if you purchase from UA over the phone, another website, or a TA, then you will have to request manually, either using the website or calling UA.

The upgrade will clear like 500's, that is, at your window.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:10 pm
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
Originally Posted by chrisw
You have to request the upgrade just you would request an upgrade with 500-milers. However, no 500-milers will be deducted from your account if you are on an elligible Y of B fare.
From my experience, the upgrade request is automatic if you buy an Y or B fare. I've had EasyUpdate message sent to me within a couple of minutes of purchasing a ticket confirming an upgrade without me making an upgrade request.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC
From my experience, the upgrade request is automatic if you buy an Y or B fare. I've had EasyUpdate message sent to me within a couple of minutes of purchasing a ticket confirming an upgrade without me making an upgrade request.
It is. If, and only if, you buy on united.com.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
500 miles

Do 1K still receiving 4 500 miles? if so what do they use that for?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karung99
Do 1K still receiving 4 500 miles? if so what do they use that for?
I'm not sure if I understand your question, so here goes...

1K's get 4x 500 mile upgrade certificates for every 10K BIS on UA/UX/Ted metal. They can be used to upgrade 500 miles or less of a flight. You can combine them for longer flights, and you get a 50 mile grace. So a 1040 mile flight would still require only 2 certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.