Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Changing a *A award: carrier, class of service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a *A award: carrier, class of service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Question Changing a *A award: carrier, class of service

Questions about an F award that includes a BKK-NRT segment:
  • Can I change carrier without penalty (subject to availability, obviously) on the BKK-NRT segment after the ticket is issued but before the first flight on the ticket?

• If only C is currently available on this segment, can I change the res without penalty if F becomes available? Can I stand by for F on the day of flight, given that BKK-NRT is not the first flight segment of the ticket?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:13 pm

A change of carrier will incur a change fee. You may change dates,flights (upon the same airline), and class of service without fee. A change of city pairs or airline attracts the US$100 change fee.

Yes you can change cabin without fee (as stated above) but you can not standby for F (O) if booked into C (I). You are not allowed to make any changes after departure of the first leg of your itinerary. So you could get a C seat and ring daily to see if any F seats open up but if they don't before your first leg then you will be in C.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Standby is not allowed on Star Awards. After your trip begins, your only hope is to ask when you check in for your flight and see if they will put you in F since you are on an F award. The other airline is under no obligation, however. I once was flying on an SQ F award, but my HKG-SIN segment never had any F award availability. When I checked in at HKG, I asked very nicely if I could be put in F. I was told to go sit down and wait. After about 15 minutes, paperwork, and a phonecall from the SQ CSR manager to UA, I was given an F boarding pass. So I guess it's not an easy process!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
yep- as they said. once travel commences, no changes allowed without fees.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TEX277
A change of carrier will incur a change fee. You may change dates,flights (upon the same airline), and class of service without fee.
Hope this helps
I have an award ticket on SQ, outbound in first and return in business. I was told by the united CSR that I can change my return flight to first class if a seat is available for $100 fee. If I do manage to change my return flight, how do I go about resisting the $100 fee? Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Can I change carrier without penalty (subject to availability, obviously) on the BKK-NRT segment after the ticket is issued but before the first flight on the ticket?"

Depends, as a 1K, yes, on an award (paper) ticket I am holding it says: "Reroute/Reissue/Carriers Changes O.K. at no charge using 1K member miles**After 1st Departure No Changes**"

If not a 1K then you'd have to pay the re-issue fee, which is currently $100 I think.

"If only C is currently available on this segment, can I change the res without penalty if F becomes available?"

Yes, prior to commencing your trip (first segment), but you may need to remind the agent of your situation, that you already paid for F, otherwise they might charge you the $100 re-issue fee.

"Can I stand by for F on the day of flight, given that BKK-NRT is not the first flight segment of the ticket?"

Are you trying to stand-by on the same flight, operated by the same carrier, holding a business class ticket/booking? I'd say, no, but anything is possible. Which carrier? UA/TG/NH? If UA, maybe; if TG, no; if NH, probably no.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elihu1991
yep- as they said. once travel commences, no changes allowed without fees.
One I had recently (a US2 flying an award on UA)--after missing the first leg of BNAdenRAP, I was unable to clear the standby list for the next-to-last flight into RAP, and the last one was oversold--so they let me switch my trip to go to FSD instead, no penalty. (This also got me home a lot quicker, since instead of having to wait in the 5-hour gap between DEN-ATL flights, I was able to reroute through Chicago--which isn't served from Rapid City.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.