Wiki Posts
Search

UAL Flight Cancellation Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, UAL Premier, AA Gold, Continental Plat
Angry UAL Flight Cancellation Procedure

Had a scheduled flight from PHL to SNA tonight through ORD. Packed and on the way to the airport when I did my final Flight Status check online. Status comes back cancelled. I'm a little confused, decide to call UAL and do the robot flight status -- comes back cancelled. OK, now I'm weirded out. I call reservations, they tell me that the flight is indeed cancelled for mechanical issues and that I have already been booked on a 6am flight for tomorrow morning. What???

First of all, what is the correct procedure? I assume I should have been called in this situation. Second of all, is it policy to strand passengers in cities with no compensation? I had to scramble and find a hotel room for an additional night (I used Hilton Points). I asked them about compensation and the helpful agent said they offer nothing. (She seemed very confused that I would even ask)

So the basic premise is, cancel the flight, don't inform the customer, book him a day later, and leave it up to him to (a) figure out the flight is cancelled in the first place and (b) have him take care of an extra night of hotel, food, etc.

Sorry, little frustrated here... Any suggestions? (Other than Yoga )
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe UA's Contract of Carriage contains some information that might answer some of your questions?

See "Failure to Operate on Schedule or Failure to Carry", Rule 240. (starts on pg. 32).
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Next time, go to the airport and act ignorant, except with regard to interline agreements for flight cancellations

This has happened to us before, and dealing with it at the airport has always gotten us accomodated somehow. I'm assuming US had something into LAX, at minimum.

Pat
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: UAL
Probably too late now, but if you really want to get home, ignore the cancellation message and go to the airport anyway.

From PHL, they could have probably put you on an RJ to IAD to catch the 9PM flight to LAX.

And that's just the UA/UX metal solutions to your problem.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by camachinist
Next time, go to the airport and act ignorant, except with regard to interline agreements for flight cancellations
^ ^

And an itinerary on another carrier.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Spiff
^ ^

And an itinerary on another carrier.
One man's inconvenience is another man's compensation, eh?

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.