Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purchase EQM/EQS towards 2006 qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase EQM/EQS towards 2006 qualification

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P
FYI, the link the 3rd post has a typo, which may be causing some of the trouble. This is the link, as printed in the t&c's posted later in the thread.

http://united.com/purchaseeqmeqs

Right now, that points to

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/MP0601TH.jsp

with an error. I'm certain this offer is legit, and not phishing or a scam. I didn't receive it, but my wife might.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
It start tomorrow

Just called and was told by an agent that the promo starts tomorrow--good to see all of UA's departments communicate w/ each other...lol. What a bad situation.

As to the post previous about the extra miles, it sounds enticing and I may consider it as I could near 50K EQM this year alone.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: united airlines
I think some have misunderstood the offer, or at least the understandings they hint at are not mine based on the email sent my wife, a GM. (I'm not sure what the typo is in that previous post, which it was suggested might be a source of misunderstanding.)

I believe the offer is all about making it to 2P, maybe to 1P, but definitely not to 1K, if you stopped somewhere within 10EQM or 10EQS of the totals required to get there and are willing to throw down $100 to $1,000 to do it. The purchased EQM or EQS will credit for 2005 balances, and hence affect status in 2006; they will not credit to 2006 balances, and hence will have no affect on status in 2007, so no boost toward status beyond the current year for those who won't hit 25K or 50K BIS (maybe fewer with help of Platinum Visa) before 1/1/07. I would be very surprised if UA would allow one to buy up from 148K to 150K EQM for 2005 with the payment of $200 now and collect additional SWUs, but the email notice didn't clearly rule it out.

Prior to 1/1/06, there were threads about how generous MP would be toward those who fell just shy of the 25K, 50K and 100K milestones; and after 12/31/05, people reported their personal experiences in that regard. Now, we can see that MP is prepared to sell more at $100 per 1K EQM or 1EQS up to 10K or 10 EQS and gift less to those who fall somewhat short.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
My partner got the e-mail and since it showed his 2006 status and final EQM total, I thought why not enter my number, since I never got to verify that my final EQM total was just over 100,000. So I entered it in and here's what I get back:

According to our records, the Mileage Plus number entered is not eligible for this promotion. In 2005, you were more than 10,000 EQM (or 10 EQS) away from elite status.
So either my calculations were waaaaaaaay off or the united copy writers are at it again.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by daslax
My partner got the e-mail and since it showed his 2006 status and final EQM total, I thought why not enter my number, since I never got to verify that my final EQM total was just over 100,000. So I entered it in and here's what I get back:

According to our records, the Mileage Plus number entered is not eligible for this promotion. In 2005, you were more than 10,000 EQM (or 10 EQS) away from elite status.

So either my calculations were waaaaaaaay off or the united copy writers are at it again.
Maybe they were telling you that you finished more the 10K away from the 1K qualification, which for you means >110K. You could, of course, go to the website and enter your MP number, if you have your password, to know your total for sure, or call the MP desk.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by itsme
You could, of course, go to the website and enter your MP number, if you have your password, to know your total for sure, or call the MP desk.
Website does not list 2005 EQM total and lists your 2005 status until Feb unless you've moved up in status. The only way to check if you've requalified is to call - which I have done and they confirmed for me, but nothing like seeing it in black and white - and having a copy for your records.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:11 pm

Website does not list 2005 EQM total and lists your 2005 status until Feb unless you've moved up in status. The only way to check if you've requalified is to call - which I have done and they confirmed for me, but nothing like seeing it in black and white - and having a copy for your records.
The website did show 2005 EQMs through the end of 2005, then started again at zero for 2006. If all the RDM you earned in 2005 are there now, the matter status really ought not be in any doubt, and the MP desk should be able to reassure you, though perhaps not "like seeing it in black and white."

(BTW, if you reply, you go one up on me in number of posts. If you don't reply, then you will still have me on "pledge order," date of rank, or whatever it is here.)

Last edited by itsme; Jan 9, 2006 at 11:14 pm
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:14 pm

you mean i flew to get qualified at the end of the year last year and now they are offering an alternative? grrrr.

by the way, i can't see the pricing
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
The website did show 2005 EQMs through the end of 2005, then started again at zero for 2006. If all the RDM you earned in 2005 are there now, the matter status really ought not be in any doubt, and the MP desk should be able to reassure you, though perhaps not "like seeing it in black and white."

(BTW, if you reply, you go one up on me in number of posts. If you don't reply, then you will still have me on "pledge order," date of rank, or whatever it is here.)
My last flight that put me over 100,000 was on 12/31 and did not post until 1/2, so I never did see that magic six-figure EQM.

And you'll just have to wonder if I really wanted you to know that or just wanted to outpost you!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:31 am

Programs: The opinions I express here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of United or Mileage
Grrrr...this promotion is going to kill me already.

The website people (NOT UA, thank you kindly) put out this email early without telling us they were going to do so. Thanks to that, roughly 8 kajillion members were tyring to access the same page at the same time. It was up, but they still had final tweaking to do to make it work properly, so up it went, some people could access it, down it went again, and error messages abounded. Whee. Ooh, wanna hear the best part? We weren't even told this promotion was going to run yet! We haven't gotten t&c on it yet! Double whee.

It appears (from preliminary reports anyway) that this promotion is pretty much identical to the one last year. No, you won't get extra SWUs if you purchase up to 150K...I don't think the site will even let you in. The only people who will be able to access the site are whose who missed 2P or 1P by <10K miles. It can't be used to buy up to 1K. And yes, available in the *real* morning (not just the 1:30 am after I get home from work).
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:54 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ChrisKSDF
Now it's showing:

The fact that any major corporation in 2006 allows itself to rely on such a poorly managed, unreliable website really boggles my mind.

Nice job, UA.
2006-2005-2004...at least they're consistent
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:13 am

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club

I got the same thing yesterday. Today it let me in and had my correct EQM miles. Note that I had 6K EQM miles from the "fax in a competing statement" promo last spring, which apparently is what hadn't been factored in yesterday, as those 6K miles put me up to 19K+.

Now I have to decide whether it's worth $600 for status next year. I'm thinking not, but with the America West / US Air merger I'm more likely to benefit from status...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:59 pm

My last flight that put me over 100,000 was on 12/31 and did not post until 1/2, so I never did see that magic six-figure EQM.

And you'll just have to wonder if I really wanted you to know that or just wanted to outpost you!
DASLAX, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and figure that you really did want me to know that and weren't just trying to one-up (literally) me in number of posts.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
UA tries to sell me 1P status TWICE

I had been keeping tabs on my EQMS in NOV/DEC and had purchased the M+ Visa promotion where you are awarded 2500 EQMS for running $5k through your account or 5000 EQMs for $10K, which I did do (so I requalified for 1P) but I got the same email. I called M+, and they confirmed that I had earned enough EQMs for 2005 to requalify. I'd advise anyone considering this option to call M+ and get a current account balance before purchasing this offer.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
The terms and conditions read: "In the event that your status is upgraded, it will be reflected in the system within five days. Mileage Plus elite status earned through this promotion is valid from March 1, 2006 through February 28, 2007. New elite membership card will arrive within 6-8 weeks. 2006 Premier and Premier ExecutiveŽ benefits are valid through February 2007."

Maybe I'm just not reading this clearly, but it seems to me the first two sentences above contradict one another. If you pay to move from being a General Member to 2P, do you become 2P in 5 days, or on March 1, 2006? Or do I take this to mean that a move from 2P to 1P is effective within 5 days, but if you are entirely new to being elite (i.e., General Member to 2P), then that does not kick in until March 1st? It would seem odd that you could fork over up to $1000 to move up to 2P and then have your January and February flights not show you as a 2P, or accrue 2P benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.