Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

MP Visa issuer over-zealous in fraud prevention?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Visa issuer over-zealous in fraud prevention?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bigbit
Make sure that you phone Chase and have them notate in your record that you are a frequent international traveller. Two weeks ago, I used my MP card in Mexico several times, for some large purchases, and no issues. I'm assuming that the record notation prevented an account freezing - time will tell.
Yeah, they're strange--they get leery of international transactions. On an airline credit card???

Ironically I've never actually used it outside the country but a couple of times I've bought software on-line from a European company and I've had to call their fraud line in order to get the transaction to go through. Software--stuff with no shipping costs. I didn't even think of the fact that the first company was German until they explained it was a foreign transaction. At that point the .de on the URL sunk in.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChgoBob
Yes, they got me last month also, due to ordering several computer items on-line, which was the red flag. Once before, it was explained to me that the typical MO for the crooks is to try the card for some small items, then sock a large one. The latest scam is to buy gift cards/gift certificates with the stolen credit card, since those are almost untraceable. They denied my request for over $1k in restaurant certificates.

I just wish they would call me up and warn me! They have all of my phone numbers! It can be embarrassing, and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for them to spring a trap on the actual credit card holder, is there? They sure know how to call and try to sell you more perks.
Yeah, they're nuts. At least once a year I trip the fraud system at Discover (why can't the idiot system learn to expect a rash of stuff on black friday??) but they always call me to verify rather than shut down the card.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
Originally Posted by skifrog
I have had my MP cards compromised several times. Months of (legit) charges in Indonesia and then on same day +6K at Bose (or B&O) shop in Geneva, while still allowed same day charges in CGK. Have had to have new cars issued about 5 times - Once they emailed me and said an airport store I used in KL was 'suspect' and they wanted to reissue me a new card that day. . . I asked them why they did not pull his visa service from him and they sputtered . . 'we can't do that'
You are taking chances using your card in SE Asia. I've had pretty good luck so far in Indonesia, although I have really cut down on using it in restaurants and the like - typically only use it for big money purchases such as hotels (not just b/c of the risk of fraud, but b/c of the 3% foreign transaction fee they are wacking me with).

But KL? The credit card fraud capital of the world. I don't even use it in 5* hotels there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.