Wiki Posts
Search

UA Leases 4 LHR slots to VS [2005 Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iainarmstrong
Does anyone know if UA pax terminate at LHR or connect onwards? I could certainly understand that BD as a feeder service for UA into LHR is nowhere near as good as LH is at FRA.
I can only speak for myself, but I frequently use LHR as my European gateway. As an ORD flier, LHR is very often my least expensive TATL flight option, and I can pick up a cheap flight from there to where my destination is. I'd prefer to fly to FRA (for the great LH connections) or AMS (just 'cause I like to fly there), and really hate having to connect to BD, but when you can save several hundred dollars, such is life.

I would think that the lack of a strong *carrier at LHR would be a great opportunity to UA to develop a good European gateway there, except for the lack of connections. FRA makes much more sense because of the huge network that LH has, BD pales in comparison.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:41 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by LAX
I can't help but wonder if UA knew CO would eventually come onboard when it sold its NYC-LHR rights to DL a few years ago. Perhaps it's really just a coincidence!
I don't think CO being in *A was even envisioned at the time. Rather, UA was packing up and moving out of JFK to focus on IAD and ORD.

At one time, and I'm sure someone can provide more historical details, they had numerous prestigious routes ex-JFK, including HKG and EZE. Now, with the exception of Premium Service to LAX and SFO, there is ZERO UA presence at JFK.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Milepig, On our manifest we have lists of how many passengers are connecting and what carrier/flight/destination they have and BD is far from the only one in London. We have HUGE amounts of passengers going on SAS to Scandanavia, LH to cities like HAM and MUC, and a suprising amount of passengers going onto places like Iran and India.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHL
Now, with the exception of Premium Service to LAX and SFO, there is ZERO UA presence at JFK.
Au contraire! Don't forget the 6x daily luxury chariots that are the CRJs and ER4s on the very cosmopolitan JFK-IAD route.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by PHL
I don't think CO being in *A was even envisioned at the time. Rather, UA was packing up and moving out of JFK to focus on IAD and ORD.
I agree. UA, which had cut service down to one plane a day, was losing money on the JFK-LHR route and would presumably have dropped the route even without any sale. What UA MIGHT have envisioned (in which case it would have been uncharacteristically clever), was Open Skies (the agreement, not the airline). Good job extracting some bucks from DL for something DL would have had for free not that much later.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
In addition CO had a nice presence in Gatwick (which I miss), LHR was just a dream for them back then.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
So the five years is up later this year.........

Any idea what UA will do with these slots when they come back later this year........
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Trappy
Any idea what UA will do with these slots when they come back later this year........
Who knows, but I can think of a wish list:
- DEN year round
- NYC (perhaps through EWR to tie in with CO's hub)
- increase West Coast frequency and introduce new C so that can compete with BA and VS
- as a long shot, how about a 767 to SEA or BOS?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I would think whatever UA does it will include some sort of partnership or deal with CO.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I would think whatever UA does it will include some sort of partnership or deal with CO.
+1

Although, and this is is only dreaming..... but could the slot be used for LHR-HKG? or are the unique to the USA?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by mcgahat
also maybe lease 1 or 2 to US? They still are running CLT-LGW and only have 1 PHL-LHR.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Who knows, but I can think of a wish list:
- DEN year round
- NYC (perhaps through EWR to tie in with CO's hub)
- increase West Coast frequency and introduce new C so that can compete with BA and VS
- as a long shot, how about a 767 to SEA or BOS?
The BA/AA Alliance has been approved by the US DOT with the stipulation that they must give up 4 LHR-USA slots, including 2 LHR-BOS slots. Perhaps that might give UA some thought for consideration. Did UA ever run any international flights from BOS?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
+1

Although, and this is is only dreaming..... but could the slot be used for LHR-HKG? or are the unique to the USA?
I would love to see UA add an asian destination from LHR (espcially if it was a valid routing from the US) but not sure of how that works with regards to rights at HKG etc especially coming from Europe.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Did UA ever run any international flights from BOS?
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-53029263.html

I think BOS was a focus for UA until after 9/11.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Did UA ever run any international flights from BOS?
Yes, I flew UA 767 BOS-LHR back in November 2000. I believe this route was axed shortly after 9/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.