Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

M+ Purge Data Print - A piece of your United history that You should get!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M+ Purge Data Print - A piece of your United history that You should get!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by redbeard911
F9, OTOH, sends you an electronic printout within an hour. ^
Nice being brand new and having no legacy baggage to drag around. How many MM's do they have?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just called MP to request this information for myself, and they are now insisting that I initiate the request through the mail, not over the phone. Even the supervisor would not let me initiate the request on the phone. She said it had to be in writing "for security purposes," and would not budge even though I told her I'm not even in the US right now and mailing would be a pain.

But it apparently is still possible to get this list for yourself.

The address I was given was:
mileage plus
po box 6121
rapid city SD 57709

And I was told to include my name, MP number, mailing address, and reason for the request.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by jjj8
I just called MP to request this information for myself, and they are now insisting that I initiate the request through the mail, not over the phone. .
I had no problem at all. The agent processed a request for two years because she said she knew she could do that, placed me on hold for about one minute, came back and said everything would arrive in the mail in 3-4 weeks!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Thanks for the bump. This will come in handy for those filing for citizenship and were smart enough to credit all their int'l travel to UA. (The application asks for int'l travel taken during the past X years).
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:34 am

Programs: United 2P, Westpac Altitude, Qantas
Lifetime Miles

Hello. I am new here. I have used the search function but can't really find what I am looking for and thought some of you might know. Wonderful community by the way!

Okay - so I live in Sydney and hail from TN. Since 1994 I have been in United FF program and have made the run home at least once per year with my husband and later the children. Normally our route is Sydney to San Francisco to Chicago to Tricities (or Knoxville the times that United has pulled out of Tricities). - So I have made this run a minimum of 14 times (this Dec). My children are 13 and 6.

We just booked our yearly tickets home for Dec (11k - OUCH) and that got me to thinking about how much we have flown over the years and that is how I found this forum. I checked out our profiles on the United website and my lifetime miles are 122,282. My 13 year old stands at 134, 569 and my 6 year old has 46,407

It really seems to me like our lifetime miles shoudl be much higher. If it is 60k miles per trip then I should be at about 840k shouldn't I? That is bottom in seat miles. I am wondering what is up with our low lifetime miles and whether or not we can request that they be put on the system. The website indicates that you have 12 months to claim miles but I think that is for regular miles (for awards and stuff) rather than lifetime miles.

Any advice? We have no status - just regular flyers, although we have been in the past premier exec.

Thanks in advance,
Beth
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Only flight miles are counted toward life time miles. So that would be about 20K miles per trip from SYD to Tricities.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
SYD-SFO-ORD-TRI is only 9744 mi according to the Great Circle Mapper. Rounding up, that's only 20K miles per round-trip... where do you get "60K miles per trip" from?

Of course, that still puts your estimated lifetime miles at 280K (14 trips x 20K), which is still lower than what you've got. However, keep in mind that lifetime miles include only BiS (subject to the 500-mile minimum)... no bonuses from any source. Also, lifetime miles are from UA, UX, and Ted metal only... *A flights and codeshares operated by *A partners do not count. Did you perchance take any of these flights on non-UA metal?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:18 am

Okay, I figured 60k miles by the fact that it takes 60k in FF miles to be able to fly the trip on an award. That was my first error.

I don't know what a metal flight is. I am really new to all the jargon - please bear with me. We always fly United for convenience so I don't think that I would have counted any code shares unless we were put on them by United due to weather or something. I am guessing that code share would be a partner airline. Even then I should have gotten my original itenerary miles shouldn't I?

I am guessing that BiS is bottom in seat. Yes, my bottom has been in the seat! About every 3rd year we have earned enough to fly an award so I would say that approximately 1/3 of my total trips have been on an award. Am I correct in reading you that those flights would not count? ....but my Bottom was in that seat!

Even so, my total still looks short to me, especially given that my 13 year old has more lifetime miles than I do!

Also , my 6 year old has made this trip 7 times this Dec. so he should definitely have more than the 40k odd that he is showing. Unless the child fare doesn't get full credit and the fact that he flew as an infant as well. Could that be his reason for showing lower lifetime miles than I expected?

Last edited by ancienthills; Aug 23, 2007 at 3:32 am
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by ancienthills
Okay, I figured 60k miles by the fact that it takes 60k in FF miles to be able to fly the trip on an award.
Nope... that's just the "cost" of the trip when you pay with miles. You earn miles based on the real distance, which is roughly ~20K round-trip.

I don't know what a metal flight is.
Sorry for the jargon; "metal" refers to the livery painted on the plane, i.e. the airline who owns it. UA metal means a United plane. However, UA also codeshares with US, Lufthansa, etc... those are UA-numbered flights but on a plane owned by the partner airline. Lifetime miles count only flights taken on planes owned by United or United Express carriers... codeshare flights operated by partners (i.e. in a plane owned by the parter) do not count.

Even if you booked the flight with United and the flight had a United flight number, that doesn't mean it was on a United-owned plane... do you remember whether any of your planes over the last 14 years showed non-United livery?

Even then I should have gotten my original itenerary miles shouldn't I?
You would most certainly have earned elite qualifying miles (EQM) and redeemable miles (RDM) for flights taken on partner airlines... and even during reroutes, you would have earned EQM/RDM as well. But as mentioned, lifetime miles are only for flights on UA/UX metal.

About every 3rd year we have earned enough to fly an award so I would say that approximately 1/3 of my total trips have been on an award. Am I correct in reading you that those flights would not count?
That's right - award flights earn no miles, lifetime or otherwise. Only revenue tickets earn miles.

Even so, my total still looks short to me, especially given that my 13 year old has more lifetime miles than I do!
Well, at 20K miles per RT, your lifetime miles equate to only 6 trips, so you're right, the number looks smaller than expected. If you received the proper RDM for each previous flight, you should also have received the proper lifetime miles, when applicable. Therefore, the only reason I can think of for the apparently-low value is that a number of your flights were on non-UA metal, even if they were originally booked through United. There's no way to know for sure without looking at your entire MP history for the last 14 years...

Unless the child fare doesn't get full credit and the fact that he flew as an infant as well.
A child fare should earn the same miles, but a lap-infant probably would not, since that is not technically a ticket... however, I'm not entirely sure about this particular point.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:43 am

Cepheid you are just "Johnny on the Spot"!

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I just dread this trip - every year it gets harder and harder. It takes me a week to recover.

Is there any way I could view my entire MP history? I am sure I still have most all my boarding passes in the travel drawer in the study.

Thanks for the metal explanation. All flights to my recollection have had UA livery but sometimes I guess it was dark and 14 years is a long time to remember livery.

Last edited by ancienthills; Aug 23, 2007 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:53 am

Is there any way I could view my entire MP history?
You can call MP and ask for the "Purged Data Print," and that should (I think!) show the flight operator. For more info, search the UA forum for "purge data print" - there was a recently-bumped thread on this topic.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:14 am

Thank You Cepheid. I will do that. I plan on paying more attention to these things now! I will feedback what I find out and maybe we can get to the bottom of it. I just spoke to them today as a matter of fact - for password support.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
One other point, the lifetime miles would only be considered in your total if your MP # was on the reservation. Is it possible that that there were trips in the early days where you forgot or didn't have an MP # to apply? Also, maybe you flew on an award and your child got the paid seat a couple of times, that could account for the discrepancy there.

Just some other thoughts ...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:22 am

All valid theories. I guess it is just an educational exercise now. Originally I believed I was nearing my 1 million mile status - but since that assumption has been rightly shot down further pursuing it seems a bit moot, although now my curiosity has been peaked over the missing lifetime miles!

Also, If I flew that return leg back to Syd in Jan o7 shouldn't the boys and myself have some sort of status? This year we are flying Dec8 and returning Jan 5 - weather withstanding.

Last edited by ancienthills; Aug 24, 2007 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All valid theories. I guess it is just an educational exercise now. Originally I believed I was nearing my 1 million mile status - but since that assumption has been rightly shot down further pursuing it seems a bit moot, although now my curiosity has been peaked over the missing lifetime miles! Also, If I flew that return in Jan o7 shouldn't the boys and myself have some sort of status? This year we are flying Dec8 and returning Jan 5 - weather withstanding.
Status qualifications are in a calendar year, so a fight in late December and flight in early January unfortunately count as different years.

Welcome to Flyertalk!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.