Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor Denied Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
I think the mom said that they were infrequent flyers so likely no status on UA.

Still should not IDB them IMO.

Originally Posted by lizkear
... We do not fly often and the boys have never flown alone before...

Last edited by dcgators; Aug 3, 2005 at 7:51 pm
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I'm sorry but I disagree with this uproar that has started on the last page of so of this thread. These are not little kids, they are 15 and 17 - it is very possible that they look even older and the GA wasn't even aware she had minors on her hand until the plane had left. There are SOOOOO many questions unanswered to what really went down. I'd even hazard the guess that the GA was thrown by finding out they were minors and had to figure out what to do with them overnight before they got around to processing the IDB and just forgot to finish it up (it's a UAX flight I believe so not knowing procedures beyond the basics is very possible).

In the end, two passengers were IDB'd. Those passengers, regardless of age, deserve the standard IDB compensation. If UA would like to apologize for the mix-up, fine but there is no basis for a lawsuit or other compensation as being mentioned above.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little puzzled by the lawsuit / call an attorney thing too.

So we are supposed to engage a lawyer and threaten legal action for an IDB?

Every time my flight cancels, should I put an attorney on retainer?

It's air travel. Things happen. You don't always get where you want to get, when you want to get there. And it has emerged that these were not, in fact, actual UMs.

I think GoingAway is right. The GA probably did not realize their ages until it was too late. Then it appears as though the airline attempted to do the right thing and treat them like UMs by looking after them in the "room," even though they had not paid the fee / filled out the paperwork to be UMs.

But hey if you want to make another lawyer rich, go right ahead.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Bear96

Every time my flight cancels, should I put an attorney on retainer?

It's air travel. Things happen. You don't always get where you want to get, when you want to get there. And it has emerged that these were not, in fact, actual UMs.

I think GoingAway is right. The GA probably did not realize their ages until it was too late. Then it appears as though the airline attempted to do the right thing and treat them like UMs by looking after them in the "room," even though they had not paid the fee / filled out the paperwork to be UMs.

But hey if you want to make another lawyer rich, go right ahead.
I imagine when these kids were bumped the GA didn't think it would lead to a 90+ post thread on Flyer Talk.

I used to insist on flying UA because I knew stuff like this wouldn't happen. I guess that was then.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Aug 4, 2005 at 8:20 am
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:31 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Only if the procedures for IDB are not followed.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I'm sorry but I disagree with this uproar that has started on the last page of so of this thread. These are not little kids, they are 15 and 17 - it is very possible that they look even older and the GA wasn't even aware she had minors on her hand until the plane had left. There are SOOOOO many questions unanswered to what really went down. I'd even hazard the guess that the GA was thrown by finding out they were minors and had to figure out what to do with them overnight before they got around to processing the IDB and just forgot to finish it up (it's a UAX flight I believe so not knowing procedures beyond the basics is very possible).

In the end, two passengers were IDB'd. Those passengers, regardless of age, deserve the standard IDB compensation. If UA would like to apologize for the mix-up, fine but there is no basis for a lawsuit or other compensation as being mentioned above.
As I stated earlier, we told the airline what the boys' ages were when we bought the ticket, we had the boys tell the agent what their ages were and that their parents were waiting for them in Montrose, I called the airport and told 3 different people that they were minors. The definitely KNEW these 2 boys were minors and continued to block their boarding.

The boys' Mom
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Only if the procedures for IDB are not followed.
Perhaps.

But I am not sure that is applicable here anyway. So far no one has put forth any evidence that IDB procedures were not followed. It seems like the only time age is relevant with regards to IDBs is when someone is under 12, unless I missed something in this discussion.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:08 am

Perhaps.

But I am not sure that is applicable here anyway. So far no one has put forth any evidence that IDB procedures were not followed. It seems like the only time age is relevant with regards to IDBs is when someone is under 12, unless I missed something in this discussion.
Unless they gave these minors a fist full of cash, IDB procedures seem to have been missed on this one.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by lizkear
As I stated earlier, we told the airline what the boys' ages were when we bought the ticket, we had the boys tell the agent what their ages were and that their parents were waiting for them in Montrose, I called the airport and told 3 different people that they were minors. The definitely KNEW these 2 boys were minors and continued to block their boarding.

The boys' Mom
I don't know who you spoke with but UA is a big airline, it's a big airport and there are A LOT of folks working on different parts of the operation, most not communicating with the other. You say you spoke to 3 agents, who were they and at what point did you talk with them (I'd hazard the guess it was AFTER the flight was gone and the kids were asking what's next).

I have no idea if there is a place on the record to record someone's age (or even if it'd be looked at) if they were not flying as UM, particulary on domestic tickets. Honestly, it was YOUR choice to not pay the fee (and if I was the kids, I would've refused the flight had you chosen to do so at their ages) -- they are now passengers, like everyone else. The fact that they were minors was addressed by putting them in the room, but someone had to be bumped - they had no status and probably didn't speak up quick enough. Regardless - you bought them a ticket, not a child's ticket (e.g. as a UM) Sorry it s*cks, but I'm still on UAs side -- all the kids are owed is the IDB compensation. Stuff happens when you fly - deal with it.

BTW, I don't think you've ever responded to this - at what point was the GA told/reminded that these were kids? I'm still guessing that it was too late at that point to make the change and the flight was closed/gone.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Unless they gave these minors a fist full of cash, IDB procedures seem to have been missed on this one.
Really?

IDBs immediately get "a fist full of cash," right at the gate?

Must be a new procedure. I didn't think they kept large sums of cash on hand at the gate.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
I think we need to stop defending the GA's actions. IMO the only thing he/she did that seemed remotely right was to keep these minors in the UM room after involuntarily stranding them at DEN.

Yes, we could argue that we are only getting one side of the story from an upset parent but that's all we have right now. So unless the GA or UA/UX spokesperson want to give us a response in this forum, that's all we are going to get.

I personally think pursuing legal action should be reserved as the last option, not the first (cost is an issue but so is credibility as you don't want to look like an eager ambulance chaser), but it must still remain a viable option if UA/UX does not start doing a 180 on this matter. So far, the parents seem to have gotten nothing but the runaround from UA/UX.

They should contact UA Customer Relations immediately, if not already done so, at (877) 228-1327 from 8:00 am until 7:00 pm CST Monday-Friday. Or even better, write to them at UA World Headquarters, BOX 66100, Chicago IL 60666 so you can have a paper trail.

They should ask for the following and give UA 7 days in which to respond:

1. An written explanation to see if VDBs were requested. If not, why not when 2 minors traveling alone were involved? Also ask for any relevant details about the decision making by the GA.

2. Compensation equal to no less than the standard IDB compensation or free domestic ticket voucher, at the parents' choosing.

3. A review of UA/UX procedures regarding IDB of non-accompanied minors over the age of 12, whether UM fee has bee paid or not, if no confirmed alternate same-day transportation can be provided

If the parents do not get a satisfactory solution within 7 days, they should contact the local press, the Conde Nast Traveler ombudsman, the BBB or any other outlet they think may help their cause, including an attorney.

By the way, if I had to sue, I would do so in Small Claims Court due to the lower cost. I understand that it might not apply because of the dollar amount threshold.

This brings another question to mind. Can they sue in their home state or do they have to do it in Denver or Chicago?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:05 am

Really?

IDBs immediately get "a fist full of cash," right at the gate?

Must be a new procedure. I didn't think they kept large sums of cash on hand at the gate.
Usually it's in the form of a check, which UA is presumably good for.

However, the traveler can insist on cash, which might require a trip to the ticket counter.

Either way, I really don't see any evidence that these passengers who were IDBed were correctly compensated, regardless of their age.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by dcgators
I think we need to stop defending the GA's actions...
Yes, we could argue that we are only getting one side of the story....
I personally think pursuing legal action should be reserved as the last option....They should contact UA Customer Relations immediately....
If the parents do not get a satisfactory solution within 7 days, they should contact the local press, the Conde Nast Traveler ombudsman, the BBB....
I agree ^
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I don't know who you spoke with but UA is a big airline, it's a big airport and there are A LOT of folks working on different parts of the operation, most not communicating with the other. You say you spoke to 3 agents, who were they and at what point did you talk with them (I'd hazard the guess it was AFTER the flight was gone and the kids were asking what's next).

I have no idea if there is a place on the record to record someone's age (or even if it'd be looked at) if they were not flying as UM, particulary on domestic tickets. Honestly, it was YOUR choice to not pay the fee (and if I was the kids, I would've refused the flight had you chosen to do so at their ages) -- they are now passengers, like everyone else. The fact that they were minors was addressed by putting them in the room, but someone had to be bumped - they had no status and probably didn't speak up quick enough. Regardless - you bought them a ticket, not a child's ticket (e.g. as a UM) Sorry it s*cks, but I'm still on UAs side -- all the kids are owed is the IDB compensation. Stuff happens when you fly - deal with it.

BTW, I don't think you've ever responded to this - at what point was the GA told/reminded that these were kids? I'm still guessing that it was too late at that point to make the change and the flight was closed/gone.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: UAL
Perhaps.

I've seen no mention of asking for volunteers. From what we've seen posted, I'd have to say the GA allowed the first N pax aboard, then stopped.

That isn't right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.