Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attempting To Use Mileage Plus Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Attempting To Use Mileage Plus Points

A recent poster questioned the propriety and ethics of United charging $15 for non 1K's to redeem their earned points to merely get an award that they have already earned. I replied to that post, but felt that my experience was so depraved, especailly in light of my multi-million miler 1K status that I opted to post it here separately. The original poster also mentioned that if you have had similar experiences you may wish to email:

[email protected] , including your name, daytime telephone, your United Airlines flight docs and flight number, as well as the origin and destination.

Here's my experience:

I conccur with the OP. The very notion of charging loyal Mileage Plus members a fee for redeeming an award they have already earned is an outrage. The miles redeemed are the result of prior revenue activity either by flying United or patronizing one of their clients who pay them enormous sums to give Mileage Plus points with a purchase (i.e. Ameritrade, Mileage Plus Visa). United Airlines certainly knew that in developing the Mileage Plus program that there would be associated costs in addition to free tickets and upgrades: such as more reservations, requiring more agents, broadband, website flexibility, etc. For the airline to suddenly impose a "nuissance fee" to issue each earned "free" award is both insulting and abusive.

Even more abusive is United's abhorrant policy of compelling Mileage Plus Members to confirm their tickets within three days, even when the award is not available. On two occassions I attempted to book four seats 331 days prior to departure (which is the earliest United will permit). On both occasions Inventory Control had not yet released award seats and on my fourth attempt I was instructed by a Supervisor that I MUST book four tickets on any days available in order to be placed on a waitlist. That's right: my only option was to hold four roundtrip tickets for dates that we could not possibly travel in order to be placed on a waitlist for the dates we could travel. (I have children in school and obviously won't use those tickets). If the waitlist clears (both outbound and return - the kids have to return to school), great! If not, then it's only $400 to refund the miles for the four mileage tickets to my account for not using tickets that I have repeatedly told United we would and could not use. [I know this sounds unbelievable, so call United to confirm it for yourself]!

Meanwhile, I'm holding four roundtrip award tickets that I promised United that I will not use, while others are on waiting lists dreaming of getting those seats!

Moreover, as with any vacation, I've had to guaranty hotel reservations, car rentals, attractions, and other arrangements. And what do you tell the kids, your associates, the kennel, your relatives and friends: are you going on vacation this year or not?

Last year we were confirmed outbound, and only three of four could be confirmed return. That was our information the night before departure...so we paid the $400 to replace the miles, paid for the hotel confirmations, and lost our deposits on attractions.

I've written to United on multiple occasions concering this year's tickets, and frankly prompted to do so by virtually every reservations agent I speak with who concurs that it's ridiculous to be holding four roundtrip seats that others are coveting when I tell United that under NO circumstance can I use those tickets; that as a 1K I couldn't book my seats 331 days out; and that United charges $400 for the opportunity to gamble yet another year's vacation.

UNITED'S terse reply is that I should either request STANDARD awards (yes, 331 days out) or simply purchase the tickets and enjoy my 100% bonus mileage.

I concur with the OP: an email to the DOT will help bring this fraudulent business practice to an end, or ultimatley be referred to the DOJ.

BTW: If you're waitlisted for four First Class seats to Hawaii departing December 10 and returing December 23...I'm the guy who is holding them, and they would be available if United did not make me ticket those dates so I could get on the waitlist for the seats my kids are actually out of school.

-Craigg
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Urgh, won't you ever stop trolling this board?

You agreed to the terms & conditions when you signed up to MP. If you don't like them, you are also free to leave the program. End of story.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I also have kids (2), and I am taking my family on vacation this summer to Singapore, Hong Kong and Orlando. Kids and wife are all traveling free (I am on paid tickets to earn miles). I am also going to Florida three more times this summer with one of my kids on awards tickets.

That adds up to 12 saver awards tickets in the busy summer travel season. I don't understand if I can do it why others have so much trouble.

I know exactly when my kids are in school when school breaks are, so why gamble on waitlist? It is almost impossible to clear waitlists on heavily traveled vacation routes during school breaks. I would not want my vacation schedule to be decided at the mercy of saver award inventory control.

Think ahead and plan ahead. I always make sure I get awards tickets issued before I even make hotel, car and other reservations. I always follow one rule: @:-) If I can't get confirmed flights, I would not get guaranteed hotel and car reservations. Why triple my risks?

Before I have awards tickets issued, I used the 3-day "reservation hold" period to get vacation leaves approved at work (for me and my wife).

My two kids and wife have not traveled on revenue tickets in the last five years when we take vacation trips during summer and winter school breaks. All I do is plan ahead.

I am sorry to hear your unfortunate experience , and I do hope you have better luck next time.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CraiggForrester
...I replied to that post, but felt that my experience was so depraved, especailly in light of my multi-million miler 1K status that I opted to post it here separately....

Sorry, no. Please don't cross-post.

Folks can reply to your original here should they have any interest in doing so.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=29

cblaisd
Moderator, United

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.