Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Careful...once such a precedent is set, perhaps if enough GS members write, UA will change the boarding process to kick 1K and 1P to the back with the lowly 2Ps again.
How about allowing GS to board with F(they already do), 1Ks and 1Ps board with C(if the flight has a C cabin), 2Ps, then the GMs by boarding number.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Of all the Global Services benefits, the one I'd really like is boarding first.

On mainline flights I have almost always seen UA board F/UGS first, followed by Seating Area 1. Yes, UAX is often a free-for-all, but with them and TED I am already first in line so.

On three class 777s and 747s, when they can board through Door 1L and 2L, they often send First and Business through 1L and SA 1 through 2L.

And very rarely they will board First and SA1 on 757s since First turns left and SA1 turns right.

But all in all, it would be nice to have:
  1. First Class/Business Class/Global Services
  2. Seating Area 1 - Star Alliance Gold (which would include 1K and 1P)
  3. Seating Area 2 - Star Alliance Silver (which would include 2P)
  4. Seating Area 3 - Economy Plus
  5. Seating Area 4 - Economy
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
OK, here's a question. Assume for a moment that there was an unlimited amount of overhead bin space, or that you were guaranteed a place for all your carry-ons. Would you then really care when you board? Do you really like rushing onboard, then sitting for a half hour while everyone else schleps aboard? You always see people massing around the door of the boarding area long before boarding, then rushing forward as if they were boarding a Southwest flight and the seats were first come first served. Maybe carryons should be on a "zone" system too. No status, discount coach ticket, only a purse or laptop. No luggage carried on.

The point is I think this is less about status boarding first or last than it is about overhead bin space. They are afraid to address the outrageous carryons some people take, and so try to resolve it with the zone boarding thing. Doesn't work.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by pb9997
At AA the F cabin boards first, then the 100k and 50k flyers, then Group 1 (only 25k flyers) and then the following groups.
At AA, Group 1 doesn't just include GLD members; also included in Group 1 are those seated in exit row and bulkhead seats.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
The point is I think this is less about status boarding first or last than it is about overhead bin space. They are afraid to address the outrageous carryons some people take, and so try to resolve it with the zone boarding thing. Doesn't work.

Well it's a two-edged problem: those of us who know the rules on carry-ons (and choose to follow them) can board quickly and get settled. Those who fly less often not only bring 100 kilos of stuff with them, they then spend time trying to find space to load it.

I notice SA1 gets on, gets in their seats, and is ready to go within about 10 minutes. Then we spend 30 loading the rest of the plane and trying to find space.

Honestly, UA should have the "bag dimension templates" at check-in, and just take 30 seconds to make sure each one fits. If it doesn't, then they check it. Won't work for those using MEC or MECOL, but then your more seasoned travellers tend to use those systems and they know the rules (and hopefully follow them).

But yes, I do my best to be the first one on, or the first one on after First, because I am almost always in a bulkhead row so it's overhead or nothing. And on 757s, it's double important since there is no overhead for 8D so I need to use 9DEF's (or have the FAs try and put it over the mid-galley overhead if they can).

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Mar 29, 2005 at 6:07 pm
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Won't work for those using MEC or MECOL.
Those are two aconyms I've never seen. What do they mean?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
It is actually being done more often than not, and I agree there should be some breathing room between the first class boarding and area 1.

I think we should remember though that the whole boarding area thing was not meant to reward or punish anyone. It was meant to speed boarding. Giving first class and UGS people priority makes sense I guess, but after that is should be by area only. It seems like the issue isn't seating, it is on board luggage storage. If they would address that a little better than they are, the area boarding thing might work better.
Actually this isnt true. UAs version of zone boarding is known to be slower than boarding by rows from the back. When things are runnnig late it is not uncommon for the GA to board be rows to speed the boarding process.

I asked why they did zone boarding if it's slower. The answer was "Our cutstomers want it".

So....I think it is a reward thing after all.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Those are two aconyms I've never seen. What do they mean?
MEC - Mr. Easy Check-in
MECOL - Mr. Easy Check-in OnLine
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
UAs version of zone boarding is known to be slower than boarding by rows from the back. When things are runnnig late it is not uncommon for the GA to board be rows to speed the boarding process. So, I think (Zone Boarding) is a reward thing after all.
Well even before Zone Boarding they used to board Star Golds and Silvers (UA and other alliance members) before they started boarding from the back. So not like the elites have really gained anything.

And boarding by rows screws the non-elite E+ folks out of the overhead space, and since a number of them were probably paying Y/B/M fares, that is not a good thing for UA.

So if anyone is being rewarded, it would be your non-elite folks who paid to get into E+ and, well, so they should be.

I imagine it's really a wash either way, since it is the infrequent fliers who generally take longest to board and usually require the most assistance to get squared away.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5 Star Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
I guess SFO-SEA, SFO-LAX and SFO-DEN and vice versa are just generally 'elite-heavy'. The boarding process just seems to be a nightmare this year.
Heh.... ANY flight involving SFO or SJC is elite heavy, as well as many of the OAK flights. The joys of the Silicon Valley effect.

Forget upgrades on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon/evening flight.... On one of my late afternoon Friday flights last spring from ORD-SJC I overheard a 2P asking about the upgrade waitlist. The GA indicated that it was highly unlikely.. and he said: "Even for a Premiere Exec?" She just chucked and said "It's a '319, there are 18 Million milers and 38 1P's on board.... all waitlisted.... sorry, but it ain't happening". I'm a 1P and ended up in the back row next to a 1K million miler.... but at least we had the center seat blocked on an otherwise full flight.

D.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Well it's a two-edged problem: those of us who know the rules on carry-ons (and choose to follow them) can board quickly and get settled. Those who fly less often not only bring 100 kilos of stuff with them, they then spend time trying to find space to load it.
Not to turn this into another carry-on luggage discussion, but why is it that no one seems to ever put their bags in lengthwise? I frequently find myself having to turn pax bags that have been tossed in sideways, taking up nearly twice the space they otherwise would, if I'm late to the gate and not among the first to board. If they'd also enforce the "put the bag over YOUR row or nearby," not chuck it in the first available slot, and "put one bag under the seat, the other in the overhead" ...
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
I think what they should do, is just have separate planes for UGS/1K and then everyone else...
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:00 pm
Suspended

To answer a previos question:

If I'm in F or C, I wait until the very end to board. I prefer to stay in the RCC.

If I'm in Y, I'm first on for overhead space. But I can't really remember the last time I was in Y. I've been buying only Z's and Q/YUP's this year. Really raking in the 500's and CR-1's.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:11 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by exerda
If they'd also enforce the "put the bag over YOUR row or nearby," not chuck it in the first available slot ...
Why do ppl do that? I understand if there's no space above the passenger's row but some ppl just chuck their bag in the overhead space immediately after they board and then walk to the back of the plane. Inevitably, they would take up overhead space in Economy Plus which causes late-arriving E+ passengers to have to put their bag in the back rows (above the offending passenger funnily enough) which makes it almost impossible to retrieve upon disembarking. It would be hard to force passengers to store their bags in overhead space above where they're sitting - it'll put the FAs in an awkward position - but I just imagined that ppl would be more reasonable and understanding than that. Don't they think that other passengers need that overhead space too?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blueDC
Why do ppl do that?
Because, ppl, in general, are a**holes. Seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.