Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Harassed by passenger for not giving up seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM

Let me preface this story with the fact that I often give up my seat for people who want to travel together. I just expect the people to ask nicely and be polite. However, there are times when I chose a seat that I don’t want to give up especially if the other seat is not comparable.

I was flying back from D.C. yesterday. I had booked my preferred seat (1H) on the last flight (LAX to HNL) of my 16 hour journey. As many of you know, the first class section of the 767-300 on the HNL route is basically a glorified version of Economy Plus. Based on prior experience, 1H is one of the only seats where I sleep without trapping my seatmate from getting out and work without a seat back reclined in my face.

A man gets on with his wife and 3 children (approximately 1, 2, and 10 years old). He hands the purser his 5 boarding passes and tells her that they have seats all over first class and wants her to get them seats together (note: he is not asking in a nice way, but just expecting her to take care of it). They hold boarding passes for 1A, 1F, 5A, 5B, and 4E. The purser proceeds to ask the man in 1E if he would move to a similar seat in 4E. He agrees and moves. There is a man in 1B, but she doesn’t ask him. Then she comes over to me and asks if I would mind moving to row 5. I tell her that I would prefer not to move and that I picked the seat to sleep and work. The female UA employee next to me in 1J says that she is willing move if needed. The purser tells the man that there is nothing else she can do since I don’t want to move and hands him back the boarding passes. He tells his wife to take the 1 year old to 5A and B. He puts his 10 year old daughter in 1A and doesn’t ask the man in 1B to switch with her. He takes 1 E and puts his 2 year old in 1F.

He then proceeds to make snide remarks to me about how inconvenient it must be for me to switch seats and that I should try to sleep with them next to me. I just lean back, close my eyes and block him out – lots of practice dealing with idiots. Surprisingly, as I'm relaxing with my eyes closed, I overhear the purser apologizing to him for me not giving up my seat! I think she should be apologizing to me!

Anyway, after take-off I put on my Bose noise canceling headphones and peacefully sleep and work the rest of the flight. He just gave me “stink eye” (Hawaii term, but you get it) for the rest of the flight. He also bumped my seat when he had a chance walking around with his daughter. Luckily for me, the FA on my side is super nice to me when I am awake and gives me excellent service. The UA employee next to me just tells me to ignore the guy and that I have every right to be in my reserved seat.

So I’m wondering:

1) Why someone would upgrade his large family knowing that his family would not get seats assigned together? I’m assuming that the upgrades were last minute ones since they boarded quite late. When I travel with family members who want to sit together, I stay in our pre-assigned Y seats unless I can get guaranteed upgraded and assigned seats in F.

2) If I should have done anything more than just ignoring him?

3) Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do?

Thanks for letting me vent! TF

Last edited by TropicalFlyer; Mar 18, 2005 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: UAL
There's also a good chance he paid for F through a travel agent or similar and just never bothered to get seat assignments beforehand.

That's the one thing I hate about being in F - some folks up there have such an overblown sense of importance and entitlement.

And FWIW, you didn't owe him and his family your seat.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA
you have a right to keep the seat you want

the person should have asked you kindly if you would be willing to move, and if not, then just deal with that fact

possibly this person was just one of those snobs that had no idea about consideration for others
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I think I have always moved if I've been asked. I'd rather sit somewhere else (as long as it isn't a real downgrade) than be made to feel bad for the whole flight.

I do think its rude for people to ask, especially if they want you to take a middle seat up the back as a swap for the E+ aisle seat you are occupying, (yes I did this once, but I think I'll say no next time). However, I did swap to a middle seat downstair C on a 744 from an aisle upstairs (I didnt realise at the time). I said something to the FA when I saw my seat about how good a deal that was!....the outcome was good though - I ended up in F ^ for being so thoughtful!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I think that man needs a lesson on manners.

I have 2 young kids, and my wife and I have frequently traveled with them internationally in upgraded C. I always try to reserve far ahead of time to ensure upgrades are available and check the seatmaps to ensure we sit together. If I am told we have been waitlisted, I ususally would not want to take chances, and usually switch dates of travel to ensure the family stays together in-flights. After all, most of people sit in C paid big bucks and are frequent travelers flying on business; the at last thing they need is having young kids disturbing their in-flight routines.

I know it leaves you with a bad taste, but just ignore it. You did the right thing for not respond to his bad behavior, and it showed you have some class. ^ You have every right to be sitting in your seat.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
No need to feel regretful. You planned ahead and got the seat you wanted. I have refused to move once or twice because I too had my favorite seat. But, a the few times when I saw the "ask" coming I swapped for a comparable seat - aisle for aisle, exit for exit.

Just to further take your side. I have been on two flights where the middle seat next to me was blocked and empty, due to status. After the door closed some guy decides to go "Southwest" and asks me if anyone is sitting in the seat next to me. I told him, "yes." He then moved on. If he had a boarding pass for that seat he could have sat there - or if the FA instructed him to sit there.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:14 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Tropical, did you mean the UA employee was in 1J? You said 1A but I think it was a typo.

This guy was out of line. A 10 y/o is perfectly capable of sitting alone. We have UM's starting at age 5! The purser was probably not agreeing with him as much as trying to get him to give it up. She realized he's a jerk just like you did.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by Liz
Tropical, did you mean the UA employee was in 1J? You said 1A but I think it was a typo.
Thanks, Liz. Yes, it was a typo or I have to learn my alphabet better.

TF
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Angry Manners are not required to fly anymore

Two years ago, my wife and I were flying back from SYD (after getting engaged whilst on a trip to the Hunter Valley). Were we boarding the last leg, ORD-PIT, early and we had seats 3B-C. When the rest of the passengers began to board, I was seated in 3C when I was confronted by a grown woman who sneared at me and then turned to the older woman behind her and said "Mommy, there is someone in my seat."

I asked to see the woman's boarding pass, which said 3C. Now, as someone who grew up flying (my mother had 35+ years with DL) and flies 100+ segments a year I knew that this happens. I calmly pressed the FA call button. When the FA arrived, I let the woman bleat, er plead her case, all the while believing that this would be over shortly, with her going to another seat. The woman was traveling with her "mommy" and husband and had been traveling since that morning, all the way from LAS (I fought the urge to say that I had been flying since early too, actually the previous night east coast time). When I heard this, I said that is only 1580 miles (I told you I fly a lot) and the woman then just lost it.

The waterworks began and the FA asks me if I will move. Why should I have to move? I had an itinerery dated six months before. Oh and I am a 1K (these individuals had no status). I declined, since I was with my fiancée and I was tired and could stretch out. The woman starts whining to her "mommy," to which other passengers begin to snicker and make comments. The captain ended up coming back to ask me to move. Now at this point, the CSR from the gate has come on to say that there was an error and that the other woman was to sit in 16A. Since this was not near her "mommy" or husband, she bagan to complain even more. Keep in mind that this is a :52 flight. I was not moving on principle.

Finally, after another 5 minutes, I had had it and moved back to the open exit row with my fiancée. When we got to baggage claim, the woman was there with her now extended family saying to them "There is the guy who wouldn't move so I could sit next to 'mommy." This was a woman 30 years+, with no noticiable mental condition, unless immaturity counts. I was made out to be the bad guy, when I had done nothing wrong except take my assigned seat.

I should not have moved but along with this incident and the people who bring overweight/oversized/3+ bags on-board and then want help to put it in the overhead, I have had it. Civility is lost on the majority of people who fly today. I guess this is what bus and train travel became in the '60s and '70s. Now, I get on the flight and sleep. I cannot expect to get work done, when the person in front of me plays the "how far back does the seat go game?" or feels the need to pull my seat back, in order to get out of their seat.

I feel bad for the original poster and anyone else like us that has to endure these people who do not fly on the regular or do but then fly with their family and expect it to be like when their alone. To all these people, I say fly Southwest or JetBlue. They need the business and cater to the infrequent flyer. Watch your egg races and sit in seats facing each other (this is not an attack on either airline). Thank you for allowing me to rant but sometimes, enough is enough.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always said this world would be a wonderful place if it weren't for all the darn people!

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:23 pm

I was under the impression that when the captain asks you to move, you are no longer entitled to your seat. An airplane is not really a democracy, given the Captain is willing to go down with the ship.

Originally Posted by UA2SYD
Two years ago, my wife and I were flying back from SYD (after getting engaged whilst on a trip to the Hunter Valley). Were we boarding the last leg, ORD-PIT, early and we had seats 3B-C. When the rest of the passengers began to board, I was seated in 3C when I was confronted by a grown woman who sneared at me and then turned to the older woman behind her and said "Mommy, there is someone in my seat."

I asked to see the woman's boarding pass, which said 3C. Now, as someone who grew up flying (my mother had 35+ years with DL) and flies 100+ segments a year I knew that this happens. I calmly pressed the FA call button. When the FA arrived, I let the woman bleat, er plead her case, all the while believing that this would be over shortly, with her going to another seat. The woman was traveling with her "mommy" and husband and had been traveling since that morning, all the way from LAS (I fought the urge to say that I had been flying since early too, actually the previous night east coast time). When I heard this, I said that is only 1580 miles (I told you I fly a lot) and the woman then just lost it.

The waterworks began and the FA asks me if I will move. Why should I have to move? I had an itinerery dated six months before. Oh and I am a 1K (these individuals had no status). I declined, since I was with my fiancée and I was tired and could stretch out. The woman starts whining to her "mommy," to which other passengers begin to snicker and make comments. The captain ended up coming back to ask me to move. Now at this point, the CSR from the gate has come on to say that there was an error and that the other woman was to sit in 16A. Since this was not near her "mommy" or husband, she bagan to complain even more. Keep in mind that this is a :52 flight. I was not moving on principle.

Finally, after another 5 minutes, I had had it and moved back to the open exit row with my fiancée. When we got to baggage claim, the woman was there with her now extended family saying to them "There is the guy who wouldn't move so I could sit next to 'mommy." This was a woman 30 years+, with no noticiable mental condition, unless immaturity counts. I was made out to be the bad guy, when I had done nothing wrong except take my assigned seat.

I should not have moved but along with this incident and the people who bring overweight/oversized/3+ bags on-board and then want help to put it in the overhead, I have had it. Civility is lost on the majority of people who fly today. I guess this is what bus and train travel became in the '60s and '70s. Now, I get on the flight and sleep. I cannot expect to get work done, when the person in front of me plays the "how far back does the seat go game?" or feels the need to pull my seat back, in order to get out of their seat.

I feel bad for the original poster and anyone else like us that has to endure these people who do not fly on the regular or do but then fly with their family and expect it to be like when their alone. To all these people, I say fly Southwest or JetBlue. They need the business and cater to the infrequent flyer. Watch your egg races and sit in seats facing each other (this is not an attack on either airline). Thank you for allowing me to rant but sometimes, enough is enough.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Respect, you have earn it, in this case he obviously didn't. You did the right thing! ^ ^ ^

A little addition: I would probably only give up my seat for: Flight safety (an Air Marshall), the elderly or disabled. Though I have on occassion burn some 500 milers to have a Military Service person upgraded on the same flight I am for all the work they do to defend our nation! ^ ^

Last edited by jujube; Mar 18, 2005 at 11:33 pm
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
People can be putzes, like TropicalFlyer encountered, and others are just so hopelessly spoiled since birth that they cannot comprehend of a world where everyone will not immediately acede to their demands, like UA2SYD encountered.

I am an easy-going guy, in general, but I pick my seats for a specific reason and, frankly, I am not going to give them up. I have not been asked to move in close to fifteen years (and the last time I did it was for a man to sit with his young son LAX-SEA, which bit cause I was with my friend, but like I said, I'm an easy-going guy).

And agrater, while I suppose in theory the Captain can demand a passenger relinquish their seat, they know that passenger will do so and a very scathing letter about the whole incident to UA.

And, honestly, any Captain who would take such an action should be scathed, since it is not a flight safety issue.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Only switch to comparable or better, unless it's an extreme situation.

i.e. Once I voluntarily switched my F seat on a SEA-IAD redeye when I realized the agents were putting a paralyzed man (in a wheelchair) in a E- window seat. I offered to switch but if they could find me a E+ aisle seat or Exit row then it would be a sure thing. (They didn't even think about changing his seat - it would have taken him 15 minutes to get into a window seat). Somehow they freed up a bulkhead aisle (poor woman's 1st class).

I told the agents not to tell the guy what had happened. I didn't want him to think I felt sorry for him or anything. It wasn't that. I just know how difficult it is for paralyzed people to move around the planes, let alone get comfortable.

When I have upgraded my family (parents & brother), always in advance, but can't get Row 1 (often best for handicapped people with mobility problems) pre-assigned, we have found that passengers whom the agent politely asks if they would consider switching to Row 2 have always graciously agreed to do so. And a big thank you to those who have done this!!

HOWEVER, a few weeks ago ORD-IAD on a 320, I had bulkhead window. I hate windows but the plane was chock-a-block full. Middle seats are my worst nightmare as I get kind of claustrophobic squished between two people I don't know. The agent asked if I would switch to the middle seat. Why? The woman in B broke her leg & doesn't want anyone stepping on it. I was like, um normally I wouldn't mind but I despise middle seats. Couldn't I just sit in the window seat and not get up during the flight? Or find me an E+ aisle seat. More discussion between pax & agent. Turns out the woman's husband was on the flight in an E+ aisle seat and he would not switch with me! Crikey, even he didn't want to sit next to his wife. At that point the agent said forget it -- just get on board. Yes, I got glared at during the flight. Thankfully I had my Bose headphones and was able to take a nap.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
I had a similarly cute one:

IAD-ZRH near XMas. Paid for a Z fare, reserved 5H (window bulkhead) on the 763. Row 5 is really the only place I like sitting on the 76, but I move all the time for folks that ask nicely.

Once I'm onboard, I notice that there's this guy sitting in my seat. I politely ask him to move. He does. I ask the guy sitting next to me if they are friends and would they like to sit together. He says they don't know each other, but the guy was coveting my seat and was lingering in the hopes it wouldn't fill.

The next thing I know, dude is up and about agitating with the FAs. So, the purser comes over and (in her great French accent) asks me if I would mind moving back to 9G or something. I ask her why the gentleman would like to move. She says that there is a missing floor-lighting cover near him and he doesn't want to sit there. I politely tell her that I'm not interested in moving.

Apparently, my seat is the only seat that will work for the guy, because the next thing I know, the FO is back in our cabin and the pax tells him that he will not stay onboard if they can't reaccomodate him in another seat (on this full flight the Friday before Xmas). The FO offers that it's his prerogative (after explaining why the seat isn't unsafe). The guy then gets huffy, asks for his jacket from the FA and walks off the plane.

Suddenly, I feel kinda bad, not knowing the entire story. As I'm sure it's clear to you now (as it later became for me after talking to the FA), the guy just really wanted a better seat, and didn't get it. So, he made it uncomfortable for everyone.

I loathe that attitude.

<G>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.