Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

getting baggage from United to Air NZ flight in SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Hi everyone,
My sister-in-law and I are flying this Sunday from SFO-SYD on the United non-stop, then transferring to an Air New Zealand flight two hours later to Christchurch. The United and Air NZ flights are on two separate tickets and itineraries.

I've done this trip before with carry-on luggage, in which I simply went to the transfer desk at SYD once I arrived and they checked me in, then I went to the gate.

I suspect, however, that she will check luggage. Will we have to exit everything, pick it up, then re-check in at the ticket counters, or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Hi everyone,
My sister-in-law and I are flying this Sunday from SFO-SYD on the United non-stop, then transferring to an Air New Zealand flight two hours later to Christchurch. The United and Air NZ flights are on two separate tickets and itineraries.

I've done this trip before with carry-on luggage, in which I simply went to the transfer desk at SYD once I arrived and they checked me in, then I went to the gate.

I suspect, however, that she will check luggage. Will we have to exit everything, pick it up, then re-check in at the ticket counters, or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!
though on 2 tickets, they should be able to check your bags through (at least LH would so I expect UA to do the same).

cheers,

ben
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just show both tickets when you checkin in SFO and ask the agent to check your luggage all the way from SFO to CHC, as both are *A flights this will be possible. I have done this myself a few times from LAX and it always works.

If you only have two hours in SYD it will be very tight to go through immigration (depending on the time of day you arrive it can take a while), collect bags, go through customs, check-in to CHC, immigration and security. I think you might also need a visa for Australia if you exit there, even if you only pick up your bags and then check-in again to go somewhere else outside Australia.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You will need to get bags checked through. Check-in at SFO should ask to see your ticket. You could also get the NZ boarding passes if you like (I certainly would).

Assuming your bags are checked through then easy transfer (with security check and proof of ongoing sector - ie ticket or BP). If your bags arent checked through then need to clear immigration twice. Will be pushing to do this in scheduled 2 hours if arrive at a busy period, or if first flight is late.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
I recently did the same thing with carry on only (and going to Auckland). UA could not issue my air NZ boarding pass in LAX because it was a booked as a different ticket. When I got to SYD, I asked what I should do and was told I need to clear immagration, go upstairs and check-in again with air NZ and re-clear security. I dont even think UA will let you board a SYD flight without a Australian visa (which takes 2 minutes to obtain.. you can even do it at the airport).
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Last fall, I checked in at CHC on Air New Zealand to SYD, with a continuing flight on United from SYD - LAX. I had hoped to carry on my bag, but they told me it exceeded the weight limit.

So, I had to check it. Unfortunately, I did not have a printout showing my connecting flight to LAX, so in SYD, I had to go through customs, get my bag from baggage claim, re-enter customs, and then check in.

It was certainly a pain -- and was interesting trying to explain it to the customs agent...

Agent: "How long have you been in Sydney?"
Me: "About 10 minutes"

After explaining the situation, he stamped my passport, agreed that sometimes the airlines can be tough, and I was on my way. It actually may have not been the worst thing to have happened, because the line at the transfer desk was enormously long.

So...if you check, just make sure you can show your full itinerary; otherwise, you may have to go through something similar.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by fm747
..If you only have two hours in SYD it will be very tight to go through immigration (depending on the time of day you arrive it can take a while)
As far as I understand the OP, they are not going to do this - they are transferring to NZ right away. And for this they will not need to immigrate and clear customs. Only the North American countries imlement this policy to check the transit passengers.
Two hours will be sufficient for transferring even to a domestic flight in the other terminal but the OP won't need that.

The only problem I can see is that any airline you have a ticket with for Australia, is obliged to check your visa for Oz, and as they cannot check you through to AirNZ, UA might insist on the OP getting a tourist visa.
I would call them and make sure they accept a valid AirNZ ticket to transfer.
Otherwise it safes some money to buy the visa ahead of time (UA US charges US$50 for them), possibly online:
http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
Buying it directly from the Oz authorities will set you back by Oz$20 which is a lesser rip off than paying a last minute visa at a US airport. Still a rip off though...
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by weero
As far as I understand the OP, they are not going to do this - they are transferring to NZ right away. And for this they will not need to immigrate and clear customs.
Correct, as long as bags are checked right through (which should be on showing the other ticket). If bags only checked to SYD then will need to clear immigration (twice) etc.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
The only problem I can see is that any airline you have a ticket with for Australia, is obliged to check your visa for Oz, and as they cannot check you through to AirNZ, UA might insist on the OP getting a tourist visa.
I would call them and make sure they accept a valid AirNZ ticket to transfer.
Otherwise it safes some money to buy the visa ahead of time (UA US charges US$50 for them), possibly online:
http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
Buying it directly from the Oz authorities will set you back by Oz$20 which is a lesser rip off than paying a last minute visa at a US airport. Still a rip off though...
UA gave me mine for free over the phone at the time of ticketing...
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Thanks all for the advice. Since we are spending some time in SYD on our way back, we already have the electronic visas so that is not an issue.

I showed her this thread and I think I have convinced her that carrying on is best if she can possibly swing that. She originates in Omaha and they might be a bit less familiar with checking passengers through to CHC than the folks at SFO. Not sure, but that is my guess.

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Thanks all for the advice. Since we are spending some time in SYD on our way back, we already have the electronic visas so that is not an issue.

I showed her this thread and I think I have convinced her that carrying on is best if she can possibly swing that. She originates in Omaha and they might be a bit less familiar with checking passengers through to CHC than the folks at SFO. Not sure, but that is my guess.

Thanks!
Shouldn't be an issue, even at very small airports. All they need to do is type the flight number into the UA reservation and the baggage tag prints out. They don't need to locate the NZ reservation on the computer, just see something (i.e. a printout) that proves they are booked on the onward flight.

I've checked bags from UA through to NZ, on separate bookings, going to places like APW (Apia, Samoa). The UAX staff had no idea where Apia was but didn't need to - they just type in the flight number and up pops the airport code on the baggage tag.

NA are likewise happy to check bags right through.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Hi everyone,
I did this in Nov 2004. All luggage was checked thru to CHC in ORD. The agent just wanted to see both tickets. At the SFO F lounge I was asked about my Oz visa and I explained I was only transiting and showed my onward connection ticket on NZ to CHC.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:49 pm

I do not see a problem for your luggage. I've had mine checked from SYD all the way to some strange locations in Europe with tix purchased from different airlines. Even though they cannot issue you bp's, they can check your luggage through. But maybe this is just UA staff at SYD check-in? ^
Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tann1001
UA gave me mine for free over the phone at the time of ticketing...
I heard that in some places it can be embedded in the ticket price.
But I also travelled with other pax who were forced to pay the hefty $50 for a last minute ETA in SFO despite having expensive tickets from UA to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.