Search

United F and C Awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
United F and C Awards

Hello,

I am new to Flyer Talk, so I apoligize if this has been covered before.
I have many miles on United. Occassionally, I check united.com for availability of F and C trips from SFO to LHR and SFO to SYD.
My experience has been that even if you're booking months ahead, availability will change from hour to hour. For instance, one day there will be 0 seats in F or C for a flight on September 30, and the next day the computer shows 9 seats in both cabin. Is it my imagination that United opens these free seats up for awards for a few hours (days) and then closes it down again only to open it again the next day (week)?

Also, it appears to me that United is making very few saver business seats available on any flight across the pond?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
You could always call - depending on your level of status the small handling charge could be wave if you're 1K, if memory serves, otherwise it's 15? That way they can do the leg work for you - it's a small $ amount.

And in answer to your question, no, some of those seats are the most sort after, without knowing more, (i.e. time, day, high season or not), the seats changes quiet often. Again, it also depends on your status.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by davidsfo
Also, it appears to me that United is making very few saver business seats available on any flight across the pond?
I've run into this as well when trying to book awards for my parents from IAD to MUC for a late January trip this year. I'd been looking for weeks at saver biz awards with no availabilty. On a whim, I checked Saver F awards and had no problems with availability. In fact, it was a full two weeks from initial investigation into saver F awards and booking with no problems. Also suprising is when I checked a few weeks ago, there was still saver F open in May! Hmmm - 160000 miles for standard C award, 100000 for saver F or 80000 for standard Y?

However, in United's defense, the saver awards are intended for those awardee's who are extremely flexible (or lucky!?). If you can swing creative routings and flexible arrival/departure dates, you should be able to find some saver awards....
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:36 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by gesoffen
Hmmm - 160000 miles for standard C award, 100000 for saver F or 80000 for standard Y?

Not that it's that important, but saver awards US - Europe are 50/80/100 and Standard are 80/150/200. At least they are today...

Billy
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davidsfo

OR, some folks are smart enough to book them when they see "9" and not let them disappear.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:47 am

Programs: 1K, PC Royal Ambassador, SPG gold, Ameniti, Marriott Rewards, DC rewards,AA,SCI
Business Saver Awards for INT travel are a joke

Looking thru a 4 month period for flights ORD to PVG the is NOTHING available in Business Saver awards. However First class savers are available with regularity and much less costly in terms of Miles. International upgrades are waitlisted ALWAYS. Its getting more and more difficult to utilize the benefits we should be getting as loyal United customers. Until enough people e-mail 1K and express their dissapointment we will continue to lose more and more.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kjpglobal
Looking thru a 4 month period for flights ORD to PVG the is NOTHING available in Business Saver awards. However First class savers are available with regularity and much less costly in terms of Miles. International upgrades are waitlisted ALWAYS. Its getting more and more difficult to utilize the benefits we should be getting as loyal United customers. Until enough people e-mail 1K and express their dissapointment we will continue to lose more and more.
Just picking one route may be unfaire, if that route has heavy demend. What you mean by that F saver seats are available and less costly in miles?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kjpglobal

Looking thru a 4 month period for flights ORD to PVG the is NOTHING available in Business Saver awards. However First class savers are available with regularity and much less costly in terms of Miles.
Do tell.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by dilbert
What you mean by that F saver seats are available and less costly in miles?
I'm guessing: it's less costly than a standard C award.

<G>
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:48 pm

What makes a standard F award worth twice the saver's 100k? I'm not sure I understand the difference. I've used savers in the past and have just booked another. No problems so far. What is the advantage?

And always call to arrange an award flight. I always tell them to be creative with my connections, but I don't mind going out of the way to hang out for a few hours here or there. Sometimes two identical calls on different days will yield drastically differently flight availablities, so always at least get a confirmation number when you find something you like.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Welcome to FlyerTalk davidsfo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.