Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Transit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Singapore Transit

I will be arriving Singapore at around 11:30 pm and have a connecting flight to Tokyo the next morning at 7:20 am on UA business class. Can I stay at the SQ's Krisflyer lounge? Or, any suggestion for the ~ 6 hours transit time?

Many thanks for the suggestion!!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Only if you are PPS, or flying business on SQ. *G lounge is Premier lounge.

SIN has transit hotel - reportedly need to book to be sure of getting a room though.

Otherwise just go into the city. Doesnt take long and immigration is fairly painless.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Thanks!

Are there restaurants that are still open after 1 am? Any further recommendation?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:39 pm

Programs: 1P lusting for 1K
Originally Posted by joed
Thanks!

Are there restaurants that are still open after 1 am? Any further recommendation?
You can have the cab driver take you to the Newton Hawker Center, open all night, lots of cab drivers and night workers. Fun place to eat and watch people.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
This may be just me, but my UA flights into Asia and especially Singapore tend to arrive extremely early. You may be able to gain up to 1 hour more because of this. Don't know if you will have a lot to do in the city at midnight though. Have a safe trip
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joed
I will be arriving Singapore at around 11:30 pm and have a connecting flight to Tokyo the next morning at 7:20 am on UA business class. Can I stay at the SQ's Krisflyer lounge? Or, any suggestion for the ~ 6 hours transit time?
Actually, you can enter the SQ Krisflyer lounge with your UA business class ticket. As far as I know, the SA rules stipulate that you may enter a partners Business and First Class lounge if you have a Business or F ticket on one of the Star Alliance carriers - I have actually walked over to T2 to the SQ lounge when I was early, waiting for my departure to Tokyo on UA.

Be nice.

Or why don't you get a room at the transit hotel?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by UA 882
Or why don't you get a room at the transit hotel?
Here's a link to the Transit Hotel. Take the Standard room and tell them your wake up call time. The standard room has a bath attached. Get some shuteye.

Book in advance, they respond over e-mail with a confirmation. Carry a print out of the e-mail confirmation when you checkin.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:41 am

Programs: 1K-UA, Plat-MR
Stay at the Transit hotel. There are several flights that arive around that time, so customs can be 15 to 20 minutes (worse the closer you get to midnight), claim your luggage, grab a cab, and the next thing you know you're in a town (that does sleep) after midnight, with little to do, and hotels prices aren't nearly as good as the Transit hotel's price. Simply put you're on too tight a layover to enjoy Singapore. I've known guys who did MRs to SIN, they always stay at the Transit Hotel for their 6 hour layover.

Last edited by [email protected]; Feb 21, 2005 at 12:51 am
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Stay at the Transit hotel. There are several flights that arive around that time, so customs can be 15 to 20 minutes (worse the closer you get to midnight), claim your luggage, grab a cab, and the next thing you know you're in a town (that does sleep) after midnight, with little to do, and hotels prices aren't nearly as good as the Transit hotel's price. Simply put you're on too tight a layover to enjoy Singapore. I've known guys who did MRs to SIN, they always stay at the Transit Hotel for their 6 hour layover.
Oh, I respectfully disagree but welcome to FT anyway!

Quite a few of FTers have reported great fun (depending your idea of fun I guess) by going to the Night Safari which is a late night/overnight affair, eating at the many open-air food stalls and just roaming the streets for a few hours. I don't think many people are able to sleep very well at the transit hotel due to the fact that 12am - 6am is basically 1pm - 7pm on the east coast. It's likely that you've been doing most of your sleeping involuntarily on your NRT-SIN or HKG-SIN leg as I've noticed most passengers "pass out" on that leg. It's funny, because you can almost tell who came in from the U.S. and who was just flying the leg originating HKG or NRT!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:02 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You must have Singapore confused with somewhere else.

Singapore is one of the more vibrant nighttime cities. I've not once waited more than 2 minutes for immigration, and arrive regularly on the UA flight from Hong Kong. Further, the transit hotel, while certainly convenient, can't be compared to full service hotels in Singapore that are more pricey. It literally is just a place to sleep and by no means a full service hotel. If you'd like to compare it to some hostels, feel free.

To the OP: If you've never been into the city, catch a cab, have some chili crab, and walk around. I'll bet you some hot nuts that you'll find families (incl children) eating alongside you at Hawker Centres in the whee hours of the morning. Everyone speaks english so you'll have no problem at all.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Or as my colleague likes to do with a 6hr layover in Singapore - head over to Geylang for some fun - plus they have really good food there.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jujube
Or as my colleague likes to do with a 6hr layover in Singapore - head over to Geylang for some fun...

I don't even want to know....
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA 882

I don't even want to know....
Just go for the food and forget other offerings.

Here is a link to those who are interested in the food only:

Geylang Quickie
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jujube
Or as my colleague likes to do with a 6hr layover in Singapore - head over to Geylang for some fun - plus they have really good food there.
I actually stayed in Geylang once. Never again.

My bed in my 6 month old modern hotel had a plastic sheet under the bottom sheet. On the street, I was solicited by a pimp. I saw a very young hooker at the corner.

Although funny now, never again!

I think that the Newton Circus idea is a good one. I love stall 29 with supurb prawns and fried rice and Anchor beer (in separate containers). BTW, after your plane ride and then your visit to the city, you'll want/need a good shower (Singapore is very hot and very humid). The transit hotel also rents out showers for a song.

Otherwise, the Transit Hotel costs aboout US$38 for the 6 hours that you need.

Note: The Transit Hotels and the Silver Kris Lounge are AIRSIDE. Do NOT go through immigrations. You cannot claim checked bags and then get to the Transit Hotel or Silver Kris Lounge!

Oh, yes, the only food that I remember seeing at SIN during the third shift was from a stinky Burger King that was Landside in T1.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
1) Book the transit lounge hotel
2) Have an itinerary ready for the night safari
3) See how you feel when you arrive, no penalty for cancelling the transit lounge, in fact, I think you can just no show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.