Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Matching status from *alliance Gold to UA Premier Executive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold;Hyatt Diamond;DragonAir Gold;PC/IC Plat RA;*wood Gold;AA Exp Plat;AF Gold

Hi,

Does anyone know whether there is a matching program for Star Alliance (SQ) Gold to Premier Executive in United?

My reason is that I have been relocated to Taiwan/Shanghai. Therefore, I wish to fly United from SFO with upgrade (SQ upgrades are too high). I think I could reach 1k 3 months later, considering 3 round-the-world trips (SFO-NRT-TPE-FRA-EWR-SFO).

Pls advise.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
In general, Star Alliance carriers do not match each other's status as part of an "anti-poaching" agreement.

One way you can get around this rule is to see if Northwest Airlines will match your status; with you being based in Asia, where NW has a relatively strong route network they may very well do so. Even if you don't intend to fly NW, you can then use your comp to NW Gold to get a comp to UA Premier Executive.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Actually, there have been a number of cases where UA will match 1P with AC Elite, with a kind letter as to why you want the matching process. So give it a shot!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
United might successfully grant you a status match from another Star Alliance Program. Yes it has indeed happened if it means revenue to UA.

Ideally try the foreign UA sales office to handle and make your case to the fellows in Chicago, where the match is granted in the end. Once you're matching from SQ, probably UA Singapore should be where you are to contact UA sales office, eventually another friendlier UA sales office in the region.

UA local sales office might be interested in the revenue you promise to send them. So, I wouldn't make a point stating that you're originating in SFO...

Foreign Sales Offices look for revenue - which sometimes means having to match foreign Frequent Flyer Programs where high-rev foreign passengers are usually found.

As others have mentioned UA USA might not be so inclined to match you as the Asia's sales office who are fully aware of the quirks of the alien *A program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.