Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Ticket Agents Refuse to Combine VDB Vouchers with %-Off Certificate; What to Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Ticket Agents Refuse to Combine VDB Vouchers with %-Off Certificate; What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Just stood in line for awhile at SFO to ticket an itinerary. I planned to use a combination of VDB credits, a 15%-off certificate, and cash. When I got to the counter, the agents were firm that the credits and certificate could not be combined. I was surprised but went ahead and ticketed the itinerary without using the Friends Plus percent-off certificate. Then I returned to my computer and reviewed the Flyertalk UAL FAQs. From that, it seems clear that the two can be combined (the travel credits say not combinable, the 15% off certificate says "only one discount certificate, discount voucher, or discount may be used per itinerary").

Two questions: 1) are these two instruments indeed combinable, and 2) if so, do I have any recourse at this point to get them to credit the value of the discount cert back to me for this itinerary?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:23 pm

Depends on the flavor of your 15% off certificate, but most percent (or dollar) off certificates may indeed be combined with VDB certs.

The agent should read through the "profile" named on your percent off certificate. For example, one 15% certificate sometimes discussed on this board is PMO/FRIENDS. Most of the dollar off certificates out there are PMO/DOLLARUA. The Entertainment Book certificates are PMO/ENTERTAINMENT 2005. All of those (and most others) have the following restriction (and the exception you're looking for):

- NOT EXTENDABLE/NOT COMBINABLE WITH OTHER DISCOUNTS/
DISCOUNT NOT PERMITTED ON THE FOLLOWING:
EXCEPTION: TRAVEL CREDIT OR VOUCHER/MCO PERMITTED
- COMPANION FARES - AGENCY DISCOUNTS
- INDUSTRY DISCOUNTS - CONTRACT FARES
- BULK FARES - CONVENTION DISCOUNTS
- TOUR CONDUCTORS - CHILDRENS FARES/DISCOUNTS
- FAMILY PLANS - GOVERNMENT FARES
- MILITARY FARES - GROUP FARES/DISCOUNTS
- SENIOR CITIZEN FARE - SENIOR DISCOUNTS
- STUDENT FARES - YOUTH FARES/DISCOUNTS
- INFANT DISCOUNTS - TOUR BASING
- VISIT USA FARES - CS/PW DISSERVICE CERTS
- ROUND-THE-WORLD AND CIRCLE THE PACIFIC PRODUCTS
- EMERGENCY QRCARE‡ FARES
- OTHER PROMOTIONAL PROGRAMS
*CONTRACT FARES: CORPORATE VOLUME AGREEMENTS/MEET-
INGS PLUS/AREA PRICING/INCENTIVE ZONE FARES/UNITED
VACATIONS/WHOLESALE-BULK/REACH-FOR-THE-SKIES

This isn't a secret -- any travel agent with access to a GDS can pull this up for you, as can any UA agent at the airport or over the phone.

Since you've already ticketed, I'd go back to the ticketing location and ask a supervisor to refund the original ticket (even if nonrefundable) and do the transaction again.

Last edited by vdb seeker; Jan 14, 2005 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I agree w/the previous poster--get a supervisor and have them do it again. I combined VDBs w/% off coupons 4 separate times last year (at SFO) and found that the TAs at the dedicated counter (the one that's open most of the day and separate from the check-in counters) is the best place to get 'complicated' txns done. These agents seem better equipped to deal...good luck!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Possible bmi Issue

Just called 1K Reservations. They checked the itinerary and suggested that a short British Midland (bmi) flight LHR-CDG might be the problem. I'd forgotten about that, and the "helpful" ticket agents didn't mention it, just that the two instruments aren't combinable under any circumstances. If they had mentioned bmi, I might possibly have revised the itinerary. The PMO/Friends cert does say valid UA, UX, Ted only.

So.....I guess they're not combinable in this case? Should they even have accepted the VDB vouchers which are also UA only? And just for future reference, in a similar stonewalling case would it be possible to revise the itinerary to all-United after ticketing, apply the 15%-off cert, and not incur a service charge?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by dogmom11
I agree w/the previous poster--get a supervisor and have them do it again. I combined VDBs w/% off coupons 4 separate times last year (at SFO) and found that the TAs at the dedicated counter (the one that's open most of the day and separate from the check-in counters) is the best place to get 'complicated' txns done. These agents seem better equipped to deal...good luck!
Don't bet on a service director to help you at SFO. There is one in particular at that station that is completely useless and does not even know how to issue a ticket if a CS25 is involved. If you need to ticket at SFO, I would suggest the RCC. If you have to do it outside security I would look for a young asian lady who has a disability (you will notice it immediately if you watch her type). On more than one occaision I have seen her called over to deal with a complicated purchase. Or you could always go for ticketing by mail.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:12 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Everyone was indeed correct...until you threw in the bmi part. That would negate the whole thing.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I think you shouldn't have been allowed to use either the vouchers OR the 15% off Friends Plus coupon on your bmi-inclusive itinerary.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Since an all-United routing to Paris would not be at the optimal time of day, I guess I got lucky by having the two agents accept the most valuable of the instruments (vouchers good for $450 of the $612 fare). However, what still bothers me as a customer is that they apparently didn't notice the bmi issue, and claimed that vouchers and a certificate are not combinable, which they indeed are. And I guess that United may have an issue with them accepting vouchers.

Might better training be called for, and a little less certainty from agents who are not informed? BTW, this took place at the far left of the main ticket counter in the early evening, since the stand-alone ticketing alcove had closed for the day.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
However, what still bothers me as a customer is that they apparently didn't notice the bmi issue, and claimed that vouchers and a certificate are not combinable, which they indeed are. And I guess that United may have an issue with them accepting vouchers.

Might better training be called for, and a little less certainty from agents who are not informed?
Sounds to me like you missed the whole BMI thing until people here called it out, so waht does that say about your own vigilance, Mr. Bothered Customer? Looks like you missed a prime opportunity to initiate that training. Oh well live and learn.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
As the current PMO/Friends do now, as they have ALWAYS done, clearly specified itinerary and booking must be ENTIRELY on UA metal, I can't see why you ever thought they'd be accepted?

Much less accusing staff of "refusing" to accept them on FT.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Am I stupid

I have a PMO/FRIENDS 15% coupon,on the very last line of said coupon reads "Only one discount certificate, discount voucher,or discount may be used per itinerary for up to four passengers." Now I also have a DOLLAR-UA Systemwide. IPW 300. Now tell me for an ALL UA metal flight how can I combined both for an International Flight. Please tell me I can . But I have tried in the past and the answer is always only per 1 discount per itinerary????
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:54 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
I have a PMO/FRIENDS 15% coupon,on the very last line of said coupon reads "Only one discount certificate, discount voucher,or discount may be used per itinerary for up to four passengers." Now I also have a DOLLAR-UA Systemwide. IPW 300. Now tell me for an ALL UA metal flight how can I combined both for an International Flight. Please tell me I can . But I have tried in the past and the answer is always only per 1 discount per itinerary????
Can't. Both of these are DISCOUNTS to the price of the ticket. Only one discount per ticket. The VDB vouchers are like cash; hence, a form of payment. That's why you can combine a discount voucher and a form of payment. Sorry.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Folks asking - this has been discussed a lot.

Do a search for "Type A" and "Type B" vouchers and much detailed info in there for you.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Thanks for the prompt answer. The sick part is I had those VDB coupons (4 $75) that were food for systemwide travel and used them, but no 15% coupon.Oh well next time..
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Folks asking - this has been discussed a lot.

Do a search for "Type A" and "Type B" vouchers and much detailed info in there for you.
Oz is right -- can't combine these two (Friends and Dollarua), but it's a little more complicated than Type A/Type B. For international travel, all vouchers (including Friends) *should* be converted to a dollar amount and done as type B exchanges (not a discount.) Nonetheless, per the terms of these two certificates, and given the lack of any exception, they can't be combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.