Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Double Miles in 2005 (up to 35K) Targeted Promo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Miles in 2005 (up to 35K) Targeted Promo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
What are these folks crazy.

My offer says "Just register, then purchase and fly 10 paid, qualifying roundtrip(s) (F, A, P, C, D, Z, Y, B, E, M, U, H or Q booking class) anywhere United®, United Express® or Ted(SM) flies between January 16 and April 15, 2005. After you've flown 10 qualifying roundtrip(s), you'll earn double miles for all qualifying roundtrips completed during the promotion period up to a maximum of 35,000 miles."

This is a crazy amount of flights to have to fly with in the time period for a promo. I guess this is the one for those fo us who flew too much in 1Q last year with the 3X deal.

Last year I flew 105K BIS with 129K EQM.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

I'm a 1P, and I have to fly 6 flights to qualify. Fat chance!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
At least all of you have received this offer.... I am not invited.

Perhaps UA thinks I am already loyal and fly enough, therefore there is no need to entice me to fly more.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
At least all of you have received this offer.... I am not invited.

Perhaps UA thinks I am already loyal and fly enough, therefore there is no need to entice me to fly more.
Give it a couple more minutes. I am sure you will get the email, provided you are registered with UA/MP to receive emails. Mine showed up two minutes ago; I need one qualifying flight. Seems like a lame promotion anyway, too complicated (green star flights) and capped at 35k miles.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
still waiting for my emil,

its like the lottery , will it be one flight or ten flights,
or somewhere in the middle ?

Who has a spread sheet set-up for number of miles last year / number of flights needed ?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: ua 1k
Originally Posted by rally
still waiting for my emil,

its like the lottery , will it be one flight or ten flights,
or somewhere in the middle ?

Who has a spread sheet set-up for number of miles last year / number of flights needed ?
Bah, haven't gotten mine.. I'm a 2P, although most of my flight miles came on codeshare using US metal... knowing my luck it'd be something like 15 flights or something absurd.

Seatown-D
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Only 2 Flights required for me...1K with 108k BIS in 2004 - only rarely in H or above.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
"Not valid on Government Fare"

I understand the double mile promotion does not grant to Government Fare, but can a person fly on government fare meeting the "First Qualifying Round-trip" rule?

Anyone government workers or contractors know the answer?

I wonder how UA decide the number of qualifying roundtrip(s). No everyone is created and treated equally.....
Yes, I would like to know this as well, as I'm in the same boat.

I'm flying to Germany in March and it would be great to get a bonus 10k miles.

And I don't get WHY they don't allow government fares. My H class fare is $200 more than what someone in Q is paying for the trip, yet THEY can get miles and I can't?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
From the T&C:

8. Member will earn double redeemable bonus flight miles for purchasing and flying United First® (F, A, P), United Business® (C, D, Z) or United Economy® (Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q).

So no, double miles earned are not EQMs.
Not much attraction to me then. I get a fair number of miles off my United Visa card, but of course those aren't EQM. If this were an EQM promotion, I'd find a way to get it working to my advantage! Otherwise, not much sense in paying a (possibly considerably) higher fare with a return that's the equivalent of perhaps $5-10k of credit-card purchases (when you own a buisness, you can run that up pretty quickly).

--Mike--
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I understand the double mile promotion does not grant to Government Fare, but can a person fly on government fare meeting the "First Qualifying Round-trip" rule?
No, it would not be a "qualifying fare".

Originally Posted by Superguy
And I don't get WHY they don't allow government fares?
I expect it's in the contract. It's considered extra remuneration and falls under the same rules as government employees accepting gifts from businesses.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, it would not be a "qualifying fare".

I expect it's in the contract. It's considered extra remuneration and falls under the same rules as government employees accepting gifts from businesses.
Thing is the contract fares are all over the place. I can understand that some fares applying that caveat. For example, in September, I went to San Francisco to a conference on a Y class fare that cost around $350. Now you and I know that's more like a U, T, or W fare. So I wouldn't expect the promotion, but it sure would be nice.

I did get E+ and 1.25x EQM, so that was nice.

Airline miles and vouchers don't apply to the "gift" rule. A few years back, the government could claim your miles, but that was changed around 2000. But notw, if it's your butt in the seat, you keep the miles. So if you were to get bonus miles, or vouchers for getting bumped, they're yours. I flew free for Christmas due to a bump in LAX on the government "Y" fare.

I just don't think it should be a blanket thing. If the fare is above what a lower classed qualifying Orbitz ticket is, it should apply. If it's below, like my Y SFO ticket was, no problem.

United's definitely not giving those on some gov't fares a fare shake.

Super
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA - Always
1K here and need only fly 2 paid roundtrips.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Superguy
Airline miles and vouchers don't apply to the "gift" rule.
Which is why those fares earn miles. But perhaps boni are considered to be a different beast.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Still nothing here in the East Bay !! Where is the love ?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which is why those fares earn miles. But perhaps boni are considered to be a different beast.
Perhaps. Still doesn't mean it doesn't suck though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.