Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

waitlist closed, upgrade denied, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

I am flying from JFK-NRT-BKK this Thursday, October 7th. I waitlisted using SWUs for upgrades both ways.

Today I checked my itinerary on ual.com and found that I've been upgraded on the JFK-NRT leg, but for NRT-BKK it said "upgrade denied". When I called United I found that the upgrade list has been closed and was told that was because no more seats are available. First of all, there are seats available for purchase, and secondly, why wouldn't they just keep the waitlist open until checkin at NRT and then close it once all the seats have filled?

Any advice on what to do? Maybe I should just be relieved I cleared JFK-NRT.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I am flying from JFK-NRT-BKK this Thursday, October 7th. I waitlisted using SWUs for upgrades both ways.

Today I checked my itinerary on ual.com and found that I've been upgraded on the JFK-NRT leg, but for NRT-BKK it said "upgrade denied". When I called United I found that the upgrade list has been closed and was told that was because no more seats are available. First of all, there are seats available for purchase, and secondly, why wouldn't they just keep the waitlist open until checkin at NRT and then close it once all the seats have filled?

Any advice on what to do? Maybe I should just be relieved I cleared JFK-NRT.

Thanks all.
This could have occurred for a variety of reasons:

1. The number of people already on the waitlist ahead of you equals or exceeds the amount of C seats that could reasonably be expected to become available;

2. The NRT-BKK flight is badly overbooked and any remaining C seats will be used for D-of-D load management.

3. United believes that it can sell the remaining C seats, and isn't willing to part with less than a C fare for them.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:33 am

I would try it again at the check-in desk at JFK. Maybe ask them for the status of your upgrade, act surprised when they tell you it was denied. Ask if there are any seats unsold, if yes, can you have one, etc.

If you strike out at JFK, I would head straight to the RCC once you land at NRT and go through it again. In the event NRT can upgrade you, they may insist on taking another SWU. It'll be your choice whether you want to fight with MP afterwards on why you should have only paid with one.

Sometimes persistence can pay off. Otherwise, hope the op-upgrade fairy pays you a visit.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
I would try it again at the check-in desk at JFK. Maybe ask them for the status of your upgrade, act surprised when they tell you it was denied.
Sage advice - and I am confident you will get back on the upgrade list. Remember that on the day of departure, the waitlist goes by status then time that you get on the list. You'll be getting on it very early since you board in JFK.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you were on the waitlist for both 801 and 837 then it seems strange that you were subsequently removed from the waitlist for 837? Not sure I recall ever hearing about such an occurrence? (There have been a few posts about the waitlist being closed.) I would be inclined to call back and verifiy if I was ever on the w/l for 837, and if so, why was I removed? In July (16, a Friday BTW)I cleared 837 5 min. before the doors closed, having gotten the last Y-->C upgrade, with another ~ 10 or so folks waiting around for their upgrades. I think they bumped someone from C-->F to clear space in C for me, and possibly one other person?

Here's hoping you clear at check-in, or at least get a DM card. (I got a DM card for NRT-BKK when I checked in in BOS approx, ~ 23 hours prior to the departure of 837 from NRT. The "time added to the DM" was GMT, I think, but it did not have a date, so not sure how this figures into the prioritization. I think I must have been one of the first people added to the DM?)

Some days 837 is not full, it was less then 50% full in C on 7 Sep. Other days it is 100% full. I would imagine it might be full as you are traveling on a Friday, but this just a guess?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (1.05MM), AA Gold (1.4MM)
A Similar Experience

I had a similar experience two weeks ago with a TPE-NRT-SFO flight. The NRT-TPE upgrade was marked "Denied" on the UAL website itinerary right up until flight time, but when I got to TPE airport the GA said the NRT-SFO leg looked possible. I didn't use the SWU for the TPE-NRT leg, since it's not that long, but when I got to NRT I got my upgrade with no problem.

It felt like one of those "can't win" scenarios - if I had used the SWU for the TPE-NRT leg, there wouldn't have been an upgrade available for NRT-SFO, but since I didn't use the TPE-NRT, there WAS one available for the final leg.

Can't win. Can't break even. Can only stumble out of the starting gate.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
Also make sure they document the lifting of your SWU at JFK for the NRT leg. If you do get back on the list and clear, you don't want to lose another SWU by mistake.

Good luck on the upgrade! In my post-UA-bankruptcy travels, there was only ONE instance where I did not clear an upgrade, all others clear as late as boarding, and as early as booking (yes, still happens!).
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, NASA, Hotel California, & Heartbreak Hotel
Upgrade Denied, verbage error

The verbage is found on line is not correct as I'm in the same boat actually on the same flight! I'm still on the upgrade list and as many know a full C class doesn't mean you are out. In July I was in the same bogg and got an upgrade. So don't worry, if you are a 1k it is likely you do ok. Remeber that it is Status, Ticket Price, and the you BIS Miles for the year sets the ranking. Just call in and you see that you have a spot, I expect? PM me and mabey I'll buy a beer from the fun machine in the RCC at NRT!
Bangkok, eh!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--I will follow your great advice and report back on what happens. Nice to hear there will be a fellow FTer on board the flight.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:53 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by Suay Guy
Remeber that it is Status, Ticket Price, and the you BIS Miles for the year sets the ranking.
BIS miles have nothing to do with it.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I called United again and the rep I just talked to says that I was never on the waitlist in the first place. I said that didn't make any sense because the agent confirmed for me that I was waitlisted for all four segments. The rep says that no, you weren't on the waitlist, and she just didn't tell you. That does not make sense to me though, because up until today, the online itinerary showed nothing beside that segment, and today it's "upgrade request denied". So how could they deny my upgrade request if I wasn't even on the list in the first place?

This has been disappointing because I usually have such great experiences with United.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=auh2o]
Originally Posted by Suay Guy
Remeber that it is Status, Ticket Price, and the you BIS Miles for the year sets the ranking. /QUOTE]

BIS miles have nothing to do with it.

This thread seemed pretty comprehensive?

Quote:

At this point, I believe everyone awaiting an upgrade goes onto the UGDG list, which I believe is part of the Departure Management List. This list is cleared based on status, fare paid, time added, and then alphabetically based on last name. However, someone who has a BP code of FFCC (meaning paid for F/C, but isn't confirmed on a flight) on a flight will trump a 1K who is trying to upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I called United again and the rep I just talked to says that I was never on the waitlist in the first place.
Did you happen to print off a copy of your itin showing the upgrade request pending? I try to print off a copy of my itin anytime something on it changes, and I keep the prior copies as an "audit trail" of sorts. You may want to take a print of it right now, just to have it in hand before they start mucking around.

FWIW, I would also log an email to the 1K desk explaining the situation. Maybe they can intervene somehow before your departure. At the least, you'll create a written record of the situation with United - while they still have time to remedy it. Good luck.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks 767.

For some reason, on ual.com it did not show the upgrade pending--really not mention of waitlist at all, just looked like a normal economy class reservation until I logged on today and saw both the upgrade and the upgrade request denied.

Good idea to email the 1K desk. I'm doing that right now.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:09 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by transpac
This thread seemed pretty comprehensive?

I was agreeing with you. What about it was confusing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.