Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing Race and UA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by The Lurker
It seems really bad that AA, who has been a big sponsor, had a delayed flight, that might have ended up costing someone $1,000,000. I mean, look at it this way. If you absolutely must be there on time, don't go AA.

I know there is nothing AA could do about weather, but it just looks bad. Some might feel that Colin and Christie or Brandon and Nicole lost the $1,000,000 because of AA. Just not the best PR image in the world.
O.K, your right, AA lost Colin and Christie $1,000,000 It's just a t.v. show folks. Glad to see United get some good P.R. I guess they need it seeing as they have been in bankruptcy for some time now If you absoulutely must bank on a financially stable airline, don't go UA
Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:17 pm

Location: , The postings of mine are my opinions solely and do not reflect the opinions of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
I was so happy for Chip and Kim and I was EXREMELY happy that we carried the winners to DFW. About time to see something positive about us in any media form! Congrats Chip and Kim!!! Colin was such an abusive partner to Christy it was annoying.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:55 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I loove that show - it is so well done. Congrats. to the whole crew for the Emmy - awesome and well, well deserved.

First, my sincere Congratulations to Kim and Chip. They earned it. (ok - I was pulling for the Moms and then Nicole/Brandon).

Second, I was so proud of "The Moms" - to come in 4th place given their age, etc. - well, I never could have done it. I'm sure their families are very proud of them, and they should take heart in their significant accomplishment.

When does the new season start - I think Oct. 6?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:23 pm

In a second or two of footage during one of the final UA flights, I would swear Brandon and Nicole were in leather seats, eating a meal that didn't look coach-like. I'm curious if they got upgraded. I too was wondering how they got to Calgary - they showed a NW 747. Maybe NW to SEA, then AS to Calgary??
I'd love to know all the official rules (or at least pertaining to their flying do's and don'ts). I'm pretty sure they can't use any kind of elite status to get favor (although I hope they can turn in their tickets after the fact for credit). BUt can they play the "If you want lots of good, free publicity, you better put my full fare paying butt in first class or I'm going to someone else" card? Since they seem to be able to beg people for help or money, I think I'd be begging for someone at the first airport to "lend" me an extra OAG book
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I loove that show - it is so well done. Congrats. to the whole crew for the Emmy - awesome and well, well deserved.

First, my sincere Congratulations to Kim and Chip. They earned it. (ok - I was pulling for the Moms and then Nicole/Brandon).

Second, I was so proud of "The Moms" - to come in 4th place given their age, etc. - well, I never could have done it. I'm sure their families are very proud of them, and they should take heart in their significant accomplishment.

When does the new season start - I think Oct. 6?
It's been postponed to the end of October - not because of bad ratings - the ratings have been excellent, but because CBS doesn't want viewers to burn out on it ala Millionaire. They felt a month long break was sufficient, so look for it to start around the end of October.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Great Finale and Happy with the Winners

Originally Posted by TonySCV
I'm sure ALL the frequent fliers were just SCREAMING when they decided to check their luggage! I know I was. What a time waster

The cardinal rule about checked bags, "Whatever luggage you check has to stay with you". The moment they started thinking about taking UA out of Denver after checking in on AA - I was thinking "you're screwed".

Oh well... I'm thrilled Chip and Kim won.

- T
I really enjoyed this version of Amazing Race. I am sooooo glad Colin and Christie didnt win--she was a real whiner--did you see her eating the caviar--and he was smug. Chip and Kim were really nice people and nice to the people they met along the way. Flyertalk wouldnt have made the mistake with the luggage--plus all they had were backpacks so they would have wasted time waiting for checked luggage anyway....DUH....

Also glad that brains won out over physical strength.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Good Guys Finally Won

Originally Posted by silver springer
I really enjoyed this version of Amazing Race. I am sooooo glad Colin and Christie didnt win--she was a real whiner--did you see her eating the caviar--and he was smug. Chip and Kim were really nice people and nice to the people they met along the way. Flyertalk wouldnt have made the mistake with the luggage--plus all they had were backpacks so they would have wasted time waiting for checked luggage anyway....DUH....

Also glad that brains won out over physical strength.
Another team with a good work ethic, smarts and a great attitude come through. The only team to not check bags and take UA to boot. Good taste in airlines and smart in baggage handling.

We should have some FlyerTalkers apply to be in the Amazing Race, I think Team FT would rock in this race. Being able to adjust time zones, eat any kind of food (we tolerate airline food, don't we?), sleep anywhere and are able to find the best seats in the best places.

Barratt
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lurker
I know there is nothing AA could do about weather, but it just looks bad. Some might feel that Colin and Christie or Brandon and Nicole lost the $1,000,000 because of AA. Just not the best PR image in the world.
And just think, colin and christie get to be reminded of that fact everytime they check in for one of the six trips they won from aa.com for being first on one of the legs
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
So, I'm guessing that C/C and B/N weren't actually on "standby" but were more likely on the DM list for having no seat... if they were only "over by 6" they probably wouldn't have been at Y0, and they're authorized to buy full-Y tickets.

What do y'all think transpired in YYC that morning? Lots of discussion on other boards about how UA may have bent rules in getting C/C and B/N on -- also lots of discussion on how they could have become overbooked (likely from folks not realizing that the delay on AA 848 would send folks to at least attempt to gain flights on other carriers).

hamburgler
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I am very glad that Chip and Kim came in first of the final three teams. They certainly showed the greatest amount of respect for all the cultures they visited.

I'm also glad that United got a lot of airtime in the finale. I'm sure its a bummer for AA since they gave away all these free trips to the top finishers in the final few episodes. They got less airtime and a weather related delay for their YYC-DFW flight. I fly AA too so I have sympathy, but then again they aren't in Ch 11.

Too bad the United interiors were in the non-updated multicolored stripe motif. Blech!

Look forward to AR6 and a third Emmy!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1P
confused

Hi, I have a quick question about the delay on American. I thought that Chip and Kim called the night before the flight and were told it would be delayed for the following morning. How did they know that far in advance the flight would be delayed? Is there a late night flight from DFW that arrives really early morning? Also, I wonder if the the producers buy up all the remaining seats when one team gets on a plane, that seemed to happen a lot during the show. Would help to add some excitement.

Last thing...A couple years ago, I watched an interview with the creator of the Amazing Race (after the first season I think). He said that they would avoid selecting anyone with lots of travel experience because that wouldn't make it as interesting. On the other hand, I'd like to see some of the flyertalkers trying to climb up to the bridge in Auckland (I couldn't do it) Anyway, sorry I don't think there will be a Team FT on the Amazing Race, wish there could be...I'd definately do it!

Great show, makes me anxious about going somewhere again though! Can't wait to get back to NZ!!!

Scott
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bmoy210
We should have some FlyerTalkers apply to be in the Amazing Race, I think Team FT would rock in this race.
Doubt that would ever happen. By the show's own admission, they prefer people who have never traveled much before. Phil, the host, said that "it's just good TV" when you dump someone who's never left Iowa into a busy street in Thailand, completely out of their element.

I would tend to agree... and that's probably why I wasn't selected when I applied for this latest round.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SMLBoops
Hi, I have a quick question about the delay on American. I thought that Chip and Kim called the night before the flight and were told it would be delayed for the following morning. How did they know that far in advance the flight would be delayed? Is there a late night flight from DFW that arrives really early morning? Also, I wonder if the the producers buy up all the remaining seats when one team gets on a plane, that seemed to happen a lot during the show. Would help to add some excitement.

The flight was delayed because the aircraft failed to make it to YYC the night before due to fog. So, I guess that at some point that night AA would know the flight would be delayed in the morning.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I would tend to agree... and that's probably why I wasn't selected when I applied for this latest round.
My partner and I also applied for the race - denied of course. There's a section on the application where you have to list every country you have visited. Between the two of us, we have pretty much traveled the world, so I figured we didn't have a shot. In fact, this season one or both of us had been to most of the destinations on the show.

Regarding elite status, I don't know this for sure but someone told me that they are not allowed to give their frequent flyer numbers at all - I assume to level the playing field if there are any people with elite status. I'm sure they can request the credit later, it's just to prevent anyone getting an unfair advantage.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:45 pm

Luggage Question

How would the 2nd Airline (in this case UA at DEN) know that passengers have previously checked luggage at Calgary on AA, unless the passengers volunteered this?

I mean, here we have people walking up and wanting a ticket....maybe they "didn't have" any baggage on the other flight, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.