Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrade at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2004, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Operational Upgrade at Check-In

Does a United international check-in agent have the power to operationally upgrade a passenger at her discretion? Or, are operational upgrades granted only by United gate agents?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
It has happened at check-in, but in such cases I believe Inventory Management has already done the upgrade ahead of time.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The only 2 times it has ever happend to me at checkin were in Seattle and the person at the ticket counter said that "the station controller" had upgraded me based on being 1K and the person at the ticket counter said that they had light load and had op up'd all the 1K's.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
I've had it happen

Originally Posted by Colin
Does a United international check-in agent have the power to operationally upgrade a passenger at her discretion? Or, are operational upgrades granted only by United gate agents?
My History of op-ups at check-in:
LAX-LHR (int'l)
LAX-LAS
LAX-MCO
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:23 pm

My history
pre-ch11
LAX-HKG (all three on PNR at check-in) several times

ch-11
LAX-NRT (at check-in, agent didn't even know, entire PNR)
NRT-HKG (at the gate, entire PNR)
LHR-IAD (settlin' down on our E+ seats, CSR comes up to us and hands us BP's as he prints them, all 3 on PNR again)

and hopefully this winter as we go to HKG via SFO from SNA. I still doubt the check-in will do it at SNA, but crossing fingers. If you volunteer, does it increase your chances, epsecially on international flights?
Old Sep 19, 2004, 8:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've had it happen at check in many times (usually new york to london) and I've also had the check in agent tell me to make sure I was at the gate when they called my name, so they knew it was coming.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, SPG Blue, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador
Happened only once for my 10 trips to Asia the year. The check-in agent said that my NRT-TPE leg was already Op-up'ed due to oversell.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriot Silver, MP 1K, HH Silver
Last December on a flight from ORD to LHR, I was op-upgraded at check-in. When I went to the gate they were asking for volunteers. I asked if I would still get my upgrade on a later flight if I volunteered and the gate agent recommended I take the upgrade and fly now.

I was also OP upgraded on the return LHR - SFO but it was at the gate, which was fortunate as at check-in I found that I had been relocated to an E+ middle, which was very disturbing after confirm my E+ aisle the day before.

Eric
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
My history
pre-ch11
LAX-HKG (all three on PNR at check-in) several times

ch-11
LAX-NRT (at check-in, agent didn't even know, entire PNR)
NRT-HKG (at the gate, entire PNR)
LHR-IAD (settlin' down on our E+ seats, CSR comes up to us and hands us BP's as he prints them, all 3 on PNR again)

and hopefully this winter as we go to HKG via SFO from SNA. I still doubt the check-in will do it at SNA, but crossing fingers. If you volunteer, does it increase your chances, epsecially on international flights?
Were all of the above upgrades issued to a soon-to-be-2P General Member?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AirTravelLover
Were all of the above upgrades issued to a soon-to-be-2P General Member?
I don't know...I got an op-up LAX-SYD *right* after I requalified for 2P the year after I had my daughter (don't quit flying for two and a half years just because you're having babies, kids. You'll regret it. Trust me.). It's not completely unheard of.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:18 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by cordelli
I've had it happen at check in many times (usually new york to london) and I've also had the check in agent tell me to make sure I was at the gate when they called my name, so they knew it was coming.
Happened to me on my recent (2 weeks ago) trip LHR-JFK, both ways and both at checkin.

tht

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.