Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly 2/4 for Premier/Premier Exec

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:20 am

I got this e-mail too and I think this is kind of a bummer. I fly at least two intl roundtrips a year on united, on my own student budget dime, strictly to keep the premier membership (even when the fares on other airlines are lower). These are long coach flights, and not the best connections.....someone who takes two flights LAX to LAS & pays 50 bucks can reach the same status? I know the promo is not valid for the rock bottom fare, but even with midrange fares, one roundtrip costs me more than the whole enterprise for someone else. 50 dollars doesn't sound like customer loyalty, more like a mad dash for cash.....disappointing.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You have to do the 4 trips to move to 1P. I'm in the same boat being currently a 2P and evaluating options to move to 1P.

I'd prefer paying $50 and getting 3 extra months to requalify by end of next March....
Is this promo alive again ?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:08 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by entropy
it looks like you'd have to spend about $2000 to get 1P based on the cheaper M fares I've seen from SFO...

but a big q I have... what about QAUP fares? do those count as A (what the book in ) or Q ?
I doubt it.

T&Cs say:
Offer valid on roundtrip flights ... on paid published fares in classes F, A, P, C, D, Y, B and M.
When you fly a QAUP fare, you are flying a paid published "Q" fare that just happens to book into A class.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:09 am
cl_

Got one today - questionable value

I got my email on this today. Unless I am missing something, this is of no value to me (would have preferred the 2x EQM offer) due to the following:
a) I will take 2-3 RT trips (no chance of 4) during the qualifying time. The first two RT's will put me over 25k, so I will get the 25k anyway.
b) Corporate travel selects the tickets and fare codes, so I have no control over actually flying on the fares they require in the offer.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Cent
Originally Posted by Axey
not only by selling status for a measly $50 and a flight, but also by increasing the lines and E+ population to idiotic levels.

What on earth are the people at Mileage Plus doing?
Major devaluation of status...
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I got this, and may actually do it -- I might be moving to BTV next year, and UA is one of the only carriers there with mainline service... my Gold status on DL won't mean much with RJ service.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:21 am

Programs: *wood Plat, United 2P, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Has anyone looked for cheap fares within the relevant booking classes from NYC? Is it even possible to make this worthwhile considering the bottom threshold is M? I am a 2P right now, but had basically decided to dump UA and move all my travel to AA where I am Gold and have a shot at Plat with a couple of MR's. Just curious. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prudentbear
Major devaluation of status...
I don't see it happening. Considering the fare class requirements, I really don't think that many people are going to take advantage of it.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:00 am

Is it really such a devaluation of elite status?

The qualifying fares for this promotion are high enough that for most folks a MR would be considered quite expensive (witness all the related threads looking for help!) I spent about the same to get to 2P this year as it would cost to take 2 qualifying flights. For example the lowest qualifying LAX-LAS fare I saw was $1300 (due to the lack of published M and B fares.) the absolute cheapest LAX fare I have seen so far is $429 which gets you all the way to PSP. Pretty profitable for United.

Seems like the most likely takers are business travelers, especially those who can fly in a premium class (although my company might book a QUP fare to save money, which still wouldn't qualify!), IMHO it's a good promotion for UA to get some of those folks to switch carriers.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:59 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Fiancee received that one, she has 17K miles flown so far this year.. Now awaiting the 1K promo !!!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't know if this has been adressed yet, but the MP CRs tell me this is NOT targeted and anyone may sign up for it, regardless of past status or miles flown, etc.

IMHO I think it's devaluation of status too. Granted, the cost is somewhat on target...a few extra WST fares will get you to your status if you need it, and probably be less than 2 or 4 M fare tickets and $50. But still. Fly the miles, people. If you want status, earn it.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by GoDucks
Seems like the most likely takers are business travelers, especially those who can fly in a premium class (although my company might book a QUP fare to save money, which still wouldn't qualify!), IMHO it's a good promotion for UA to get some of those folks to switch carriers.
Why wouldn't a QUP fare qualify? A-class tickets are included in this promotion.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:38 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Talking How Annoying

I have 1000 miles to go to make Premier and received this offer today and in fact will have enough mileage to make Premier Exec before the end of the year! I wish they offered something to make 1k as I will qualify the hardway for Premier Exec, let's see what the next few months bring. Here's hoping!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Wife received the offer

I'm a 1K MM. My wife received the offer and she's never been close to Premiere...flys once or twice a year. I'd be peeved if I had earned Premiere Exec the "normal" way. I remember when being Premiere Exec was a big deal. It's sad to see United selling out its true frequent flyers.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:03 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
My mother received this by email. She's only 2 trips from making 2P all BIS. She already has one booked for Thanksgiving. The fare basis makes this offer far less attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.