Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

NYT: (Machinists) Union Asks Judge to Appoint a Trustee to Run United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.

I think registration required
he machinists union asked a bankruptcy court judge today to appoint a trustee to run United Airlines, ratcheting up what has become the most bitter labor-management conflict the airline industry has seen in over a decade.
About the non-funding of pensions....
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Labor Management is looking out for it's own interests no less then WHQ Management has been.

Back in 2000 they could have demanded UA fund their pensions, but instead wanted UA to fund their wallets with large pay raises.

When they "owned" the company, how well did they fund their pensions?

Both management teams were in it totally for themselves, and now both have to reap the consequences of those actions, as do, unfortunately, their members.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:44 pm
Suspended

It'd be interesting to see what the Unions do if a trustee is appointed and that trustee comes to the conclusion that not only can the pensions not be funded, but ever more concessions are going to be needed from the Unions.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not gonna happen. But then what do I know.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Actually, there is a snowball's chance that the judge will grant the request, seeing as UAL recently stated that it is back to square one without a clue as to when or how it will emerge from bankruptcy..
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, AA EXP, AS GOLD 75K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Avis PC, National ExEl
is this the end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.