Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Ted hook a brother up with 3 E+ seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can Ted hook a brother up with 3 E+ seats?

I know this has come up in various questions in the past, but I'm wondering if anyone has some new experience with this..

So I booked my family of 3 for BDL-IAD-LAS on Jul 8th. When I booked these tickets in Feb UA wouldn't let me secure 3 seats in E+ for my family so we're back in E- on the IAD-LAS and I am the only Premier traveler on the PNR. Looking at the seat maps now shows lots of open seats in E+. We only have a 45 minute layover in IAD so I imagine it may be hard to get the better seats at the gate. Is there any possibility I can call 24 hours before departure and try to get Ted to hook me up with some good E+ seats? BDL-IAD is on ACA still so obviously no E+ there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note - Since Ted is touted as a low-fare, leisure airline, I would think it might be a good policy for UA to allow more than 1 additional passenger to sit in E+. Maybe 2?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:12 pm

I think the agent in BDL should be able to assign you E+ seats on Ted when you check-in. You should get your BPs for BDL-IAD-LAS in BDL, so I would suggest asking the CSR if you can get three E+ seats at that point for IAD-LAS.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:20 pm

Ask when you checkin in BDL, if they say no, then ask the gate agent in BDL, and if they say no, then ask the gate agent in IAD. One of them should say yes.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:21 pm

Or, since you are allowed to have one non-elite companion with you, leave the other person out. Assign a window and an aisle seat in E+, leaving the middle open. Put the other person in an E- aisle seat. The middle seat will probably remain empty. Then, have the other person move up. Even if the other seat fills up, it's likely that the occupant will be happy to switch for an aisle seat, even if it's in E-. Just an idea...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA1P
Or, since you are allowed to have one non-elite companion with you, leave the other person out. Assign a window and an aisle seat in E+, leaving the middle open. Put the other person in an E- aisle seat. The middle seat will probably remain empty. Then, have the other person move up. Even if the other seat fills up, it's likely that the occupant will be happy to switch for an aisle seat, even if it's in E-. Just an idea...
I tried to do that, but they told me the combo had to involve the non-elite in the middle seat. No window/aisle or aisle/aisle combinations.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by BDLMSYDL
I tried to do that, but they told me the combo had to involve the non-elite in the middle seat. No window/aisle or aisle/aisle combinations.
This is now policy and it is generally enforced. It has been policy for a while, but not since the beginning of E+.

At check-in and after you can get whatever the agent will give you. I honestly don't know what the official policy is. I recommend getting whatever E+ you can get in advance and trying for the additional E+ at check-in. Many agents will move the E- to E+ automatically if you check in together and seats remain. Others will do it if you ask specifically. And some will not do it at check-in.

Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.