Wiki Posts
Search

Buttonhole

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Buttonhole

I know this has been mentioned before, but sometimes it is the easy little things that are the most glaring omissions. Buttonholes in the napkins. A fantastic idea! Great for keeping the shirt clean during turbulence, which always hits during meal service. I can't see how changing these napkins saved a signficant amount of money. During this Asian swing I have noted that Thai, Singapore, and Asiana all have these napkins. Why not United?

I would slice a hole myself, or cut one open with my scissors, but TSA confiscated them. Maybe I can ask for the fire axe in the cockpit. But I digress.

Does anyone know why they would have made such a move?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:08 pm

I miss the button hole too! They were really great (at least for men). I asked a FA about them last year, when they started to disappear and she told me two things. 1) they were discontinued to save money and 2) That United actually invented the button hole in the napkin back in the 50's !
Old Jun 13, 2004, 1:28 am

Whenever I miss them, I pull the 2 I have outta the closet... an FA wrapped up a bottle of wine in them and then gifted the package before disembarking once... ^
Old Jun 13, 2004, 1:16 pm

Don't know if it's true but I was told (either here or by an FA) that it wasn't a cost-saving measure as much as it was the provider abandoned ship at the time of bankruptcy. I guess it was a cost-saving measure in that the costs associated with the bankruptcy lawyers to keep the vendor would have been a lot...but my understanding is that this was not (for once) some guy in Chicago finding a way to pinch pennies. Too bad, because it was a great amenity.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:25 pm

As mentioned by Axey in this thread , just bring your own hole punch along, and you can re-live those wonderful days again!

Randomman
Old Jun 13, 2004, 3:10 pm

Programs: United 1K MIllion Miler, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by randomman
As mentioned by Axey in this thread , just bring your own hole punch along, and you can re-live those wonderful days again!

Randomman
If you're really desperate, you can even "saw" a hole using your plastic knife!
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:54 pm

I wouldn't damage UA property (owned or rented). It would cost my dear airline money. Getting actual buttonholed napkins is still my #1 request. Every meal that I get on UA, I get anxious and check the corners. Nada, zip, zero. At least OS includes miniature clothespins.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I always loved that contrasting thread they used. Now I just tuck.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:53 pm

Programs: United
My mom bought me a set of "airline napkins"--with the buttonhole--for my birthday a couple of years ago. I know, not the best present but maybe I'm the guy who already has everything. (I wish!) I think she bought them at Pier 1 or someplace like that. I did a Google search but the product didn't turn up right away.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

How come everytime I read the title of this thread I read "Butthole?"

I digress. I have started taking AA since LAS will be all TED soon and I'm happy to say that AA has the napkin with the buttonhole in F. Perhaps I should take a few samples along when I do fly the Friendly Skies, since the skies can be so much friendlier without salad dressing or sauce on your shirt or tie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.