Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to convert UAL miles to AA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
Any way to convert UAL miles to AA miles?

I asked the same question on the AA board, but they weren't sure over there.
I have about 12,000 orphaned UAL miles and would like to know the best, if any way, to get them laundered into AA miles, with the least loss of miles in the transaction.
Any suggestions?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Order some magazines with them. Or hit the coupon connection--I think you can now gift miles to others...
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Donate them to a children's foundation like Starlight Foundation or other ones that fly terminally ill kids to hospitals as well as grant their wishes.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:53 pm

Use 'em

Looks like a good excuse to go to Hawaii to me

10,000 miles (or is it 5k) will get you free roundtrip interisland flights on Aloha.

AA is having a First class air sale, too. Approx $1,200 BWI to HNL. Then use 'em miles to go to Kauaii. 48,000 Starwoods points gets ya 5 nights at the Princeville resort.

:-:
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by burgerwars
I asked the same question on the AA board, but they weren't sure over there.
I have about 12,000 orphaned UAL miles and would like to know the best, if any way, to get them laundered into AA miles, with the least loss of miles in the transaction.
Any suggestions?
If you have a Diners Club card, you can transfer 10k of those UAL miles to Diners Club, and then transfer them to 5k to 6.25k AA miles depending on whether you transfer them right away or wait until a 25% transfer bonus comes along.

If you don't have a Diners Club card, you can do the same, except you'll get the equivalent of 1k to 1.25k signup bonus miles for each of your first 12 months (with at least one purchase each month, I think), which will more than make up for the 3.75k to 5k miles that you're losing. (But Diners Club is $95 a year annual fee, so you have to factor that in.)

You can only transfer UA (or AA) miles into Diners Club in 10k increments, which is why I said you can transfer 10k of those UA miles, but not all 12k. (You'd have to "top off" to 20k to be able to transfer them all.)

All other forms of laundering will lose you WAY more miles, even if they cost you less $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.