Search

New Offer for IAD/DCA/BWI Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
New Offer for IAD/DCA/BWI Flyers

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...aroundtheworld

Because a little loyalty goes a long way.
The greatest thing in life to is to say you've been there. And now, United® gives you an opportunity to say you've been around the world. In addition to your Mileage Plus miles, earn one credit for every flight segment originating or terminating from BWI, Dulles or Reagan airports. Then redeem these flight credits for free travel. The more credits you earn, the further you can go - all the way to the ultimate reward – a free* trip around the world. And earning credits is easy since United offers the most flights to the most destinations from Washington, D.C.

United, United Express® and TedSM flights of $100 or more completed between May 1, 2004 and April 30, 2005 qualify for the offer and still earn Mileage Plus® miles. Registration and membership in Mileage Plus is required. Flights must be credited to your Mileage Plus account to qualify.

Special Awards for Washington, D.C. Travelers:
Fly 2 roundtrips (or 4 flight segments) ... Earn free regional domestic roundtrip ticket

Fly 4 roundtrips (or 8 flight segments)
... Earn free domestic roundtrip ticket

Fly 6 roundtrips (or 12 flight segments)
... Earn free roundtrip ticket to Hawaii or the Caribbean

Fly 8 roundtrips (or 16 flight segments)
... Earn free International roundtrip ticket

Fly 12 roundtrips (or 24 flight segments)
... Earn free ticket around the world

Lots of terms and conditions, so be sure to check out that link.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Thumbs up Thanks

I didn't see anything about it being allowed (or not) to be combined with other promos.

It's almost like a separate MP program just for the DC area -- works for me, I registered.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:16 am

Programs: 1K, Marriott PP
Seems too easy...

12 roundtrips in a year, in any fare class for a free RTW ticket? Seems too easy. I just signed up. I figure with my normal travel it will take about 4 months. Thanks United!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I didn't see anything about it being allowed (or not) to be combined with other promos.
From the terms and conditions

Offer is restricted to residents of the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Travel on flights operated by other airlines, such as United marketed codeshare and Star Alliance flights, does not qualify for this offer. Offer is combinable with other offers.

Looks like United is trying to make the first year very though for Independence air. They both hit them whith a long term promotion that will last for long time with lofty goals that can be attained (RTW in C) so that people will be engaged for a long time as well as hit Independence air with its weakness (international travel).

Very similar to the JFK fly two fly anywhere type of promotion aimed at other competitors that lack a similar route network.

It is going to be interesting to see what other IAD carriers will do to counter this given UA's size at IAD.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:37 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I fly through IAD 15-20 times per year. I may seriously consider driving up from RDU to do this. Am I crazy
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:58 am

Signed up. Also interesting that you can get tickets for Business/First Class provided you have enough trips/segments. There is also no BLACKOUT dates.

Also:

Starting June 1st you can visit http://united.com/viewatw and see your total credits and redeem your free award.

Last edited by h_united; Apr 27, 2004 at 7:15 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:37 am

Also signed up for this first thing this morning after seeing the huge centerfold ad in the Washington Post. One question: is it possible to fly around the world on United metal? Thought that service was mostly through Star Alliance partners.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
It's called hitting Independence Air with a sledgehammer!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:43 am

Could anyone try to translate the following t and c:

E-ticket purchase is required where available
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Nevermind, found an answer to my question.

Last edited by yevlesh2; Apr 27, 2004 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by CapitolHill
Also signed up for this first thing this morning after seeing the huge centerfold ad in the Washington Post. One question: is it possible to fly around the world on United metal? Thought that service was mostly through Star Alliance partners.
Interesting question. It was possible when United had the RTW via LHR-DEL-HKG and the same in reverse. I wonder if United has thought this through.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
Would have pushed a couple of trips back a week or two to hit the May 1 start date for this one. Good find!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Hold on, is this 12 round trip or 24 segments? So, would 3 8-segment MRs for example fullfill the requirement?
The Washington Post ad has listed the following:
2 Roundtrips/4 segments - Free Regional domestic
4 Roundtrips/8 segments - Free domestic
6 Roundtrips/12 Segments - Free Hawaii or Carribean
8 Roundtrips/16 Segments - Free international
12 Roundrips/24 Segments - RTW

I am assuming they are all in economy.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:58 am

Programs: AC *E
As is usual these days, the Ts & Cs are so complex as to be incomprehensible.

Two things I wonder about. First, it says that "ticketing and travel must be completed between May 1, 2004 and April 30, 2005". Does this mean that my already-booked flights to and from Reagan on May 5 will not count?

Also, it says that "Passenger must register for this offer for travel during the valid travel period of this offer in order to qualify for the program". Since the travel period starts May 1, it appears that everyone that has been registering now would in fact not qualify and would need to register starting May 1. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what it says.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
From the terms & conditions:

The Around the World free* ticket will be valid for qualifying roundtrip travel on United, United Express or Ted flights wherever United has service. Star Alliance partners may be used where United does not have service or publish fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.